Since Iowa is a developmental program...

SomersHawk

WHY NOT DEVELOP Brian Ferentz into the next Head Coach as the path he has been following is pointing that direction? He has been progressing up the food chain under good mentors and looks to have great attributes to be the next HC. Is he ready now? NO, but each passing year he is getting more prepared to be so. Too bad if he happens to be the coaches son. I'd much rather have someone born and bred a Hawkeye be groomed for the position than roll the dice with outside blood coming in and changing the entire culture the program has had for 40 years. I don't know of another "Bob Stoops" out there to go after and we are not hiring a big name coach away from anyone else.

WHY NOT DEVELOP Brian Ferentz into the next Head Coach as the path he has been following is pointing that direction? He has been progressing up the food chain under good mentors and looks to have great attributes to be the next HC. Is he ready now? NO, but each passing year he is getting more prepared to be so. Too bad if he happens to be the coaches son. I'd much rather have someone born and bred a Hawkeye be groomed for the position than roll the dice with outside blood coming in and changing the entire culture the program has had for 40 years. I don't know of another "Bob Stoops" out there to go after and we are not hiring a big name coach away from anyone else.
Friends don’t let friends post drunk.

You need new friends.

You're not a real Hawkeye until you argue the school should change it's name to Ferentz University. Back to CyFanatic poser.

Why not develop Phil Parker into the next head coach? Iowa has been developing him a lot longer than BF.

Seriously, if KF retired today, it's really no contest who is the best internal candidate on the Iowa coaching staff. Its Parker and it's not even close.

Let Brian Ferentz go get a head job at a non-P5 program and make his mistakes there. If Brian Ferentz proves his mettle, Coach Parker would be ready to retire right around when Brian starts hitting his stride.

You could argue that if he is REALLY good, you might have a bidding war on your hands against blue-blood programs. But I would think the family history would give us a huge leg up in such a war.

And if he proves to not be that good of a head coach, you dodged a bullet. And let's be honest, what are the odds that the best possible person for the job just happens to be in the same family as the current coach? Seems unlikely, I would like to see it proven before trusting that route.

CEO-2.png

http://freakonomics.com/2011/08/05/...next-generation-whats-the-key-thing-to-avoid/

I do not want the reins/head coaching job 'handed' to Brian F., period unless he has proven himself for about 5 years as a head coach somewhere else in D1 or D1-AA, using the old names of playing level. Heck even Phil Parker would be an experiment jumping to head coaching the hawks so not sure about that being the hire.

Bob Cummings was a high school coach, yes he was a hawk, he coached really big time high school football, yes he had some decent hawk teams and almost had a winning season but he didnt.

Heck, Ray Nagle had been a head coach and won a WAC conference title at Utah and he had success at Iowa with two 5-5 records which was pretty good back then and the black player boycott really doomed one of his better teams.

Hayden Fry had success at both SMU and North Texas before coming to Iowa. He proved his head coaching chops twice before totally TOTALLY turning around Iowa's fortunes on the gridiron.

Kirk Ferentz took the leap to get his head coaching experience at Maine and it was a big important step for KF. Huge for his getting hired at Iowa after also getting great experience around some great NFL coaches.

Main point, Iowa is a great place to be a head coach and we might be surprised how many top coaching candidates with prior head coaching experience would want to come to Iowa.

Why not develop Phil Parker into the next head coach? Iowa has been developing him a lot longer than BF.

Seriously, if KF retired today, it's really no contest who is the best internal candidate on the Iowa coaching staff. Its Parker and it's not even close.

This is the only real answer of all of the current coaching staff. Some of you already know I already stated this on another thread. That’s ok because it’s so true.

I do not want the reins/head coaching job 'handed' to Brian F., period unless he has proven himself for about 5 years as a head coach somewhere else in D1 or D1-AA, using the old names of playing level. Heck even Phil Parker would be an experiment jumping to head coaching the hawks so not sure about that being the hire.

Bob Cummings was a high school coach, yes he was a hawk, he coached really big time high school football, yes he had some decent hawk teams and almost had a winning season but he didnt.

Heck, Ray Nagle had been a head coach and won a WAC conference title at Utah and he had success at Iowa with two 5-5 records which was pretty good back then and the black player boycott really doomed one of his better teams.

Hayden Fry had success at both SMU and North Texas before coming to Iowa. He proved his head coaching chops twice before totally TOTALLY turning around Iowa's fortunes on the gridiron.

Kirk Ferentz took the leap to get his head coaching experience at Maine and it was a big important step for KF. Huge for his getting hired at Iowa after also getting great experience around some great NFL coaches.

Main point, Iowa is a great place to be a head coach and we might be surprised how many top coaching candidates with prior head coaching experience would want to come to Iowa.

You lost me at Maine.

Not sure what you mean. Kirk Ferentz was the head coach at Maine from '90-92. Were you unaware of that part of his resume?

Of course I know that. Maine qualifies you to be a coach in the Big Ten Conference? Seriously??? The fact that he served under Hayden Fry has ten times more weight than coaching at Maine does. Also the experience he got in the NFL far exceeds coaching at Maine. :rolleyes:

Brian wasn't ready to be OC, he isn't ready to be HC, now is the time to move him up to HC. No worries, Iowa has strict "fairness" rules when hiring.

Our new coach needs to be a coach who can and does, rather than one who is almost, before puttering it away in the big games.

I want some outside creativity and winning infused into the program.

I would lay money on the fact he does not want it. I think Phil just likes to coach and not the fancy dancing and hand holding that goes with the top job.

I’d take Phil as a head coach with Wallace and Brian as the coordinators. Phil’s not exactly smooth mr political that many coaches are at power programs, but neither is Kirk, or Kirby Smart or saban for what’s it’s worth. I like Phil.

Of course I know that. Maine qualifies you to be a coach in the Big Ten Conference? Seriously??? The fact that he served under Hayden Fry has ten times more weight than coaching at Maine does. Also the experience he got in the NFL far exceeds coaching at Maine. :rolleyes:

Well his experience coaching under Hayden sure helped him get the Maine gig because he knew how a top notch head coach acts, thinks, etc. But it also helps to actually be a head coach and DO those things a head coach does before you become the head coach of a $90 million dollar enterprise which is about what the football program brings in.

Being under the spotlight of being a head coach at any level college program shows future employers how you handle the situation bcuz the buck stops with the head coach.

And yes, being the head coach at Maine may have helped him get his NFL gigs. And coaching under Belichek and others in the NFL may sure helped him get the Iowa job.

Geez, I see a progression here so you sort of proved my point that it is good to go get other jobs, work your way up, get a smaller head coaching job, then go to a big time program like Iowa.

I am going to have to research all the current Big 10 coaches to see which ones are in their very first head coaching job.

I would lay money on the fact he does not want it. I think Phil just likes to coach and not the fancy dancing and hand holding that goes with the top job.

No coaches want the “dancing and hand holding” they like the $5 million paycheck though.

Latest posts