Simone Biles is NOT MEDICATED

Motigerhawk

She was stressed so she quit. Welcome to the generation of excuses. I never thought I should quit in any competitive situation with whatever malady. How many concussions did you play with?

Greatest athlete in her sport ever and she quits. WEAK

I think she's quitting to play for the White Sox minor league team.

To answer your question, I played with 2 diagnosed concussions and others that would be diagnosed today. Of course, it led to seizures as I aged and my neurologist said I will most likely get dementia.

Also, I got rolled up as I was blocking downfield and my leg hurt like hell. I was the center, so I called the huddle closer to the ball so I didn't have to hobble quite as far. Finished that game and played the last 6 games. My leg still hurt after the season so I went to the doctor. It was broken.

I don't know, I'm not inclined to get too upset about it. It's a free country, I'm sure she's got to be set for life with sponsorship money. That's part of the fun of being rich in my book - you can do (or not do) whatever the F you please. If Bezos can play make believe space dork, then I suppose Biles can skip the balance beam or whatever. I doubt she's not going to make rent or not be able to afford McDonald's for her kids or something. Beyond that, she's a grown woman, if she says it's too much (whether mentally or physcially), then I'll take her word for it. We worship athletes in our culture and I think we all come to expect exceptionalism in all things from them, but ultimately they are only human. I'd rather she feel comfortable to show that human side of things rather than her feel compelled to keep up some kind of ubermensch facade at who knows what kind of physical and mental toll.

The Olympics have become a big ass commercial deal anymore - lots of people watching, all kinds of money on the line (for the popular sports, at least), but this isn't the Normandy landings here. It's just for fun/entertainment, I think I'll save my energy for something else.

I don't get all the butthurt over her stepping down. She's accomplished all she can at this high level. Doesn't affect my life one way or the other. If she's in the throes of things similar to Michael Phelps I hope she gets help.

She was stressed so she quit. Welcome to the generation of excuses. I never thought I should quit in any competitive situation with whatever malady. How many concussions did you play with?

Two suicides in my small town in the last three days. One was a HS classmate of mine with a wife and kids who loved him and one was a 16 year old girl. No one knows what’s going through anyone’s head or what state they’re in, and no one on this board has accomplished what Biles has or experienced even a tenth of a percent of the public pressure and scrutiny she has.

OP…I’m sorry but you and I both know you would have folded up like a lawn chair the minute you walked out of their warm up room in Tokyo.

Playing backup slot receiver for your below .500 high school football team in whatever podunk town you’re from ain’t the Olympics, my friend.

Re: concussions, if people still think in 2021 that they’re a badge of honor, well—they're fucking idiots. There’s no way to say it nicely. Ask @99topdawg if he’d give up his playing days to trade back those concussions he got back in the days before people knew how destructive they were.

Seems to me she got the yips more than anything else. It happens. Sucks for her it happened at the Olympics. I'm not sure why it's called mental health and I'm not sure why it's celebrated. But I'm not sure why people would rip on her either. Only she knows how unsure of herself she was and she's gotta be devastated right now.

Wow! Motiger piles on! What an shock!

So those of you raising children or have raised children: where is the line at? Teaching mental toughness and perseverance versus dialing it back. Does it really come down to the makeup of your kid?

So those of you raising children or have raised children: where is the line at? Teaching mental toughness and perseverance versus dialing it back. Does it really come down to the makeup of your kid?
For me, as a parent, there is no "line". I try to model positive behavior for them, but we've always prided ourselves in treating our kids like the little people they are. Make sure they know what opportunities, activities, etc are available to them, but ultimately support them in whatever they do or don't want to do. Just be kind to yourself and others, follow your passions. Happiness, while it isn't guaranteed, is very likely to follow. We've made very clear that traditional measures of "success" mean nothing to us as parents. Money, fancy car, nice house, trophies, degrees, job titles, whatever it might be. Chase that stuff if you want, but it means F all to us (as parents) just so long as you're happy.

You can't guarantee success, but you can guarantee failure. Oh boy, can you ever guarantee failure. Easily. Even by accident in the course of doing things that you think are under the Good Parenting umbrella.

It kills me - absolutely kills me - to think how many human beings, "from 8 to 80" as they say, are walking around with the painful and inescapable awareness that they weren't *quite* what mom and/or dad had in mind in some way or another, big or small.

