Quarters vs Halves

Seth53

So when will the NCAA men (BB) finally adopt quarters vs halves? If ever....

Never understood why this still exists.

Somewhat similar to Div-1 FB being the only sport, for decades, not to decide a champion via a playoff system.

I don't hate the use of halves in basketball, but it seems like NCAA men's basketball is the last holdout still using them.

If your goal is for everybody to be the same, the easiest thing is for NCAA men to switch to quarters.

Lol, just what we need are more stoppages in play.
Say what? They take a TV timeout every FOUR minutes as it is.

I'm neither pro nor con regarding this.

Simply wondering what motivation there is to use halves these days.

Say what? They take a TV timeout every FOUR minutes as it is.
That’s exactly right. We don’t need two more stoppages of 5 plus minutes (and accompanying commercials) to a game that’s already deluged with stoppages all the time.

Whats the motivation for changing it if the actual game time doesn’t change? What exactly doesn’t work about halves? I don’t see the reason for changing it just to be like NCAAW. What would it change other than adding more opportunities for commercials.

That’s exactly right. We don’t need two more stoppages of 5 plus minutes (and accompanying commercials) to a game that’s already deluged with stoppages all the time.

Whats the motivation for changing it if the actual game time doesn’t change? What exactly doesn’t work about halves? I don’t see the reason for changing it just to be like NCAAW. What would it change other than adding more opportunities for commercials.
So you take a mandatory TO @ 5 minutes, then another one obviously at the break. (10 minute quarters)
That's three TO stoppages per half, one LESS than it is now with TOs Q 4 mins in a 20 minute half.

Anyway, again, I'm just raising a conversational question as to why NCAA Mens BB still uses halves and not quarters.

Some talking points:

And to end, if halves were the way to go to get more TV revenue, speed up the game, etc., why hasn't any other BB entity embraced it?...including the NBA.

Just say'n.

So you take a mandatory TO @ 5 minutes, then another one obviously at the break. (10 minute quarters)
That's three TO stoppages per half, one LESS than it is now with TOs Q 4 mins in a 20 minute half.

Anyway, again, I'm just raising a conversational question as to why NCAA Mens BB still uses halves and not quarters.

Some talking points:

And to end, if halves were the way to go to get more TV revenue, speed up the game, etc., why hasn't any other BB entity embraced it?...including the NBA.

Just say'n.
Correct. There would be less TV timeouts.

Some talking points:

Just say'n.
Correct. There would be less TV timeouts.
Do you guys really believe there would be less TV timeouts? Come on…lol

You both know the networks would use quarter changes as extra media opportunities in addition to the ones they already have.

Do you guys really believe there would be less TV timeouts? Come on…lol

You both know the networks would use quarter changes as extra media opportunities in addition to the ones they already have.
No I don't think they would have less media timeouts. I think they will never go to quarters because they know they would have to have less timeouts if they did. There just isn't a good way to 3 way split a 10 minute quarter.

This is not hard. Tv timeout at 5:00 in the 3Q. Tv timeout at end of 3Q. Then TV timeouts at 6:00 and 3:00 in 4Q.

I know it is hard when you have already staked out a position, but there are less timeouts in the quarters women's game because of only one TV timeout per quarter, plus the two quarter breaks, as opposed to the four media time outs per half in the current men's half system. Its less. It is.

Now, if the men switched to a quarter system, could there be more TV timeouts? Sure. But, how would you do it? And, more to the point, the OP was suggesting that MBB should consider moving to the women's quarter models with no discussion of whether more TOs should or would be added.

To my understanding, every other aspect of BB goes on quarters. High school, women's college, NBA, WNBA, International. So, joining the crowd is a reason, I suppose. Not all that compelling. If it isn't broken, why fix it? If anything, how about moving to just thee media TOs per half. Please.

This is not hard. Tv timeout at 5:00 in the 3Q. Tv timeout at end of 3Q. Then TV timeouts at 6:00 and 3:00 in 4Q.
You're still adding two more stoppages at the end of Q1 and Q3 that weren't there before.

Still no one has given any reasons whatsoever to show why it would improve gameplay.

I know it is hard when you have already staked out a position, but there are less timeouts in the quarters women's game because of only one TV timeout per quarter, plus the two quarter breaks, as opposed to the four media time outs per half in the current men's half system. Its less. It is.

Now, if the men switched to a quarter system, could there be more TV timeouts? Sure. But, how would you do it? And, more to the point, the OP was suggesting that MBB should consider moving to the women's quarter models with no discussion of whether more TOs should or would be added.

To my understanding, every other aspect of BB goes on quarters. High school, women's college, NBA, WNBA, International. So, joining the crowd is a reason, I suppose. Not all that compelling. If it isn't broken, why fix it? If anything, how about moving to just thee media TOs per half. Please.
The reason there are less stoppages in women's sports is because there's way less media demand. No way they'd decrease the number of stoppages in the men's, they'd increase because you have a (longer than normal) stoppage at the end of Q1 and Q3---more TV commercial opportunities. They wouldn't just make fewer in-game media timeouts to compensate, they'd just sell more advertising. It's about money.

The reason there are less stoppages in women's sports is because there's way less media demand. No way they'd decrease the number of stoppages in the men's, they'd increase because you have a (longer than normal) stoppage at the end of Q1 and Q3---more TV commercial opportunities. They wouldn't just make fewer in-game media timeouts to compensate, they'd just sell more advertising. It's about money.
Main reason to go to quarters is to reset the team fouls each quarter. That way you don't have a team in the bonus early and an entire half when officials actually call fouls. I also think they should adapt to 6 personal fouls. Foul trouble/human error should not dictate a game. It happens too often a player gets in early foul trouble and it changes the game. Let them play.

You're still adding two more stoppages at the end of Q1 and Q3 that weren't there before.

Still no one has given any reasons whatsoever to show why it would improve gameplay.
Assuming that there would be as many or more TV stoppages, I concur that no change is needed. MBB is a great product and March is one of my favorite times of year because of it. No reason to fix what isn't broken.

If you want to make a good change for MBB, bring back the jump ball for every tie up. I hate alternate possession. Reward the defense by giving them a shot at the ball. But, instead of having a 5'9 ref try to throw the ball up between two 6'10 kids who just tap it on the way up, have a drone hover over the circle and drop the ball straight down for the tip. Bad ass.

If you want to make a good change for MBB, bring back the jump ball for every tie up. I hate alternate possession. Reward the defense by giving them a shot at the ball. But, instead of having a 5'9 ref try to throw the ball up between two 6'10 kids who just tap it on the way up, have a drone hover over the circle and drop the ball straight down for the tip. Bad ass.
Put the ball at half court and have players run from their respective baselines to grab it a la dodgeball.

Latest posts