Shockers Drop Hawks, Expose Flaws

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Wichita State beat Iowa 75-63 on Wednesday night in Cancun and the Shockers also exposed some weaknesses in Iowa's game at this early juncture of the season

More...

Jon you act like Gessel and Iowa won't learn from this experience and get better. I wouldn't get so down over one loss where officiating took away Gessel and Woodbury more than anything. It was a rough game, but I'm certain we'll have better days.

Some games just don't flow.. this was one of those games. We didn't have a floor leader most of the game and while we have decent depth we don't have anyone other than MG that can carry the team. We will be as good as MG can be this year UNLESS.. someone else stands up to be the guy.

Some games just don't flow.. this was one of those games. We didn't have a floor leader most of the game and while we have decent depth we don't have anyone other than MG that can carry the team. We will be as good as MG can be this year UNLESS.. someone else stands up to be the guy.

Aaron White when he plays the four and is healthy. Or Marble who looks to attack the paint and penetrate the defense. Hell I've even seen enough of Pat Ingram in high school and AAU to know that he can attack the defense and heal some of our woes in the half court. Look for Fran to start playing Pat more. You saw him tonight when we were playing the most athletic team we've played this year. No coincidence. Quickest guy on the team. And I stand by that.

Watch these highlights and see. Keep in mind I've seen him play a multitude of times against all kinds of competition and he is consistently the quickest guy on the floor. Notice how in most of the "half court situations" he beats his man before taking a second dribble. That's what we didn't have tonight. A guard with the quicks to beat his man after the first step. That's what Cartwright had.

Iowa Commit Patrick Ingram Highlight Mixtape - YouTube

Even tonight I remember two plays where he showed his quicks on offense. The one time he was in transition and got the pass cutting to the rim. He mad a VERY quick and decisive move right to the rim. Unfortunately he didn't finish but he usually finishes that play as his forte is attacking the rim. The second play he beat his man off the bounce in the half court and actually got in the lane and created a good look for the jump shooter. I can't remember if we scored but I hardly remember any other instances where the other guards beat their man with the first step.

Keep in mind Pat was offered the day after Anthony Hubbard transfered from Iowa as a guy who could fill Hubbard's role of an attacking off guard with quicks.

Fran has called Ingram a "power pack" with "phenomenal quickness" and has complimented his ability to finish in transition.

I may have missed it but I don't think Jon talked about Gessel having two quick fouls that left him on the bench for most of the first half, hampering him from getting in the flow of the game. Too many folks ready to throw him out and on to the next guy but why should I be surprised given the tone on this broad the last 90 days. IMO the team looked a step slow on O-fence and D-fence down low and I think you can contribute that to three days in Cancun if you know what I mean. This game was called very tightly by the refs in which case the team looked hesitant at times but Iowa did take advantage by picking up a good majority of their points from dribble drive foul free throws. This team will continue to mature throughout the year under Fran's tutoring but this team is who we thought it was going to be, lower-middle of the pack in the B1G, which may be good enough playing our card right we may just back into the Tourney or make a long run in the NIT. Far cry from the Lick years.

Last edited:
Jon you act like Gessel and Iowa won't learn from this experience and get better. I wouldn't get so down over one loss where officiating took away Gessel and Woodbury more than anything. It was a rough game, but I'm certain we'll have better days.

The problem is you can't teach quickness and being athletic.

You can't shoot that poorly from the field and expect to win even against the worst of teams. So far Iowa is not a good shooting team and .500 will be lucky this year.

I wish Woodbury wouldn't have been tagged with two ridiculous fouls. He needed to be on the floor for many reasons. I really hate it when refs get that ticky tacky on calls. The fans want to see 7 footer on 7 footer. Woodbury would have learned a lot last night.

WSU had a clear plan which was no easy baskets. They fouled hard and blocked many shots. They got into the kitchens of the Iowa players. The hawks need to be stronger with the ball. This can be fixed. They aren't dead yet. Give Wichita credit as they played very well.

To throw Gesell under the bus would be flat stupid.

He was overmatched last night. Doesn't mean he won't win some of those battles but he'll probly go to schoo a few more times this year. Freshman point guards typically do.

You can't shoot that poorly from the field and expect to win even against the worst of teams. So far Iowa is not a good shooting team and .500 will be lucky this year.

Lucky to reach .500? Seriously? Some of these claims after one loss are a bit far fetched. We lost one game. Our shooting will improve. We have a young team this year, it's going to take more than 6 games to find that rhythm and establish roles. Gessel will be fine.

People forget Iowa was ahead at the half. It got away the first five minutes of the second half. Iowa had a chance to get it to 4 points around the three minute mark. Oglesby got stripped and then fouled the guy making the lay up, instead of being down four Iowa ends up down nine. There were times Iowa was playing three freshman, one sophomore, and one junior against a much older WSU team.

The outside shooting was terrible in the second half, but free throws kept the game winnable. There were a number of good shots that just didn't fall. Iowa was showing signs of fatigue, too many games in a short time span. I feel that is why they were not as quick to the ball.

McCabe and Ogleby present some outside offensive threat, but defensively they gave up too many points at the free throw line.

For schools like WSU they must get big wins against power conference teams now. Motivation was a factor that can't totally be ignored.

Wichita State beat Iowa 75-63 on Wednesday night in Cancun and the Shockers also exposed some weaknesses in Iowa's game at this early juncture of the season

More...

"That’s Iowa’s ceiling this year and while I pegged Iowa to lose to Wichita State in this game before the season and felt they’d be 5-1 leaving Cancun, which they are, the way in which Wichita State beat Iowa is a little disheartening."

Didn't Iowa have the ball with a couple minutes left and down just 2 possessions? The final score is misleading.

Gesell and Woodbury need to use their quickness to move around the bigger guys. They'll learn and this game against the Shockers was a good test. Wichita State would be in the top 5 teams in the Big Ten. I still think Iowa will go 10-8 in the conference this year.

"That’s Iowa’s ceiling this year and while I pegged Iowa to lose to Wichita State in this game before the season and felt they’d be 5-1 leaving Cancun, which they are, the way in which Wichita State beat Iowa is a little disheartening."

Didn't Iowa have the ball with a couple minutes left and down just 2 possessions? The final score is misleading.

Gesell and Woodbury need to use their quickness to move around the bigger guys. They'll learn and this game against the Shockers was a good test. Wichita State would be in the top 5 teams in the Big Ten. I still think Iowa will go 10-8 in the conference this year.

Woodbury is not quick. Gesell is not quicker than most upper half D1 point guards. Hawks were only up at the half because they only missed something like 1 of 10 three balls. The score was misleading, but not the direction you think.

Lucky to reach .500? Seriously? Some of these claims after one loss are a bit far fetched. We lost one game. Our shooting will improve. We have a young team this year, it's going to take more than 6 games to find that rhythm and establish roles. Gessel will be fine.

Agree. Good grief...Iowa loses a game and there are people ready to give up on the season already.

Agree. Good grief...Iowa loses a game and there are people ready to give up on the season already.

Kind of like the football team. Some of us predicted the fiasco. The team weaknesses will not improve that much without better players.

Adam is slow. No one can play the post. Marble can't go both directions. Mikey has a lot to learn and will. Clemmons is also young and I doubt over 6 foot.

Other than that we have a bunch of 6th man forwards.

It will be a miracle if they reach 500 in the B1G. That doesn't mean they really aren't improving.

The football team is going backwards. Basketball isn't.

Latest posts