Spencer Lee...

We should be enjoying Spencer while he's a Hawkeye. Even for a long and historic program, he may well go down as the best ever to wear the Hawkeye singlet when you factor in his injuries and having to put up with a Covid year. Unless something strange happens - which is always a possibility in this sport - he should march straight through for a 4th title. He's a generational talent.

We should be enjoying Spencer while he's a Hawkeye. Even for a long and historic program, he may well go down as the best ever to wear the Hawkeye singlet when you factor in his injuries and having to put up with a Covid year. Unless something strange happens - which is always a possibility in this sport - he should march straight through for a 4th title. He's a generational talent.
I’ve religiously followed Hawkeye wrestling since I was a little child and I can tell you for sure that Spencer Lee is the best pound for pound wrestler in history, even without his injuries. Better than Cael and better than Gable. They may have more wins numerically in college, but neither of them was as dominant in all of their matches as Lee. Spencer absolutely mauls his competition with bonus points every match.

And just wait, folks…becoming only the fifth 4 time champ in history is just the beginning. He’s even better at freestyle. I 100% see Spencer making two successful runs at Olympic gold, and then taking over for Tom as head coach of the Hawkeyes.

I’ve religiously followed Hawkeye wrestling since I was a little child and I can tell you for sure that Spencer Lee is the best pound for pound wrestler in history, even without his injuries. Better than Cael and better than Gable. They may have more wins numerically in college, but neither of them was as dominant in all of their matches as Lee. Spencer absolutely mauls his competition with bonus points every match.

And just wait, folks…becoming only the fifth 4 time champ in history is just the beginning. He’s even better at freestyle. I 100% see Spencer making two successful runs at Olympic gold, and then taking over for Tom as head coach of the Hawkeyes.
He's right there, no doubt. Really, the only "chink in his armor" is his gas tank. He's so used to winning early that things can get interesting if he gets pushed into the third period, and, I agree, he will be a freestyle monster.

As far as best ever, boy, it's hard to leave Dake off that list. He was as dominant of a collegiate wrestler as I've seen. Four straight titles at four different weight classes is something else. I happened to catch a freestyle match with Nolf (who's no slouch), and Dake made him look silly. Won by technical superiority in the first.

The interesting thing about Cael is that he may be the most cerebral NCAA wrestler in history. He rarely was dominant, but always seemed like he was in control. He knew how to get a lead, then keep it. He also had a mean ankle pick as a larger wrestler.

Going undefeated is an amazing feat, but, keeping it real, he rode his defense and positioning more than anything. I guess the question is, is, in retrospect, should that be given the same "weight" as being dominant offensively when discussing the GOAT? Not sure I know the answer but it's hard to argue with the results.

Mr. Gilman would like to have a word with you about that Olympic prediction.

Which raises an interesting question: with no wrestling rules in place, would you rather meet Gilman or Lee in a dark alley with nobody around? (I realize this is kind of a morbid question, but hey, I live in Waterloo and we've got lots of unlit alleys.) While Lee might might break my arm off with his tight grip, I have a feeling Gilman would just beat me unconscious and leave me for dead.

Mr. Gilman would like to have a word with you about that Olympic prediction.

Which raises an interesting question: with no wrestling rules in place, would you rather meet Gilman or Lee in a dark alley with nobody around? (I realize this is kind of a morbid question, but hey, I live in Waterloo and we've got lots of unlit alleys.) While Lee might might break my arm off with his tight grip, I have a feeling Gilman would just beat me unconscious and leave me for dead.
Respectfully, Gilman’s a Penn State tool. Spencer is miles better.

The only reason Gilman made the team is because Spencer is hurt. Gilman should’ve bought Lee a Rolex for the gift and I said so here back when he made it. Spencer’s gonna walk through him.

Respectfully, Gilman’s a Penn State tool. Spencer is miles better.

The only reason Gilman made the team is because Spencer is hurt. Gilman should’ve bought Lee a Rolex for the gift and I said so here back when he made it. Spencer’s gonna walk through him.
Perhaps. But you don't become a World Champion in 2021 and follow it up with a runner-up World finish in 2022 if you're a slouch. Gilman is an example of somebody who was very good in college, but who's improved dramatically and become elite. Lee/Gilman is a match I'd pay to watch.

Perhaps. But you don't become a World Champion in 2021 and follow it up with a runner-up World finish in 2022 if you're a slouch. Gilman is an example of somebody who was very good in college, but who's improved dramatically and become elite. Lee/Gilman is a match I'd pay to watch.
Never said Gilman was a slouch.

But he is not even in the same zip code as Spencer Lee.

I am really curious as to how Lee will do on the world stage. I mean, for most of the last 4 years he's been wrestling boys. Very different than wrestling 25-30 yr old men who've been around the block.

Latest posts