Public Service Announcement

Fryowa

Administrator
To any baseball fans out there with open weeknights in the summer, who want to make some cash...consider becoming an IHSAA umpire. There’s a huge shortage in Iowa and registering is a fairly simple process. All you have to do is pay a $50 registration fee, pass an open book test, and if you want to work varsity games take a free one night clinic (the clinic is required once every three years to stay current)

This year’s clinics are in April and located in LeMars, Treynor, Washington, Waverly, and Johnston. You can call the IHSAA office and they’ll put you in touch with your local umpire association. No charge or registration needed for the clinics, you just show up.

Again, there’s a ton of need in the state; you can google “Iowa umpire shortage” and see a bunch of articles talking about it. Most schools around here pay between $100 and $130 for the JV/Varsity game, and if you take on some tournaments on the weekends you can really make some decent coin. I live smack dab in the middle of two conferences and could work every night from the middle of May through the first part of July if I want. For you folks close to the borders, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin have reciprocity agreements where all you have to do (once your certified in Iowa) is pay their registration fee and you can do games in those states. I don’t know about Missouri because I’ve never checked.

If you’re not up for it but you have a buddy who might be interested in getting started, pass the word.

To any baseball fans out there with open weeknights in the summer, who want to make some cash...consider becoming an IHSAA umpire. There’s a huge shortage in Iowa and registering is a fairly simple process. All you have to do is pay a $50 registration fee, pass an open book test, and if you want to work varsity games take a free one night clinic (the clinic is required once every three years to stay current)

This year’s clinics are in April and located in LeMars, Treynor, Washington, Waverly, and Johnston. You can call the IHSAA office and they’ll put you in touch with your local umpire association. No charge or registration needed for the clinics, you just show up.

Again, there’s a ton of need in the state; you can google “Iowa umpire shortage” and see a bunch of articles talking about it. Most schools around here pay between $100 and $130 for the JV/Varsity game, and if you take on some tournaments on the weekends you can really make some decent coin. I live smack dab in the middle of two conferences and could work every night from the middle of May through the first part of July if I want. For you folks close to the borders, South Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin have reciprocity agreements where all you have to do (once your certified in Iowa) is pay their registration fee and you can do games in those states. I don’t know about Missouri because I’ve never checked.

If you’re not up for it but you have a buddy who might be interested in getting started, pass the word.
Sounds dangerous

Most coaches I know and/or coach against treat umpires fine as long as they try. If they half-ass it, they probably deserve a little lip. Just like if a player boots a ball, etc. he's probably not going to get yelled at if he tries. If he half-asses it, he's going to get a little lip, too. Just work and show that you love the game, and you're going to be just fine.

I think he was talking about asshole coaches like me.

Asshole coaches typically come with asshole parents. Once the coaches start chirping then typically the parents do as well.

The shortage of good umpires is real, I used to run a tournament and I would be lucky to find one certified umpire per diamond.

Asshole coaches typically come with asshole parents. Once the coaches start chirping then typically the parents do as well.

The shortage of good umpires is real, I used to run a tournament and I would be lucky to find one certified umpire per diamond.
The parents are the worst. It was mentioned in a different thread about things that you hear from the crowd in different sports from "those people" who obviously have no clue what's going on or what the rules actually are.

There’s chirping on every call, just a matter of from which school’s crowd. I never understood umpires who get butthurt and complain about it; it literally has no effect on my day. If I miss a call I honestly feel bad, but that’s it. Apparently my brain is wired to not give a shit what people think.

Regarding the shortage, in NW Iowa 99% of all youth tournaments are high school or college kids umpiring. The only one I’ve seen that hires registered umpires (and damn good ones) is put on by the Sibley Rec Dept. I coach a travel team that goes by grade level (basically following my kid’s class up since 3rd grade so this is my last year), and that is the only tournament that I’m not willing to change on the schedule.

But you’re correct, there is a huge shortage. A guy who wants to work week nights and some Sat/Sun tournaments can make a bunch of money in 2 1/2 months. I like watching baseball, and if I’m in the stands I’m making the calls in my head anyway. Might as well get a check.

There’s chirping on every call, just a matter of from which school’s crowd. I never understood umpires who get butthurt and complain about it; it literally has no effect on my day. If I miss a call I honestly feel bad, but that’s it. Apparently my brain is wired to not give a shit what people think.

Regarding the shortage, in NW Iowa 99% of all youth tournaments are high school or college kids umpiring. The only one I’ve seen that hires registered umpires (and damn good ones) is put on by the Sibley Rec Dept. I coach a travel team that goes by grade level (basically following my kid’s class up since 3rd grade so this is my last year), and that is the only tournament that I’m not willing to change on the schedule.

But you’re correct, there is a huge shortage. A guy who wants to work week nights and some Sat/Sun tournaments can make a bunch of money in 2 1/2 months. I like watching baseball, and if I’m in the stands I’m making the calls in my head anyway. Might as well get a check.
A brain being wired not to give a shit is one of the best attributes an umpire can have, from city rec to the major leagues. It's another term for "short memory". You can't let a missed call potentially affect the next call, or a critical call that may decide game in the late innings. You have to forget about it and move on.

You mention that this will be the last year coaching your traveling baseball team. Enjoy it. You will get emotional when the season winds down. You will give a shit about that.:) And you will miss it when they're in high school.

Our traveling elementary/middle school team just played their last basketball tournament together two weeks ago in Stevens Point. They had played together since third grade. The team party, where the coach received gifts from the parents and players, was held about a month ago and was very emotional with several tissue moments. The final game was even more emotional. Lots of hugs and tears. They got knocked out of the final four that morning by a buzzer beater and were only playing for fifth place out of 23 teams. But they played hard one last time for their coaches, each other, and themselves. They got fifth place. More importantly, they ended six years of playing together on a high note. The fact that it was my last child coming through middle school made it even more emotional. I will probably be a basket case when he finishes his high school career.

Latest posts