Purdue or Iowa?

I would rather be Iowa in this case. Don't get me wrong, Painter has several Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 to his name......so overall I would rather have Painter's results.

But, Painter's choke jobs are on a much bigger scale in this tournament compared to Fran's overall ineptness winning the first round or getting out of the first weekend.

Being a 1 and losing to a Sweet 16 makes you historically infamous.

Also, laughable, Purdue towered over FDU and managed to lose.

As bad as Fran and Iowa are in the NCAA tourney, Purdue and Matt Painter are now the poster child for underperforming in the NCAA tourney.

Purdue has lost 3 straight years to double-digit seeds. The last time as a #1 seed losing to a #16. Not even Iowa is that bad. At least Fran can beat a #15 seed. Being a Purdue fan would be worse.

I would swap out Fran for Painter. You would likely end up with the same sorta of drama, but at least you could point to some regular season conference titles. I know that doesn't mean much anymore; however, it is something.

I would rather be Iowa in this case. Don't get me wrong, Painter has several Sweet 16s and an Elite 8 to his name......so overall I would rather have Painter's results.

But, Painter's choke jobs are on a much bigger scale in this tournament compared to Fran's overall ineptness winning the first round or getting out of the first weekend.

Purdue not making it out of the first weekend was the most predictable thing ever.

Purdue. Easier to fix that. Painter doesn't want to play zone defense. Fran really doesn't want to play defense period. :) For sure they both need to get off the I do my thing bandwagon. Be well rounded. Be able to do some of everything. You go into a tourney and get a bad matchup and just keep doing what you do and you get what you get. You get ousted more often than not. Size if you don't have any or you are totally outclassed athletically is one thing but not doing something X's and O's is on the coaches.

FDU was a phenomenally short team

But they were Quick, disciplined, and tenacious

Fun team to watch

Purdue looked Lost and very indecisive, and rather Out-Of-Sorts

We shall how powerful the Big really is, after this weekend

Just looked up Fran's NCAA history at Iowa.

--Lost the play-in game
--Won the first game the next 3 trips (as a 7 seed twice and as a 10 seed) and then lost to the 2 seed.
--Won the first game as a 2 seed and lost to 7 seed Oregon.
--Lost to Richmond in a 5/12 game.
--Lost the 8/9 game to Auburn.

Richmond was absolutely inexcusable. Yeah, 5/12 upsets happen, but Richmond was terrible. Outside of that, none of the other trips were terrible. The problem is that we haven't pulled a single upset and we lose the 50/50 games.

We run into teams like Oregon and Tennessee that outrun/out athlete us.

We have also put ourselves in bad spots during the regular season with stupid losses and get 7, 8, 10, 11 seeds.

I don't know how much of it is that Fran can't coach in the tournament as it is he doesn't put together teams that can succeed in the tournament. Either we don't get a high enough seed and run into a high seed or we run into a team that out-athletes us....or we lose to Richmond. That game still pisses me off.

I don't think that Fran doesn't have the ability to put together a game plan to pull off an upset, we just don't have teams that are built to do it. That's the biggest problem and he needs to figure it out or have mediocre teams.

p

--Lost the play-in game
--Won the first game the next 3 trips (as a 7 seed twice and as a 10 seed) and then lost to the 2 seed.

Richmond was absolutely inexcusable. Yeah, 5/12 upsets happen, but Richmond was terrible. Outside of that, none of the other trips were terrible. The problem is that we haven't pulled a single upset and we lose the 50/50 games.

We have also put ourselves in bad spots during the regular season with stupid losses and get 7, 8, 10, 11 seeds.

I don't know how much of it is that Fran can't coach in the tournament as it is he doesn't put together teams that can succeed in the tournament. Either we don't get a high enough seed and run into a high seed or we run into a team that out-athletes us....or we lose to Richmond. That game still pisses me off.

I don't think that Fran doesn't have the ability to put together a game plan to pull off an upset, we just don't have teams that are built to do it. That's the biggest problem and he needs to figure it out or have mediocre teams.
I don’t mean to hijack your good comments. I am just at a point to largely ignore what occurs in the Dance, though not completely; but, it is a series of games, following a tough focus on the regular season championship, which I consider to be the true test, followed by the conference championship tournament, which is a huge distraction; and it is of minimal value as a test of team ability. With Iowa in line for a very high finish in the regular season races (both football and basketball) only to be upset by Nebraska, of all opponents, pretty much supports my minority opinion. Just a reminder: It is undeniable that only one team goes home happy in basketball, football, wrestling and a bunch of other contests. If we were all evaluated on this measure, we probably all would be failures. Screw that kind of narrow judgement.

--Lost the play-in game

Even a blind squirrel find a nut every once and while.

Fran finds rocks.

1679199131252.png

p

I don’t mean to hijack your good comments. I am just at a point to largely ignore what occurs in the Dance, though not completely; but, it is a series of games, following a tough focus on the regular season championship, which I consider to be the true test, followed by the conference championship tournament, which is a huge distraction; and it is of minimal value as a test of team ability. With Iowa in line for a very high finish in the regular season races (both football and basketball) only to be upset by Nebraska, of all opponents, pretty much supports my minority opinion. Just a reminder: It is undeniable that only one team goes home happy in basketball, football, wrestling and a bunch of other contests. If we were all evaluated on this measure, we probably all would be failures. Screw that kind of narrow judgement.
No question, the regular season keeps Fran employed. No question a lot of teams go home unhappy....ultimately all but one will be standing at the end.

It would be nice though if Fran could find a nut past the first weekend though. At least show this program can have a higher ceiling and get more exposure for our program.

Slightly off topic, but watching a lot of these NCAA games has me concerned about the future of college basketball. I'm shocked at how many teams now try to mirror the NBA: every time down the floor the Center comes out to set a high screen...and that's the offense. Everybody else just stands around the perimeter. Or goes one-on-one. It's painful to watch. The only team that didn't do that today was Arkansas, and they were rewarded handsomely.
Makes me realize how spoiled I am watching Iowa's offense, where players off the ball ACTUALLY MOVE and RUN...geez. No wonder Iowa always ranks high nationally in offensive efficiency and scoring. It all makes sense to me now!

p

I completely agree. I don't feel like yours is a minority opinion, or at least it shouldn't be. The regular season is the measuring stick. How many times do you see a small school get to the Sweet Sixteen, get the coach hired away, go to a bigger school, and fail. Too many times. It's a one time thing. I made the comment (not on here) that beating Auburn and losing to Houston really didn't change much as far as the success of the tournament. Either way we lost and didn't make a run in the tournament. Did winning our bowl game change our thoughts on the season? We lost to Nebraska in our chance to go to the CCG. The year before, we won the West and went on to lose our bowl. I'll take the division championship any day of the week.

Slightly off topic, but watching a lot of these NCAA games has me concerned about the future of college basketball. I'm shocked at how many teams now try to mirror the NBA: every time down the floor the Center comes out to set a high screen...and that's the offense. Everybody else just stands around the perimeter. Or goes one-on-one. It's painful to watch. The only team that didn't do that today was Arkansas, and they were rewarded handsomely.
Makes me realize how spoiled I am watching Iowa's offense, where players off the ball ACTUALLY MOVE and RUN...geez. No wonder Iowa always ranks high nationally in offensive efficiency and scoring. It all makes sense to me now!
So my guess is that you love watching Princeton as much as I do.