Remember when Fran "owned" Bo?

Linesetter

What happened? It seemed like FM had Bo's number and had Wisconsin figured out and that was with worse talent than we have now. Lost 5 in a row. What changed?

Bo's talent got a lot better especially with Kaminsky and Decker developing the way they have. They both look like first round picks at this point. Bo lost Brust as a shooter but has been able to replace his shooting and some.

No one saw Kaminsky turning into the college player of the year. Add in Dekker and a bunch of great shooters.... that team is going to go far in the NCAA

Comes & goes. "Ownership" between Iowa & Wisconsin will move back & forth....

It feels like it's been 15 years. I thought FM had changed that at first but it's obvious he hasn't. Hopefully it's that he hasn't changed it "yet".

What happened? It seemed like FM had Bo's number and had Wisconsin figured out and that was with worse talent than we have now. Lost 5 in a row. What changed?

If you consider 3 in a row "owning" knock yourself out.

I don't even wannna look up what our record is in the last 15 years vs. them. That's owning.

As others have said, Wisconsin has had a better team the last 2 years compared to Frans first few years. And Cartwright, Marble and Gatens all had big games in Iowa wins over the previous couple of years. Gatens was in the midst of one of the greatest shooting streaks ever (something like 13 straight over a few games), and Cartwright and Marble gave Wisky fits with their ability to get in the lane and create offense. We don't have a similar player to Cartwright/Marble, and certainly not a shooter the caliber of Gatens.

Some of it is Iowa also actually got Wisconsin's attention by sweeping the season series in 2012-13 and winning 3 straight over 2 years. Prior to that, Iowa was just another automatic W for Wisconsin (excluding the win where David Palmer had a big game in Lickliter's 2nd year). Wisconsin was very ready to play against Iowa in both games this year. No silly mistakes, no overlooking Iowa.

And in the losing streak, it includes:

Double OT loss in 2013, when Jackson tied the game at the end of regulation with the guarded 3 that bounced straight up in the air and went it. Wisky wins game in double OT.
5-point loss last year. Iowa led by 1 with under a minute. Kaminsky scores to put Badgers ahead, then strips Marble with under 30 seconds left. Probably the best half of basketball Iowa played all year, coming from 9 down at halftime to twice take 4-point leads. Iowa still leads by 3 with a bit over 3 minutes left. Hayes drives, McCabe looks to take the charge. Call goes Wisky's way, Hayes converts the 3-point play. It was literally a call that could have gone either way. Charge gets called, Iowa is up 3 with the ball and running the clock under 3 minutes to go.

My point is that this has been a combination of Wisconsin being very good and some bad luck. This is certainly that Wisconsin is just plain better.

I recall a nice stretch by Fran over Wisconsin of 3-0 over about 13 months span. However In looking at the overall picture I wouldn't call Fran's 3-7 record against Bo as owning..

Last edited:
As long as Bo keeps spreading the cash around to the BIG officials, so that his team can get away with the most egregious mugging style of basketball, it's unlikely that anyone will "own" Bo. Bo "owns" the zebras.

As long as Bo keeps spreading the cash around to the BIG officials, so that his team can get away with the most egregious mugging style of basketball, it's unlikely that anyone will "own" Bo. Bo "owns" the zebras.

Congrats. It's early in 2015 but this is already a front runner for most ridiculous post of the year awards. Do you have any idea or just not care how small you make yourself look spreading this idiocy?

Wisconsin has added pieces over the last few years and Iowa hasn't. Kaminsky is better than Bo thought he would be, guaranteed, but they've also added Nigel Hayes to the mix and Bronson Koenig. Iowa has done nothing to improve themselves by adding talent. They've been marching the same cast, now minus Marble, out there for the past 3 years. Iowa has added nothing personnel wise to make themselves better and Wisconsin has.

This is a losers lament.

Officials had nothing to do with it, Wisconsin is just better. Take ownership or Iowa will never rise as a program

Wisconsin has added pieces over the last few years and Iowa hasn't. Kaminsky is better than Bo thought he would be, guaranteed, but they've also added Nigel Hayes to the mix and Bronson Koenig. Iowa has done nothing to improve themselves by adding talent. They've been marching the same cast, now minus Marble, out there for the past 3 years. Iowa has added nothing personnel wise to make themselves better and Wisconsin has.

Uhl - 2.4 PPG & 2.2 RPG & 37.3 FG% & 46.2 FT% & 20.0 3P%

Kaminsky - 1.8 PPG & 1.4 RPG & 41.1 FG% & 50.0 FT% & 28.6 3P%

I'm not saying Uhl will be Kaminsky. I'm saying we have no idea.

Also, you're saying Bo has improved his team and Fran hasn't done the same. Bo is in his 14th season at Wisconsin and Fran is in his 5th. That's a lot of years and a lot of recruiting classes. Let's not compare apples to oranges here. And Bo took the Wisconsin job 2 years after Wisconsin appeared in the Final Four. That's not where Iowa's program was 2 years before Fran arrived. Again...Let's not compare apples to oranges here.

Congrats. It's early in 2015 but this is already a front runner for most ridiculous post of the year awards. Do you have any idea or just not care how small you make yourself look spreading this idiocy?
I get that and it wasnt a serious post. I just wanted ActiveBadger/Linesetter to reveal himself as the Badger Troll that he is. He didnt disappoint. It was a public service announcement to Iowa posters that might think Linesetter was a real Hawkeye fan. He's NOT.

I get that and it wasnt a serious post. I just wanted ActiveBadger/Linesetter to reveal himself as the Badger Troll that he is. He didnt disappoint. It was a public service announcement to Iowa posters that might think Linesetter was a real Hawkeye fan. He's NOT.

I think the reason is that Iowa isn't playing Wisconsin at the start of the conference slate. Iowa really has great coaches if they have time to prepare. Look what happened to Ohio State this year. Ohio State was the start of the conference rotation for Iowa. Last year Iowa really started out strong, but then they bombed out at the end. I doubt to many people would think Iowa has the best talent in the conference, but they do have talent. Hopefully, with a weaker second half on the conference slate, Iowa will finish strong this year. They have a lot of experience to do so. As the conference goes along, the preparation time is potentially a lot less. Look what UNI did to Iowa this year. UNI had a lot more time to prepare for Iowa. Iowa was their first big game in the preconference.

Latest posts