So are we excited about basketball?

longtimer

OK so i'm not a Fran Fan. Looking at the 2 Ball State/Bradley level guards we now have in the fold while a difference maker from Bettendorf Iowa takes the floor at Ohio State this year doesn't feel great. In talking to a person Close to Foster several weeks ago he said no way he was coming to Iowa. Maybe he has changed his mind since then but one has to ask why?
McCaffrey isn't going to have a championship level team at Iowa, Isn't going to make noise in the tournament and isn't going to send a bunch of players tot the NBA. Hasn't done it so far and this doesn't look like the answer
Wow that was about as negative as I get

I’m excited about this coming season. I’m most interested to see Toussaint, Frederick, and the return of Nunge. If those guys can play near the level I expect, I think we can sniff the tournament.

As it stands today I’m not excited about the 2020 recruiting class. If we don’t land Foster I would consider the class a MASSIVE MASSIVE failure.

Hawks have finished better than their pre-season expectations in 6 out of 9 seasons under Fran and 2 of those seasons he failed to were his first. They've also made 4 out of the last 6 NCAA tournaments after only making it 3 times in 14 years prior to that. I am hopeful our coach, who is like the 11th or 12th highest paid coach in the conference can pull another miracle out of his hat.

Last edited:
Hawks have finished better than their pre-season expectations in 6 out of 9 seasons under Fran and 2 of those seasons he failed to were his first. They've also made 4 out of the last 6 NCAA tournaments after only making it 3 times in 14 years prior to that. I am hopeful our coach, who is like the 11th or 12th highest paid coach in the conference can pull another miracle out of his hat.

You know it’s not good when your hoping your coach can pull a miracle out of his hat. :(

He reminds me of a patient on life support. You stand by them and hope and pray for a miracle as the patience just seems to linger in a status quo condition. Sure he has some good players but can he ever put together great team that can get Iowa to the next level? Ten years says no

I am wishing him the best but it shouldn’t take ten years to get there.

All great coaches have an innate ability to teach players to excel on both ends of the court. I really miss watching Lute put together well rounded basketball players. Too bad he left. Tom was great with Ravelings recruits, and George just wasn’t great at game time adjustments but he was by far the best recruiter.

I always wish all the Iowa coaches the best even though I think change can be good for a stale program.

My twenty-three year old son asked me what I thought a Urban Meyer coached football would look like at Iowa. The same it looked like at Ohio State. With name recognition comes success and better recruits.

I serious believe that the powers that be at Iowa wouldn’t want a flamboyant and highly successful coach who could be come so popular with the fans that he could start calling the shots.

That would be a nightmare for the prudes that run the University of Iowa. They are the nerds that hold athletics back. As long as the Big Ten Network keeps rolling in the multimillion dollar revenues nothing is going to change.

DAMN NERDS!!!

“What if C A T really spelled DOG?”

What if four and five loss seasons really spelled NATIONAL CHAMPIONS??

Sorry for the football chatter but the same thing applies to basketball. They got lucky with Lute but don’t ever expect Iowa to go hire a already proven Lute like coach. Goes against the prudes religion and philosophy. :(:(:mad::mad::mad:

Still wishing Fran the best. Some of you think a couple of four star recruits is a sign that things are possibly improving. I certainly hope so.!

You know it’s not good when your hoping your coach can pull a miracle out of his hat. :(

He reminds me of a patient on life support. You stand by them and hope and pray for a miracle as the patience just seems to linger in a status quo condition. Sure he has some good players but can he ever put together great team that can get Iowa to the next level? Ten years says no

All great coaches have an innate ability to teach players to excel on both ends of the court. I really miss watching Lute put together well rounded basketball players. Too bad he left. Tom was great with Ravelings recruits, and George just wasn’t great at game time adjustments but he was by far the best recruiter.

I always wish all the Iowa coaches the best even though I think change can be good for a stale program.

My twenty-three year old son asked me what I thought a Urban Meyer coached football would look like at Iowa. The same it looked like at Ohio State. With name recognition comes success and better recruits.

I serious believe that the powers that be at Iowa wouldn’t want a flamboyant and highly successful coach who could be come so popular with the fans that he could start calling the shots.

That would be a nightmare for the prudes that run the University of Iowa. They are the nerds that hold athletics back. As long as the Big Ten Network keeps rolling in the multimillion dollar revenues nothing is going to change.

DAMN NERDS!!!

Sorry for the football chatter but the same thing applies to basketball. They got lucky with Lute but don’t ever expect Iowa to go hire a already proven Lute like coach. Goes against the prudes religion and philosophy. :(:(:mad::mad::mad:

Still wishing Fran the best. Some of you think a couple of four star recruits is a sign that things are possibly improving. I certainly hope so.!

He routinely performs above expectations and his pay grade, so I am hopeful that can continue this season, which was what the OP was asking? If there was any hope or excitement? That fact gives me at least a little hope and has me at least a little excited for the season because when it comes to pre-season expectations for hoops, Fran's Iowa teams typically blow that out of the water. I think it says plenty about the expectations and really it's a deafening indictment on Iowa basketball in general, we were horrible before Fran got here for over a decade. He's got us back on the path of respectable and routinely dancing again but there are no real signs of that really ever getting better at the current moment. I hope he can continue to over perform but this season seems like an uphill battle with the deflections from the team since last year. I still expect NCAA and will every season he remains our coach.

