SoundOff

tm3308

I caught a few minutes of tonight's show as I was on my way to the gas station, and I had to listen to the hosts spend a good 2-3 minutes trying to figure out what remaining trophy games were on Iowa's schedule. Not 10 seconds before that search for knowledge began, one of them was using "we" when talking about the team.

Call me a fan snob, but in what universe is it acceptable to talk like that about the team and not know that Wisconsin is a trophy game for Iowa? They even rattled off the remaining games on the schedule, and reading off "Wisconsin" didn't ring any bells. They had to ******* Google it.

I figured I probably wouldn't be a regular listener anymore, but tonight my concerns were absolutely confirmed. My God, they're terrible.

It's absolutely painful trying to listen to these guys. Much like when Miller and Deace left in the morning for TNT, they've now taken over our beloved sound-off. Miller, Podolak and Jimmy Z to this.... painful. I can't listen to them in the morning and I won't listen to them on Sound-off. Wake me up when they're "relocated".

I caught a few minutes of tonight's show as I was on my way to the gas station, and I had to listen to the hosts spend a good 2-3 minutes trying to figure out what remaining trophy games were on Iowa's schedule. Not 10 seconds before that search for knowledge began, one of them was using "we" when talking about the team.

Call me a fan snob, but in what universe is it acceptable to talk like that about the team and not know that Wisconsin is a trophy game for Iowa? They even rattled off the remaining games on the schedule, and reading off "Wisconsin" didn't ring any bells. They had to ******* Google it.

I figured I probably wouldn't be a regular listener anymore, but tonight my concerns were absolutely confirmed. My God, they're terrible.

They should do a little research about Iowa football and its history. You can't fake it with Hawkeye fans. I also heard a discussion of Nebraska football at one point. That alone should be grounds for a 1 show suspension. NEVER talk about Nebraska football unless it is being made fun of on an Iowa football call-in show. They are better than I thought they'd be, but my bar was pretty low starting out. But that act will wear thin.

too slick, lacking parochial / provincial / homey character you want in a show like that. If it were not for Eddie, it would not be worth tuning in.

I sent an email to Van several weeks ago letting him know how much I despise those two. I strongly suggest others to do the same. The show is absolutely impossible to listen to now.

LOL, Ross Peterson was going on this morning how he got to meet Tim Dwight yesterday. Talking about how he was his idol and all that. Oh, did I mention that he had to actually go up to him and ask if he was Tim Dwight?

I sent an email to Van several weeks ago letting him know how much I despise those two. I strongly suggest others to do the same. The show is absolutely impossible to listen to now.

I was thinking about doing this for the morning show because Travis is such a pervert. I can't play the show when I'm taking my daughter to school and wouldn't wanna hear him perv off anyway. Is Ross ok? I kinda think he is. I think I'll email Van telling him to take off Travis.

I was thinking about doing this for the morning show because Travis is such a pervert. I can't play the show when I'm taking my daughter to school and wouldn't wanna hear him perv off anyway. Is Ross ok? I kinda think he is. I think I'll email Van telling him to take off Travis.

Riiiight. I'm sure Van will be waiting with bated breath for your e-mail.

I've thought they have been adequate replacements...if not Jon and Jim...but who would be? Obviously Jim is irreplaceable. Who would you suggest as a replacement for Jon?

^ someone who can name Iowa's trophy games without 2 minutes of Googling

This. I mean seriously. It'd be one thing if they just wanted to play it off as having the hosts strictly as moderators and not necessarily Iowa fans. But when they're going to talk about what "we" did on Saturday, etc., like they're Iowa fans to the core, then they have to be held to a different standard.

I agree that the morning show sucks (most of that is on Tim), but I think that the new Sound Off has been a surprise. Travis seems to be completely different on that show than he is on the morning show. Ross is real good too. I know that this will be unpopular but there would be multiple times where I would absolutely cringe listening to Z stepping over everyone and then throwing in a comment about a game from the 60's. I know that Jon is the facilitator of this site, but he came off a little smug on the show too. Probably easy to do given the tone of the calls last year. Anyway I wouldn't be so quick to rush to judgment based on 10 minutes of listening.

I agree that the morning show sucks (most of that is on Tim), but I think that the new Sound Off has been a surprise. Travis seems to be completely different on that show than he is on the morning show. Ross is real good too. I know that this will be unpopular but there would be multiple times where I would absolutely cringe listening to Z stepping over everyone and then throwing in a comment about a game from the 60's. I know that Jon is the facilitator of this site, but he came off a little smug on the show too. Probably easy to do given the tone of the calls last year. Anyway I wouldn't be so quick to rush to judgment based on 10 minutes of listening.
10 minutes of listening? I've been listening to the show for nearly 30 years. I should say I listened to it for nearly 30 years. It's no longer part of my game day ritual.

That Weather Girl at Channel 13 is getting out of town, will they find some other vaguely cute sounding girl to flirt with in the mornings? Cottlar had to call some woman in San diego or something and send her candy in the mail to get on-air interviews. Those were just weird in retrospect.

That Weather Girl at Channel 13 is getting out of town, will they find some other vaguely cute sounding girl to flirt with in the mornings? Cottlar had to call some woman in San diego or something and send her candy in the mail to get on-air interviews. Those were just weird in retrospect.

brinson with the girls from twin peaks is just as bad

Was Zabel the best overall communicator in the world? No, probably not. Did Jon come off as a little high and mighty every so often when the calls got ridiculously stupid? Sure, but so would just about anyone who wasn't ready to lop off Ferentz's head.

Bottom line: Jon and Z were, by far, better fits for a Hawkeye post-game call in show than what we have now.

Was Zabel the best overall communicator in the world? No, probably not. Did Jon come off as a little high and mighty every so often when the calls got ridiculously stupid? Sure, but so would just about anyone who wasn't ready to lop off Ferentz's head.

Bottom line: Jon and Z were, by far, better fits for a Hawkeye post-game call in show than what we have now.
While I loved listening to Jon and Z, I do think that this year's show isn't as big of a drop off as I thought. I definitely still listen. It also helps my four hour drive home go quicker.

Latest posts