Rain Washes Out Game at Western Illinois

Probably a good thing RPI wise. Western Illinois is in the 200s. Winning a game like that wouldn't help much while a loss would have probably knocked them out of any chance for an at large bid. It's looking like they will need at least 2 of 3 at Maryland for a chance.

Probably a good thing RPI wise. Western Illinois is in the 200s. Winning a game like that wouldn't help much while a loss would have probably knocked them out of any chance for an at large bid. It's looking like they will need at least 2 of 3 at Maryland for a chance.

Road wins count as 1.3 wins and they would have picked up 17 RPI points. A loss would have really sucked.

Road wins count as 1.3 wins and they would have picked up 17 RPI points. A loss would have really sucked.

How does the baseball RPI work? Is it like the old basketball one where opponent winning % and opponent's opponent winning % are included in the formula? If so, not all road wins technically count as the same because their net effect are weighted differently with the winning percentage components.

That was my reasoning behind my original statement. If my assumption is correct, the 1.3 wins gained in the first part of the formula (Iowa's RPI adjusted winning percentage) is negated by the lowering of the opponent winning percentage and opponent's opponent winning percentage components.

How does the baseball RPI work? Is it like the old basketball one where opponent winning % and opponent's opponent winning % are included in the formula? If so, not all road wins technically count as the same because their net effect are weighted differently with the winning percentage components.

That was my reasoning behind my original statement. If my assumption is correct, the 1.3 wins gained in the first part of the formula (Iowa's RPI adjusted winning percentage) is negated by the lowering of the opponent winning percentage and opponent's opponent winning percentage components.

It works exactly like basketball except wins count as .7 for home and 1.3 for away. The win would have still helped the RPI but a loss would have been horrible. So it probably wasn't worth the chance.

It works exactly like basketball except wins count as .7 for home and 1.3 for away. The win would have still helped the RPI but a loss would have been horrible. So it probably wasn't worth the chance.

Gotcha and agreed. Let's hope they can at least win the series against Maryland and maybe win a couple in the Big Ten tournament.

Nope. Not worth it. This team has played to the level of their competition all year so this may have been another ugly.

It’s win the Big10 tournament now.

That MSU debacle cost them 22 spots in the RPI.

Would 2 of 3 or even 3 of 3 on the road against the Turtles help enough? What if we happen to make it to the final game in the Big Ten tourney? That would likely include some wins against higher RPI teams would it not?

Latest posts