Should Iowa have a Midnight Madness?

Midnight Madness for Iowa?

• YES

Votes: 36 70.6%
  • NO

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters
I am for anything that will get the fans back behind this program, we have the coach and are starting to bring in the guys he needs to win. So lets do MM and gear it to the students haveing a good time

Well, when your fans run off a coach who was 152-106 and a legend at coaching in March when it really mattered (look at the B10 Tourney record) and replace him with a guy who is 28-35 with some really ugly losses, the fans disappearing is to be expected. If we can bring back Steve, I think we can turn it around, but with Lickliter there, no marketing gimmicks will bring people back. The program is toast.

NO - not until this team is worthy of such adulation........and frankly - IMO, it won't happen with Todd Lickliter as coach.

I voted yes, and Lasbur already stated my reasoning. Anything that gets the fans behind the program is a good thing.

However, I'm a little hesitant because I think the fans need to have something they can believe in, and jmark hit it on the head. If you don't feel Lickliter is the answer, then no number of Midnight Madness shenanigans is going to convince you to get behind something you don't believe in.

Voted No. This is just not necessary and would most likely be more bad publicity than good publicity (due to low attendace). The program has a hard enough time getting people to come to weekend big-ten conference games, much less a basketball inter-squad scrimmage during an undefeated football season. They tried this once or twice during the SA era and it was marginally successful imo. So...let's just let the team have a meaningful practice instead of some lame 3-point and slam-dunk contest for fans that are currently not interested. Fans will get more interested after they have a winning season, so lets let the team concentrate all their energy on that for the time being.

Go Hawks!

I am for anything that will get the fans back behind this program, we have the coach and are starting to bring in the guys he needs to win. So lets do MM and gear it to the students haveing a good time

Completely agree, need to raise the excitment level.

I think they should try it again next year. With the frosh class next year, and returning vets, there could be some buzz. Market it right, have giveaways, put naked cheerleaders out there(kidding) and glean the funnest stuff from other midnite madness events from around the country and make it an event....what ya got to lose?

It all starts with facilities. You can bring any coach to Iowa (and we have a great one in Lick), but until we can compete with other schools in facilities, we will not improve and bring in above average recruits. There is renovation going on to Carver that will add a practice facility and offices, but will this be enough? I don't think it is and only time will tell.

Do we not also have in the plans to update Carver and hang some lux boxes ? As far as support, I think it will come back. We do need some wins. We also need to get the students involved, Granted they are not big contributers, but they can change the atmosphere, Carver. Last year the ISU game had a great atmosphere. Of course Demi was there

Yes, the facilities are key. The football program is known for having one of the best in the conference and we have gained recruits based off them. If we want our Basketball Team to compete for Big 10 Titles, we need to invest in them like we did for Football. Spend the money and upgrade facilities so they don't have to share gym time with other University Teams. Having a seperate practice gym, strength room, offices, etc to stand out as a priority will help greatly. Granted, we still need to win to increase recruiting efforts, but having the facilities and other items to show recruits that we are serious about Basketball and that this isn't just a Football school.

Well, when your fans run off a coach who was 152-106 and a legend at coaching in March when it really mattered (look at the B10 Tourney record) and replace him with a guy who is 28-35 with some really ugly losses, the fans disappearing is to be expected. If we can bring back Steve, I think we can turn it around, but with Lickliter there, no marketing gimmicks will bring people back. The program is toast.

My sarcasm detector is turned off right now, so I hope your post was tongue-in-cheek. If not...go away Steve. Don't you have a job to do somewhere in the desert?

Latest posts