If you enjoy pushing to the absolute limit in your own life, by all means, go nuts. I'm certainly that way about a lot of things in my life - I enjoy it, its fun for me. My kids give every impression of being a hell of a lot more chilled out than dad. That bothers me not at all. Newsflash: they're not me! They didn't ask to be born, so they sure as shit didn't ask to be put in a position to be some kind of sick life trophy for me. Let your kids be their own people, everyone will be much happier in the long run.

Samone WAS sexually abused by Larry Nasser. Child abuse is a victim killer. The Olympic Committee tried to cover it up. Victims typically stuff it down. Many die young suffering quietly but have a train wreck life. Others functions until they hit a wall.

It can be a raging hurricane in your head. A dog barking can be like having your head in a metal trash can and someone hitting it with a 2 by 4.

Gymnastics is a precision sport with a lot of risk. She can't concentrate.

Mo you are a terrible human.

The only person weak is you. You are a very weak human for getting behind a keyboard and thinking they know how a person is feeling mentally. Simone had more pressure on her then you will ever have combined in your entire life. YOUR WEAK

The only person weak is you. You are a very weak human for getting behind a keyboard and thinking they know how a person is feeling mentally. Simone had more pressure on her then you will ever have combined in your entire life. YOUR WEAK

Read your post and tell me about the irony of it.

Why would you disparage a young woman having been thru trauma? Are u that into the national anthem?

Had she quit before the games started I would have been disappointed and sad but would have understood. And I would have cheered her replacement. But she quit during the competition, in the championship, no less. Do it the right way. You cannot tell me she wasnt feeling not 100% for weeks or longer leading up to this point.

Kevin Love dropped out of the Olympics citing mental health before the games started and was replaced.

Timing. Unless there is an ulterior motive we do not know about yet, I stick by how I feel she did it wrong.

Was my wording not the best, Im sure it was.

Had she quit before the games started I would have been disappointed and sad but would have understood. And I would have cheered her replacement. But she quit during the competition, in the championship, no less. Do it the right way. You cannot tell me she wasnt feeling not 100% for weeks or longer leading up to this point.

Kevin Love dropped out of the Olympics citing mental health before the games started and was replaced.

Timing. Unless there is an ulterior motive we do not know about yet, I stick by how I feel she did it wrong.

Was my wording not the best, Im sure it was.
As mentioned you are terrible. Having been abused most people go until they break. Suicidal tendency is a huge issue. At 20 you stuff things down and are invincible. As you age you have more maturity. Her performances are very high risk even for gymnasts. When abused people take risks to get the adrenalin to hide the intense pain. For some, it's drugs that cover. The real criminals are the abusers and the inablers. The center stage working with the US committee likely overwhelmed.

You cover it until you can't. In addition, the abused person becomes a target. She has likely been abused by others.

You should put your keyboard down for while and learn about abuse. If she quit she had very good reasons to do it. Sorry you didn't get the hear the national anthem.

Kevin Love is 32. We don't know his source of depression and anxiety though it statistically could be the same sort of thing. Playing BB isn't life threatening if you don't concentrate.

Abuse has been largely covered up until recently. Since it is more out in the open there is more help for victims. The average age to have a breakdown from child abuse historically is 52 btw until the body just can't cover it up anymore. I'm guessing she's been working through it.

Severe child abuse kills the soul. Sexual abuse where the perp wasn't stopped creates learned helplessness just like soldiers in pow camps in isolation suffer.

Abuse creates intolerable shame. Normal shame for things we do is good and normal to a degree. Shame brought on by what others due is almost impossible to deal with. I hope what this is that she's dealing with it earlier than later. Brain injury (which is what it is) is difficult to control. You don't set when it overwhelms you.

Who says Love wasnt abused? Boys are way more likely to be abused than girls.

Again, weak was meant that she was able to compete up until she quit, and at the worst possible time. You are telling me that Biles was dealing until the worst possible time and she quit?

What I am saying is that she knew shit wasnt right. She stated she wanted to retire last year. So she was under intense pressure and she should have been more aware. In fact, as a world class athlete I say you know your body better than anyone. If she was this fragile at this point, it just didnt happen. Do not go to the Olympics. It wouldnt hurt her financially or physically.

Latest posts