Rebraca vs Nunge

HawkeyeFever

I started comparing stats on Filip and Jack a month or so ago and thought it was interesting how closely their stat lines for this season mirror one another. As of today, here are their numbers:

Filip Rebraca 6' 9", 222 lb

G PTS TRB AST FG% FG3% FT% eFG%
30 14.0 7.6 2.1 58.2 33.3 66.7 58.5

Jack Nunge 6' 11", 245 lb

G PTS TRB AST FG% FG3% FT% eFG%
30 14.2 7.9 1.4 52.3 41.0 69.0 57.8

The biggest difference that stood out to me was their FG3%, but I discovered that Filip has only taken (6) 3 pointers this year (2-6). One more made three and his FG3% goes from 33.3% to 50%. Jack has taken 83 three pointers (34-83). That sure seems like a lot for a 6' 11" guy, and probably explains the edge that Filip has in overall FG%.

I am not suggesting trading one for the other or anything like that, just comparing stat lines. Filip is one of my favorite Hawks this year and I certainly wish Jack nothing but the best.

I haven't paid enough attention to Xavier to know how Nunge is doing in terms of defending ball screens. I do know what Rebraca is doing...he gets caught on an island quite a bit and everytime he gets beat, he starts looking at the guy who hedged and starts barking at them.

I get what the OP is getting at. However, I just shrug my shoulders, we can do the same exercise with Fredricks and Toussaint as well.

Last edited:
This is not an "either / or" ... I wish Nunge would've stayed and we had BOTH.

I think with how consistent Nunge has been, he would've covered some of the shooting slumps and Iowa would have 5 or 6 more wins. He would also absorb more minutes away from P-Mac, which just helps the team even more as far as positive productivity on both ends.

Nunge plays so much bigger and more versatile than Flip, though I really like Flip.

With Iowa getting more movement consistently out of the guards and a big man lack of depth, if Nunge were here this team would have been quite capable of making a deep run.

PM could make up some of the difference, but he doesn't go left away from the basket at all. If he did.....

Maybe, what if, who knows............just happy we have one of the two because without Rebraca, we probably have 4-5 more losses. I think had we both of them, neither would have been happy even if they were scoring about 10 each a game. I am also happy Nunge landed where he did and has made such a positive impact, I always hoped the best for him. If I had to wish for impossible things, it would have been to see Keegan stay one more year, and that Kris stays next year..................

I haven't paid enough attention to Xavier to know how Nunge is doing in terms of defending ball screens. I do know what Rebraca is doing...he gets caught on a island quite bit and everytime he gets beat, he starts looking at the guy who hedged and starts barking at them.

I get what the OP is getting at. However, I just shrug my shoulders, we can do the same exercise with Fredricks and Toussaint as well.
I've watched a couple Xavier games and Nunge is just as porous on D as he would've been at Iowa but compensates by playing more confidently and actively rebounding. For what it's worth, he does have 36 block while FR is tied with Murray for team lead, at 31.
I didnt' really watch how much Xavier hedged. However, I know Iowa does it alot and gets beat A LOT. I've said for years, Iowa should knock it** off because they simply don't have the defense IQ / anticipation nor athleticism to execute it. I would expect Nunge would struggle with this, too.
** Positive side note ... Iowa HAS reduced their excesssive hedging during much of the conference season and it has improved their overall defense.

Latest posts