Poll--Better coach: Ferentz or Campbell

Who is the better coach

• Kirk Ferentz

Votes: 34 97.1%
  • Matt Campbell

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

99topdawg

The two were ranked 14th and 15th in a 247 article, so I'm curious what the real experts think. After seeing their seasons, whaddya think?

The two were ranked 14th and 15th in a 247 article, so I'm curious what the real experts think. After seeing their seasons, whaddya think?
Definitely Ferentz. For all the shit he gets around here and other places, the guy has won a lot of ball games in one of the toughest football leagues there are. He's also been consistently on the plus side of the W/L for over two decades in a P5 program. The total number of people who can say that would fit in a decent sized SUV.

Campbell has done jack squat comparatively. He has no history to speak of, and plays in a total garbage conference. And he's never beaten Ferentz.

Definitely Ferentz. For all the shit he gets around here and other places, the guy has won a lot of ball games in one of the toughest football leagues there are. He's also been consistently on the plus side of the W/L for over two decades in a P5 program. The total number of people who can say that would fit in a decent sized SUV.

Campbell has done jack squat comparatively. He has no history to speak of, and plays in a total garbage conference. And he's never beaten Ferentz.
Exactly. I was thinking that there would be people that always talk about how bad he is that would either continue to talk about how terrible Ferentz and have to talk about how great Campbell is or eat their words and talk about how good he is. They can't it both ways.

Exactly. I was thinking that there would be people that always talk about how bad he is that would either continue to talk about how terrible Ferentz and have to talk about how great Campbell is or eat their words and talk about how good he is. They can't it both ways.

Yeah, Ferentz is basically a poor man's Frank Beamer who never lucked into a player the caliber of Mike Vick and who had the misfortune of coaching in the B1G rather than the Big Least and ACC. Beamer is a legend and Ferentz is on that level. To say Campbell at this point of his career is anywhere near that is preposterous.

Campbell had one good year with an asterisk. His biggest bowl win was against a 4-win Oregon club with half the team missing. Had a 7 win team with the best team in history. Ferentz hands down.

Last edited:
2016. - Iowa 42, ISU 3
2017 - Iowa 44, ISU 41
2018 - Iowa 13, ISU 3
2019 - Iowa 18, ISU 17
2020 - did not play
2021 - Iowa 27, ISU 17

That's 5-0 baby. End of discussion.
Clown fans would use that to argue that CPR (that's Coach Paul Rhodes in clown language) is better than CKF.

As framed, the question is ludicrous to ask. KF has clearly had a much longer and better career. Even if you want to say that ISU was garbage when Campell took over and he turned it around and made ISU relevant, so was Iowa when KF took over. Fry was a great coach, but left that cupboard bare when he hung them up. Three years later, KF was one Freddy Russell ankle injury from potentially playing for a Nattie.

As framed, the question is ludicrous to ask. KF has clearly had a much longer and better career. Even if you want to say that ISU was garbage when Campell took over and he turned it around and made ISU relevant, so was Iowa when KF took over. Fry was a great coach, but left that cupboard bare when he hung them up. Three years later, KF was one Freddy Russell ankle injury from potentially playing for a Nattie.
You could compare Campbell's first 5 years to KF's - even more of a no brainer. In some fairness though, Iowa has at least some winning history where ISU does not.

I voted for KF, but I think Campbell has a future. Right now, KF and his staff have recruited more talented players overall. KF still wins the battle for home state recruits. And yes, the Fry tradition with KF’s follow up success is hard to top.

Clown fans would use that to argue that CPR (that's Coach Paul Rhodes in clown language) is better than CKF.
Ferentz was 4-3 overall vs. CPR. So even that argument does not work.

But maybe thats an argument that Rhoads was a better coach than Campbell? At least against Ferentz, CPR was better than Campbell. But KF was still better than both.

ISU fans can't admit that it takes a long time to build a tradition. If Campbell stays in Ames long-term and retires there, then maybe they can revisit this question, but not until then.

I voted for KF, but I think Campbell has a future. Right now, KF and his staff have recruited more talented players overall. KF still wins the battle for home state recruits. And yes, the Fry tradition with KF’s follow up success is hard to top.
This is where I’m at, too. Ferentz has done well and is the better coach at this point. He’s not perfect — rhabdo, the criticism from SOME former Black players, mishandling of the dissolution of his racial advisory group, lacking in certain football fundamentals like taking a risk to win, a hurry-up offense and clock awareness (management?) He has plateaued, IMHO. And I continue to refuse to believe Brian was (and is) the best person for offensive coordinator. The son probably cost his Dad a few wins with inept play calling.

I see Campbell as an up-and-comer who is able to get better talent at skill positions, coaches exciting ball and has fired up the Clown base. IF HE STAYS — a big IF — he could become a real headache for that other team to the East.

Last edited:
I voted for KF, but I would take Campbell as a replacement when KF retires. I think he is a heck of a coach. You can quibble about little things like in-game decisions (the sorts of things we love to second-guess about KF), but the foundation of his teams is rock-solid.

Also, it would be kind of sweet to steal the greatest coach their program ever had. I am not an ISU-hater, but to do that to any rival is pretty ice-cold.

But I suppose it is early for Campbell...let's see the trajectory over the next few years.

Latest posts