Not much excitement here. We know what we will get with Fran and crew. If Bo sits (and he should if not fully right), and a PG does not emerge, it will be a bottom half finish.

Not much excitement here. We know what we will get with Fran and crew. If Bo sits (and he should if not fully right), and a PG does not emerge, it will be a bottom half finish.

See, that's why I am sorta excited. Fran keeps finishing in the top half with no PG for the most part, so I am kind of hopeful they can continue to defy odds.

DAMN NERDS!!!

Another "next level" post. I'll bet anyone here 1000 bucks that if we get to a sweet 16, Bigd will be still saying Fran can't get us to the next level. If anyone wants to say they want more than what Fran has accomplished, that's fine. But to say 10 years shows Fran can't get us to the next level, when he's already raised us probably 5 levels, reeks of someone who will always say "next level" no matter what level he reaches.

OK so i'm not a Fran Fan. Looking at the 2 Ball State/Bradley level guards we now have in the fold while a difference maker from Bettendorf Iowa takes the floor at Ohio State this year doesn't feel great. In talking to a person Close to Foster several weeks ago he said no way he was coming to Iowa. Maybe he has changed his mind since then but one has to ask why?
McCaffrey isn't going to have a championship level team at Iowa, Isn't going to make noise in the tournament and isn't going to send a bunch of players tot the NBA. Hasn't done it so far and this doesn't look like the answer
Wow that was about as negative as I get
A friend of mine knows someone who knows someone who talked to Foster and Foster said he's "pretty sure he's going to Iowa State but is still going to take his visits". That sounds like really bad news but if it's true, he's probably not saying "no way" several weeks ago. Who knows tho.

This along with the mid-major talent have resulted in 0 BTT weekend appearances and 0 Sweet 16 appearances and 0 Big Ten Conference or Tourney champions

With the Murray twins now committing, that fills Iowa's 2020 class. No Foster.

This along with the mid-major talent have resulted in 0 BTT weekend appearances and 0 Sweet 16 appearances and 0 Big Ten Conference or Tourney champions

That doesn't fill Iowa's class.

I'm excited about this year, but I've almost always been excited for Iowa basketball to come with the exception of the Lickliter years. I still watched the games, but knew what we were and it was so hard to watch.

In regards to this years team. I'm excited to see the unknowns that we haven't seen yet. Touissant, Fredrick, Bakari, Nunge and McCaffery. Nunge is who I think will make a difference this year. Our bigs can play high low with both being able to knock down a jumper. That creates some problems for other teams. We have shooters that can knock down shots if defense collapses. Our defense is where I'm hoping to see more improvement.

I believe that Luka will be the leader of this team and will be that annoying player that other teams despise.

I'm fine with Fran as long as he keeps focusing more on defense. With the pay for play that happens under the table. I'm not sure how you are supposed to compete if you aren't paying also. I would have to assume Iowa doesn't pay based on recruits.

yep, hopefully they can keep winning despite recruiting, coaching pay and national expectations like they have been but you gotta imagine that is eventually gonna dry up. I am hoping for a step forward for the program but that doesn't appear likely with the way things have gone this off season. Again, we'll see if our coach can make something out of nothing like he has done so many times in the past, I just don't know if it's reasonable to expect it.

Correct. Iowa absolutely takes Foster if he wants us.

Iowa will take 2 more if they want to come. The scholarship distribution could easily be as follows:

Bohannon (lets say he redshirts)
Fredrick
Garza
Nunge
Pemsl
Toussaint
Wieskamp

Incoming FR
Ulis
Perkins
Murray
Murray

Walkons
Connor
Patrick

Could still take 2 more.

Iowa will take 2 more if they want to come. The scholarship distribution could easily be as follows:

Bohannon (lets say he redshirts)
Fredrick
Garza
Nunge
Pemsl
Toussaint
Wieskamp

Incoming FR
Ulis
Perkins
Murray
Murray

Walkons
Connor
Patrick

Could still take 2 more.

That's 16 players that can actually play counting Till.

I'm excited about this year, but I've almost always been excited for Iowa basketball to come with the exception of the Lickliter years. I still watched the games, but knew what we were and it was so hard to watch.

In regards to this years team. I'm excited to see the unknowns that we haven't seen yet. Touissant, Fredrick, Bakari, Nunge and McCaffery. Nunge is who I think will make a difference this year. Our bigs can play high low with both being able to knock down a jumper. That creates some problems for other teams. We have shooters that can knock down shots if defense collapses. Our defense is where I'm hoping to see more improvement.

I believe that Luka will be the leader of this team and will be that annoying player that other teams despise.

I'm fine with Fran as long as he keeps focusing more on defense. With the pay for play that happens under the table. I'm not sure how you are supposed to compete if you aren't paying also. I would have to assume Iowa doesn't pay based on recruits.

“I would have to assume Iowa doesn't pay based on recruits.”

Lol, I don’t know if you meant that the way it read. :p

Another "next level" post. I'll bet anyone here 1000 bucks that if we get to a sweet 16, Bigd will be still saying Fran can't get us to the next level. If anyone wants to say they want more than what Fran has accomplished, that's fine. But to say 10 years shows Fran can't get us to the next level, when he's already raised us probably 5 levels, reeks of someone who will always say "next level" no matter what level he reaches.
5 levels? Lol what?

Latest posts