So whats the ceiling for the Iowa Program?

longtimer

Here we are in the 9th year with Fran at the head of the program. 5-5 in the Big ten with most of us just hoping we make the tournament. Is that it? We have probably one of McCaffrey's more talented and experienced teams that is entertaining offensively and less so defensively. Very competitive with the exception of the upper tier Big Ten teams. So is this the level we should expect and hope for the program? Hard to believe we will be better next year. Cook will most likely be gone (although he would be wise to stay and finish his degree as he may need it) and Baer graduates after really providing a solid contribution. Can't see the player coming in next year will take us to a new level? Carton didn't consider Iowa and IMO Foster isn't coming to Iowa either. I guess after watching Miller's 69-70 team and Olsen's final 4 and Davis's run with the great Raveling recruits I always had hope of winning a Big Ten title and making some serious noise in the tournament (every now and then) Is that gone?

Cook will most likely be gone
Again, where are you thinking he’ll go? Even if you don’t want to listen to me, there are zero analysts that even have Cook in the talk of being drafted after his year so far. He’ll be here next year hoping to make the board then.

Cook’s biggest mistake was coming to Iowa. Coached at Purdue or Wisconsin he’d already be gone. The athleticism is there but the refinements that are crucial to take the next step aren’t.

Would be very interesting to see you argue that one considering they’ve already done that under Fran.
I was thinking along the lines of this team and the future teams Fran will be able to recruit which, if this multi-year slide continues, are only going to get skinnier, whiter, and eastern Iowa-er.

Again, where are you thinking he’ll go? Even if you don’t want to listen to me, there are zero analysts that even have Cook in the talk of being drafted after his year so far. He’ll be here next year hoping to make the board then.

Cook’s biggest mistake was coming to Iowa. Coached at Purdue or Wisconsin he’d already be gone. The athleticism is there but the refinements that are crucial to take the next step aren’t.
What you are arguing is that Cook isn’t ready for the NBA / wont get drafted, to which nobody will disagree with you on.

That doesn’t however mean he won’t try to go for it, he’d be hardly the first guy to go to the league early and not get drafted. If you listen to everything he, Fran, and our other players have said it sounds like he’s as good as gone after the year.

Again I agree that it’s not a smart decision, but that’s a whole different topic.

Cook doesn't have good ball skills. A lot of that is natural talent and the rest is practice on your own. Coaches have little impact on improving a players ball skills.

What you are arguing is that Cook isn’t ready for the NBA / wont get drafted, to which nobody will disagree with you on.

That doesn’t however mean he won’t try to go for it, he’d be hardly the first guy to go to the league early and not get drafted. If you listen to everything he, Fran, and our other players have said it sounds like he’s as good as gone after the year.

Again I agree that it’s not a smart decision, but that’s a whole different topic.
I just don’t think he bolts. The feedback he got last year caused him to stay, and he’s had a very lackluster year this season comparatively. I don’t see any NBA folks telling him he has a chance, so in my mind where would he think he could go?

Have to wait and see I guess

Fran's ceiling depends highly on how the instate talent is during his tenure. I think its equally possible that his best teams are yet to come as it is that he's already had them.

Last edited:
Cook needs work. Ball handling, jump shot , defense. He could start as a bricklayer today, but that's not his chosen career path. Hope people that care about him encourage him to stay.

Fran's ceiling depends highly on how the instate talent is during his tenure. I think its equally possible that his best teams are yet to come as it is that he's already had them.
Not getting DJ though might hurt, especially if it’s followed by XF going elsewhere.

ceiling-options-very-low-ceiling-basement-ideas-low-basement-ceiling-options-modern-style-basement-ceiling-ideas-for-low-ceilings-ideas-for-finishing-a-cheap-basement-ceiling-options-for-unfinished-ba.jpg

Low and incomplete with a taste of the Big Dance once every four years or so.

Iowa Basketball under Fran:

2012-13: Start 11-2, lose 7 of 10
2013-14: Start 19-6, lose 7 of 8
2014-15: Start 15-10, WIN 7 of 9
2015-16: Start 19-4, lose 7 of 10
2017-18: Start 11-12, lose 7 of 10
2018-19: Start 16-3, ???

This is why it’s difficult to be optimistic about Iowa basketball. Shows Fran teams will falter when it matters most.

Last edited:
I was thinking along the lines of this team and the future teams Fran will be able to recruit which, if this multi-year slide continues, are only going to get skinnier, whiter, and eastern Iowa-er.
No one knew how to go Iowa like Mr. Davis. After BJ, Roy and Eddie (inherited), he comes back with these beauties: skinner, triple threat lookingbill and tubbs. He found similar gems from other states later when he snagged bartels, angle and dale reed from Wi, In an Wy.

Iowa Basketball under Fran:

2012-13: Start 11-2, lose 7 of 10
2013-14: Start 19-6, lose 7 of 8
2014-15: Start 15-10, WIN 7 of 9
2015-16: Start 19-4, lose 7 of 10
2017-18: Start 11-12, lose 7 of 10
2018-19: Start 16-3, ???

This is why it’s difficult to be optimistic about Iowa basketball. Shows Fran teams will falter when it matters most.
Talk about bending numbers wow.

In 2012-2013 you conveniently left out winning 3 of our final four (which included getting jobbed against Michigan State in the BTT) that team happened to make a run to the NIT final.

Why did you leave out a year?

Also by virtue of having a 10+ game non conference schedule where Iowa is usually heavy favorites in 8 games, ya it should be expected that our early season record looks good, almost every P6 team does.

Also by virtue of the fact that Iowa hasn’t won the BTT or the National Championship, that’s two extra losses cooked into your analysis every season.

I fully understand that some of Fran’s team have faltered down the stretch for whatever reason, but each season is unique based on schedule, injuries, etc. a few of Fran’s teams have actually played really good ball down the stretch.

For instance, Iowa is going to be an underdog or pick em in likely 6 of the remaining 10 games, does that mean they fell apart if they went 4-6 (4-8 with current two game losing streak)?

Cook doesn't have good ball skills. A lot of that is natural talent and the rest is practice on your own. Coaches have little impact on improving a players ball skills.

Seriously no. Coaches have big impact.

So Iowa football isnt developmental?

Here we are in the 9th year with Fran at the head of the program. 5-5 in the Big ten with most of us just hoping we make the tournament. Is that it? We have probably one of McCaffrey's more talented and experienced teams that is entertaining offensively and less so defensively. Very competitive with the exception of the upper tier Big Ten teams. So is this the level we should expect and hope for the program? Hard to believe we will be better next year. Cook will most likely be gone (although he would be wise to stay and finish his degree as he may need it) and Baer graduates after really providing a solid contribution. Can't see the player coming in next year will take us to a new level? Carton didn't consider Iowa and IMO Foster isn't coming to Iowa either. I guess after watching Miller's 69-70 team and Olsen's final 4 and Davis's run with the great Raveling recruits I always had hope of winning a Big Ten title and making some serious noise in the tournament (every now and then) Is that gone?
If you lower your expectations of Iowa, your life will be more enjoyable.

Many of the best Iowa HS players have lowered their expectations and have moved on.

But, hoping for the best. Hope springs eternal.

Perhaps that new, little PG will be the jet Iowa so desperately needs.

The ceiling is Tom Davis-level basketball. The floor is Lickliter-level. Deal with it cause that's what it's gonna be like for at least the next couple of years.

Latest posts