Random bench question

hawkeye12345

Watching the Minny @ Michigan game and was wondering why Michigan is sitting to the right of the scorers table? Shouldn’t the home team sit to the left?

I think it's home team choice. Kinda like dugouts in baseball.
In high school our home dugout was (and still is) the only one in any of the 3 conferences in our region on the first base line. In junior high and 4 years of high school I never once sat in a 3rd base dugout. You have no clue how bad that fucked with me when I got to college.

Then you have that goofy arena at Vanderbilt, where the team benches are on the end lines.

Just a hideous looking arena. Makes Indiana's Assembly Hall look like the Taj Mahal. We played an NCAA opening weekend there in the Davis era. It literally looked like a portable arena that could be folded up and stored after use.

In high school our home dugout was (and still is) the only one in any of the 3 conferences in our region on the first base line. In junior high and 4 years of high school I never once sat in a 3rd base dugout. You have no clue how bad that fucked with me when I got to college.

Weird. we used the 1st base dugout for home games as well in high school. There were other CIML schools that flipped it around as well...just seemed sorta random.

Then you have that goofy arena at Vanderbilt, where the team benches are on the end lines.

Just a hideous looking arena. Makes Indiana's Assembly Hall look like the Taj Mahal. We played an NCAA opening weekend there in the Davis era. It literally looked like a portable arena that could be folded up and stored after use.
The story behind Vanderbilt's arena is pretty interesting if you read about it. The admin back in the day purposely made an effort to de-emphasize sports and wanted an arena that didn't hold very many people and could be used for other things (uncommon then).

I think it's a really cool venue, each of the decks has a low ceiling above it with no lighting so it looks like you're watching a basketball game played in a movie theater. The baseline benches and super wide sidelines are pretty interesting visually. Something unique. Also, if I'm a ref, I LOVE that arena. No fans or coaches breathing down your neck at all. You're 30 feet from the nearest fans on the baseline and even farther than that on the sideline. Your biggest risk is tripping over a cheerleader during a fast break.

I think it would be fun to go to Vanderbilt for a game. Unique. Benches on the baseline ... coaches have to adjust. :)

635952293411633588-vandyhoops.jpg

I think it would be fun to go to Vanderbilt for a game. Unique. Benches on the baseline ... coaches have to adjust. :)

I still think it looks like a case that would store matchbox cars and fold up to be stored away. Like the one all people my age had as kids. It is definitely unique, though. And Fryowa brought up an excellent point about how it would be much harder for the Izzo's of the world to influence the officiating when it is harder to get near them.

First few rows on the sideline are sunken so you are looking from court-level. Very cool. Kinda like that Little Caesar's commercial where they slam their heads on the table looking for the crust.

Mind blown. Twice. Didn't know that either of these were home team's choice.

Actually in MLB more home teams use the 1st base dugout than the 3rd base dugout. Usually it has to do with field orientation. The home team usually chooses the dugout where the sun won't be blaring at them in the afternoon/evening. My high school did the same thing for the same reason....avoid the sun.

Actually in MLB more home teams use the 1st base dugout than the 3rd base dugout. Usually it has to do with field orientation. The home team usually chooses the dugout where the sun won't be blaring at them in the afternoon/evening. My high school did the same thing for the same reason....avoid the sun.
The sun would be the only reason one would want to give up the 3rd base dugout. One team in our conference did so for that reason. Used to coach high school softball and while in the coach's box at 3B you are right next to your team which is an obvious advantage.