Pour me another, Nugent

STILLBUSTER

FINALLY - Kudos, Nugent, for writing a piece with some meat, meaning and relevance. Beer is as much a part of football Saturday as the game itself. We drink it before and after, sing about it, celebrate it, toast 'em with it, yet, are denied it during the game, when it would add-to the fun. It's time to open up the "blind-eye", dump the elitist hypocrisy and give it due consideration.

Nugent outlines a simple, common sense way of how this could ... and should ... be done. Unless, of course, that "gameday experience" was nothing more than the routine placation of the common folk ... What? Not from the Iowa Admin's ;-)

Let a born-n-bred, grown-up Iowan - Alum, no less - enjoy a beer or 3 while he cheers on the Hawks, instead of punishing him for the inability of a VERY small few to maintain their drink. Do it, and I would probably become a former - former, long-time season ticket holder.

I'll take 2, Two-Star!

Improve the restroom capacity first. It will be a tough choice for us older guys; spend half-time in line for beer, or spend it in line for the restroom.

Improve the restroom capacity first. It will be a tough choice for us older guys; spend half-time in line for beer, or spend it in line for the restroom.

I hear ya. My prostate isn't what it used to be. 'bout the size of a softball now.

Geez, I have not had a beer spilled on me since the last time I watched Iowa at Maryland. Look forward to it at Kinnick in the future!

Nice article except I will disagree with one comment: "There is no chance that Iowa brings in that much cash when you compare Texas’ 100,119-seat stadium to 70,585-seat Kinnick."

There seems to be no bounds when it comes to Iowa fans and drinking. In 2014 when Iowa invaded (and lost) to Maryland in the inaugural game at Byrd Stadium, we held a party at a local brew pub the night before the game. Well attended by hundreds of Hawkeye fans. At the end of the night, the staff said they had never seen so much alcohol consumed by one group at their establishment. The kicker, this bar/restaurant is one of the homes to the Washington Capitals fans, and one block from the Verizon Center. We all know how hockey fans like to drink. The Hawk fans made them run out of beer, they had to call in more bartenders, and their well drinks were exhausted too. We just laughed. They planned for alcohol consumption for a typical home hockey game crowd and were blown away.

University will never do it. Too much liability. If a kid comes in drunk, and gets even one beer from the concession stand, and something happens, the University will be blamed for overserving the kid, and then the lawyers will come out of the woodwork to try and dig into the deep Athletic Dept pockets.

Besides, part of the fun is sneaking in those little bottles of Fireball. Makes you feel like a kid again, pulling the wool over your parent's eyes.

I havent drank alcohol before games for many, many years just because of the bathroom situation. I dont want to miss 25% of the game waiting to go to the bathroom. And all this would cause is a bunch of dbags having to walk in front of you 100 times a game to go to pee.

I can wait until after the game to have a few.

Latest posts