Team 71.4 (69.9 without Ulis)

TOs
Team > 2/1
Fredrick 7/1
Connor > 4/1
Bohannon > 3/1
Toussaint 2/1 (just under)

My opinion...
Only 4 players should be shooting threes whenever they’re open. I can live with Bohannon taking good looks because of past history. Nunge belongs inside.

We are far better FT shooters than we’ve shown thus far. The team % and several individual % will improve.

We take care of the ball. Murray (1st year) is better than Nunge (4th year). Perkins and Ulis should get a few meaningful minutes in the next few games...to see if they can help with perimeter D and from the line...or if they’re just not ready yet.

5 of the 9 guys in the current rotation are 1st or 2nd year players playing in a conference where half the teams could be in the Sweet 16 and the other half can win on any given night. These 5 guys will be much better in March...which should terrify our opponents.

Fredrick is unreal. He needs to make a concerted effort to hunt more shots. We have the best or 2nd best top 3 in the conference (whos Illinois 3rd?). After that, there probably isn't much difference between our supporting cast and the rest of the league.

Nunge really does have a pretty good stroke, but you can't afford to wait for him to figure it out. I agree; you have enough shooters, play him inside, play him with his back to the basket.

Statistical Facts
3%
Fredrick 55.9
Garza 52.9
Wieskamp 42.9
Murray 42.9
All others < 29
*Bohannon 27.9
Nunge 15

FT%
Wieskamp 75.7
Murray 75.0
Garza 70.0
*Ulis 92.9 (13/14)
All others < 69
Team 71.4 (69.9 without Ulis)

TOs
Team > 2/1
Fredrick 7/1
Connor > 4/1
Bohannon > 3/1
Toussaint 2/1 (just under)

My opinion...
Only 4 players should be shooting threes whenever they’re open. I can live with Bohannon taking good looks because of past history. Nunge belongs inside.

We are far better FT shooters than we’ve shown thus far. The team % and several individual % will improve.

We take care of the ball. Murray (1st year) is better than Nunge (4th year). Perkins and Ulis should get a few meaningful minutes in the next few games...to see if they can help with perimeter D and from the line...or if they’re just not ready yet.

5 of the 9 guys in the current rotation are 1st or 2nd year players playing in a conference where half the teams could be in the Sweet 16 and the other half can win on any given night. These 5 guys will be much better in March...which should terrify our opponents.
We are 1/3 of the way thru our schedule. JBo has shot 2 FT's. Yes, 2. And made one. Side note: If we can't wait for Nunge to figure out his 3 ball... we can't wait for JBo either. Sit his butt on the bench!

What stands out to me from these stats is our team free throw shooting is not good enough and JBo is way below expectations. For Iowa to the win Big Ten, they need to get great production out of Garza (check), Weiscamp (has to shoot better when open, especially of late) and JBo.....and if JBo can't bring it....then it needs to come from someone else every night (CJ probably).

It was nice to see Fran give Keegan Murray significant minutes. I think he was on the court for around 20 minutes or so. Was about time Fran did this.

It was nice to see Fran give Keegan Murray significant minutes. I think he was on the court for around 20 minutes or so. Was about time Fran did this.
More than Patrick and Nunge combined. He earned them and Fran played him...as he should. And he still reminds me of Stokes.

Yeah I agree. I was beginning to think that Fran was being stubborn for not giving him more minutes. It was clear to most of us that Keegan can play.

More than Patrick and Nunge combined. He earned them and Fran played him...as he should. And he still reminds me of Stokes.
He reminds me of Chris Street.

Always around loose balls. Always in the right place. You could start him at the four and move Wieskamp down to the three.

Anyone among JBo, Connor and CJ are capable of coming off the bench but the issue there is Fran frequently doesn't bring in his first subs until around the fourteen minute mark. And unless there's foul trouble they don't come in a second time in the first half. He uses his bench similar to how George Raveling used to use it.

Latest posts