Probably the best opening game of Ferentz era

theboat

i was as frustrated as anyone during the first half, but after the full 60 I’m not sure that could have gone better.

Quality opponent that made Iowa work for everything. Put them in a lot of tough spots with short fields early that Iowa had to adapt and make plays. Defense held strong until the offense could figure some things out.

There are three things I want out of an opening game. No injuries. I want the team to be pushed to get better. And I want the end of the game to be decided enough to get backup reps.

All things considered that was a great way to start the season.

i was as frustrated as anyone during the first half, but after the full 60 I’m not sure that could have gone better.

Quality opponent that made Iowa work for everything. Put them in a lot of tough spots with short fields early that Iowa had to adapt and make plays. Defense held strong until the offense could figure some things out.

There are three things I want out of an opening game. No injuries. I want the team to be pushed to get better. And I want the end of the game to be decided enough to get backup reps.

All things considered that was a great way to start the season.

Agreed. Good game to have going into Iowa St. There are some things that need to get cleaned up, but they don’t seem overwhelming.

Agreed. Good game to have going into Iowa St. There are some things that need to get cleaned up, but they don’t seem overwhelming.
Yup. Far from perfect so a lot of ways to get better. Arguably Iowa’s most talented offensive player had real struggles. 2 OL out. 2 DL out. Missed throws by Stanley. A lot of room for improvement .

Historically that goes the way of the previous NIU games though with a narrow win or even a loss.

that first half was garbage! I was at thegame and starting thinking we will only be better than Illinois and maybe Nebraska this year.

Gotta agree with you @theboat By the time the 3rd quarter was done I felt like Iowa was just leaning into N. Ill and just taking their spirit away from them. The really good Iowa teams have that ability to make a 14 pt lead feel like 24 points with the way they can take the air out of the ball and just run clock and run it up the opponents ass even though they know it is coming.

I really thought if Iowa could win by 10 or more, that I would be pretty happy. Missing your only two OT that had any kind of experience, and also losing 2 DT while breaking in 3 new LB kind of scared me some for the N. Ill game. The way the Iowa rushing game took over the second half was very encouraging. 151 yards and 5.2 YPC in the second half was fun to watch. Everyone in the stands, at home and on the N. Ill sideline knew we were going to run the ball and they simply couldn't stop what they knew was coming.

Defensively Iowa's DL looked outstanding. The secondary covered well, and the LB play while shaky at times felt better in the second half. To me the only disappointing part of the game was Amani Jones at MLB and the Iowa passing game looked horrible. Now I think the passing game will be fine, but I have no idea what we have at MLB right now. Is Jones gonna reclaim that job, is Hockaday taking over? Lots of ?????? there.

Ya, calm down, it wasn't like we had to play Note Dame, Purdue, or Northwestern in game one. Iowa will execute when they need to! Let's not waste it against a lowly MAC team.

Ya, calm down, it wasn't like we had to play Note Dame, Purdue, or Northwestern in game one. Iowa will execute when they need to! Let's not waste it against a lowly MAC team.
You must not have been paying attention the last 20 years. That was clearly not the norm

I'll take the 2003 opener against Miami of Ohio. Iowa shut down Ben Roethlisberger for a score of 21-3. Miami of Ohio would win all the rest of their games. Iowa didn't do too shabby that year either.

Okay, Brian.
535ptld.gif

Totally agree with OPs opinion about this opening game.

Ferentz's teams start slow. This was less slow against a decent opponent.