Sean Foster to the Gophers

ihawkeye

4* OL didn't even get an offer from the Hawks and his Dad was a Hawk. I wonder what the deal is?

Last edited:
Foster quote from Monday's Chicago Tribune...............

"(Minnesota) Coach Jerry Kill will be around forever and hopefully is not going anywhere. That was a huge selling point for me and my family. It's a good staff, a great school and great area."

Doesn't explain why Iowa did or did not offer but certainly hits on an issue that many prospects will be hearing even more about from our competition on the recruiting trails this season.

Yep. We are in a really bad spot.

If we limp to another 7-5 finish there year, Barta really has to let Kirk go, buyout or not. The contract ends in 2020, are kids for the 2016-2017 class really going to sign up for the Hawks knowing that Kirk won't be around?

Does Barta give Kirk another extension, which would be nothing more than lip service to the recruiting issue.

I think KF is gone no matter what happens this year. If we surprise and get to 9-10 wins, he'll walk away. If we go 5-7 wins, he should be fired.

It comes down to scholarships available for position, and where said player ranks in the recruiting board at said position. Has nothing to do with whether message board hoks think Ferentz is an imbecile for not offering a legacy player, no matter if they think the kid is their best option, or not.

I see on another board posters are losing their ever loving minds over this. The staff has more offers out this year than ever before, and they obviously prefer other OT. If they whiff on them, they have more than enough time to set their sights on Foster and flip him.

I'd be willing to take away the 2nd scholarship punters that we always seem to have in order to offer Foster. I don't want to pull an offer after we've given it but I'd prefer we only use scholly's for two or three kickers/punters each year.

I'd be willing to take away the 2nd scholarship punters that we always seem to have in order to offer Foster. I don't want to pull an offer after we've given it but I'd prefer we only use scholly's for two or three kickers/punters each year.

I have no idea why we didn't offer this kid. I don't really second guess them on this type of stuff, we just don't know what's going on, and what our top targets are. What we do know is that we're extremely thin at OL, and this is due to our focus on WR.....which we've also whiffed on too.

But you bring up a great point with our special teams recruiting. Over the past five years we have absolutely struck out with our kickers and punters. We had a former 4* QB regulated to punting, as he was better than our scholarship punter at downing punts deep in opposing team territory.

We seem to hold either multiple place kickers, or punters on scholarship for no reason.

And from reports out of camp so far, our placekicker may end up being our starting punter.

Since I don't follow other teams that closely, do other schools have this many kickers/punters on scholarship?

So yes, I do think it'd be nice to get another high star recruit over holding 3 scholarships for kickers who never play.

Remember a certain guy by the name of Brian Bobek? His dad played at Iowa he was a 4 star OL (3rd rated center in the country) that didn't get an Iowa offer and the board was flipping out over?

Yeah he went to Ohio State transferred after his freshmen year to Minnesota and in two years at Minnesota has played in a grand total of 3 games.

Look I am not one to defend KF but lets relax, there are only so many scholarships and if there was one position that I would give KF and his staff a free pass on when it comes to recruiting it sure as hell would be OL. Any other position but OL and you might have a point.

KF has a TON of issues and there are a million legitimate things to ***** about on this message board with the way he handles or does things but the very last on the list should be recruiting offensive lineman.

Why would Ferentz go after highly ranked legacy recruits when he can use all his schollys on punters and 8 to 10 possession WRs and let walkons play the tackle positions at OL U?

Foster quote from Monday's Chicago Tribune...............

"(Minnesota) Coach Jerry Kill will be around forever and hopefully is not going anywhere. That was a huge selling point for me and my family. It's a good staff, a great school and great area."

Doesn't explain why Iowa did or did not offer but certainly hits on an issue that many prospects will be hearing even more about from our competition on the recruiting trails this season.

Interesting that a college coach who is one seizure/blackout away from having to hang up the coaching whistle permanently or having it put alongside him in a six-foot pine box is seen by at least one recruit as having longer longevity than Kirk Ferentz.

Interesting that a college coach who is one seizure/blackout away from having to hang up the coaching whistle permanently or having it put alongside him in a six-foot pine box is seen by at least one recruit as having longer longevity than Kirk Ferentz.

He wasn't comparing Kill to KF, as he didn't have an offer from Iowa.

Offer coming? This is puzzling for a legacy recruit who can play to not have an offer... Hope I'm wrong on this one.

Offer coming? This is puzzling for a legacy recruit who can play to not have an offer... Hope I'm wrong on this one.

Not really that puzzling. Kirk Ferentz obviously doesn't think the kid is the right fit to play at the University of Iowa. Best of luck to him in his endeavors.

Latest posts