SCOTUS and the NCAA

spliff45

The NCAA is arguing for it's "amateurism" model this morning and it does not seem to be going well. The tweets from people that follow SCOTUS seem to think it is not going well at all for the NCAA. The more conservative justinces, Thomas and Alito seem pretty hostile to the NCAA position so far.

Chantel Jennings

@ChantelJennings

Justice Samuel Alito:

9:22 AM · Mar 31, 2021·Twitter Web App

THis is gonna be absolutely hilarious listening to them try to defend their position.

And they made their own bed...kids weren't asking for millions. They were asking to be able to make a few bucks signing autographs and selling jerseys, or doing some advertisement stuff. But the NCAA was zero tolerance whatsoever and now they're gonna fuckin pay, BIG TIME.

And I love it. Watching Emmert squirm is one of my guilty pleasures.

I was wondering if this was going to be an OT thread, or show up in one of the more visited-forums.

I think this discussion is fascinating. I think the amateur-sports model is immoral and hypocritical. I also think NIL legislation might move us closer to the end of college sports as we know it, which would kind of suck.

I am sympathetic to the argument that NIL will give the "brand name" programs a huge advantage based upon their visibility. I also think those programs already have a huge advantage, and NIL won't change anything. A student-athlete will have more marketability as a top-banana in Iowa City than as just another guy at Alabama, that might matter to some people.

I think Drew Tate's argument against NIL on the recent WUW podcast, based upon what it would do to team-dynamics and the college experience, was an interesting one.

Very curious to see where this goes, but I am pretty sure NCAA is going to end up looking stupid in the end. Hopefully at the end of it all, we still have Hawkeye sports to cheer for.

After a lot of years on the planet, I sure have witnessed a large number of unintended consequences.

I get the argument that college athletes want to be able to benefit from their own name & likeness. If selling t-shirts, or signing autographs, or even appearing in commercials for local businesses puts some money in their pocket, then that is great.

The part that worries me, selfishly as an Iowa fan, is how does this hurt Iowa recruiting if other programs with bigger boosters can just pay for the best players. For example, Nebraska is so desperate for a return to past football glory that they would pay whatever amount needed to get the best recruits.

Kids already transfer now if they feel they don't get enough playing time, but now you could have a kid upset that he can only generate $10K in name & likeness deals in Iowa City, but another school promises $20K if he transfers.

Maybe I'm naive and this goes on now behind closed doors, but I don't want college sports to become full fledge signing of free agents by paying the highest price each year.

The best players are already bought and paid for, fellas. To think they aren’t is completely naive.

If you don’t understand that boosters are already packing the pockets of players at every P5 school (yes, including Iowa) then I have some farm ground in Antarctica to sell you.

The best players are already bought and paid for, fellas. To think they aren’t is completely naive.

If you don’t understand that boosters are already packing the pockets of players at every P5 school (yes, including Iowa) then I have some farm ground in Antarctica to sell you.

The NCAA promoted amateurism while turning a blind eye and looking the other way and allowing all the blue bloods to skate by without doing anything about it. Now everyone's going to get to do it and the NCAA won't be able to do anything about it. My guess would be that college sports will find a way to prevail, but the NCAA's control and clock may be ticking.

Latest posts