Post Game Comment That Bothered Me

McHawkin

Did anyone hear Lick say "I just gotta take care of me first" in the post game interview with Dolph. I didn't like it and I didn't care for the tone in his voice when he said it.

The dude has pretty much been taking care of himself while he collects fat checks to just Lickloiter around Iowa City.

That is what I will calll what Todd Lickliter has been doing the last three seasons. Lickloitering in Iowa City and getting away with highway robbery.

I heard that interview twice but I don't remember him saying that...not saying you're wrong, I just can't comment because I didn't hear it.

I don't think I've heard anyone whose opinion I respect indicate he has not worked hard and done the best job he could to help turn this program around and win ballgames.

HawkeyeShane -

He said it at the very end of the interview. I heard it when the interview was replayed on 1460 KXNO in Des Moines. If you actually heard the comment, his tone said it all as far as I'm concerned.

I think he was saying that's barta's decision not his, I don't remember him saying I just got to take care of me. Even if he did, he's a good guy, hope he's gone, but it's not going to be an alford type divorce.

I don't think I've heard anyone whose opinion I respect indicate he has not worked hard and done the best job he could to help turn this program around and win ballgames.

That's fair, and maybe I was a little harsh, but the way he came off when he said it just really ticked me off.

Could not disagree more wholeheartedly with the OP. If he made that comment he had to have meant that "he only worries about things he can control."

Wait, did he say it after he said "Ask Gary Barta"? When Dolph asked about the rumors? If that's when he said it, I don't blame him for being standoffish...holy crap, are we getting THAT nit-picky?

I think he was saying that's barta's decision not his, I don't remember him saying I just got to take care of me. Even if he did, he's a good guy, hope he's gone, but it's not going to be an alford type divorce.

That is exactly what he said. I heard it live and then when it was replayed on the post game show. His tone was bad, but then again, it was just a couple of minutes the conclusion of the game.

Lick is probably not the happiest guy right now, I dont blame him if he said it and sounded angry. He just coached a team that will go down as the worst in the programs history and is on a very hot seat for losing nearly 60 games in three seasons. I am sure it is not a good feeling.

Lick is probably not the happiest guy right now, I dont blame him if he said it and sounded angry. He just coached a team that will go down as the worst in the programs history and is on a very hot seat for losing nearly 60 games in three seasons. I am sure it is not a good feeling.

Exactly.

Really the only thing he said that bothered me was something to the effect "I've done a good job".

It's a good line, but I don't agree with the sentiment. Does anyone have any basis whatsoever for suggesting Lickliter hasn't worked his a** off to succeed? The results have been awful, but effort was never the issue that I've heard.

No one can argue that the win-loss record in any of the past 3 seasons is acceptable. Take a look a talent that has come into the program in his tenure. We have 2 solid players in each of the last 2 classes (Gatens-Fuller & May-Payne). We have a top 30 class coming in next year. I think the worst is behind us. If we stay with Lick then we can start to enjoy the benefits of continuity.

Lick made a strategic decision to purge the roster of the old ballers and is paying the price right now. The benefit, if we stay with him, is that the right guys start coming into the program and the guys that make you want to pull your hair out at times (i.e. Brommer, Little Lick) will disappear.

Lick can get us 20 win seasons year in and year out. With upper classmen starting each game our W-L record will definately get better. I know this is the minority opinion but I think Lick is back next year and we start to see good things coming our way.

Latest posts