Outsider thoughts on KF

BryceC

Most of you know I'm an ISU fan but I do root for Iowa. There is a lot of heat coming down on KF so far this season and truth be told the team hasn't looked good, but I've only seen yesterday's game and about a half of Ball State.

Long story short, I do think Ferentz's best quality is his ability to identify under the radar guys and develop them. I think he's the best developer of talent in the country. IMO the problems begin when this doesn't happen.

I agree that the offense is stale, but I do believe that is by design. I think the entire system is predicated on having better talent than the other team. When Iowa has had good success in this era (and there have been some very good and exciting seasons) the defense has been phenomenal and the offensive line has been absolute maulers. The fans I know love talking about how there have been years where entire defenses have spent some time in the NFL. It's truly impressive but this defense is not going to put that many guys in the league as it stands now. The offensive line is not up to those previous standards. Rudock isn't as good as Stanzi was. I don't know if Kirk needs to go because I do think he's a good coach. But some changes need to be made. I just don't get why Iowa does some of the things it does offensively especially.

Kirk is a positions coach stuck in a head coaching position. If he was as good at self evaluation as he is at evaluating under the radar talent, he could hire people to cover his deficiencies.

Kirk is a positions coach stuck in a head coaching position. If he was as good at self evaluation as he is at evaluating under the radar talent, he could hire people to cover his deficiencies.

Bingo

Good points, BryceC. But my only thought after reading thexperience whole OP is why the **** are you over here and not on your own forums celebrating the win?

Bryce, we've talked about this. The horizontal passing game, when not paired with a vertical game, will never work with rest of Iowa's M.O.

Kirk will never allow an aggressive offensive scheme, but KoK's game was infinitely more compatible with Iowa than what GD has tried to bring in. It will never work and we will never be good with GD unless he completely abandons his style and just tries to replicate KoK.

Given the talent available and inherent constraints to Iowa's program, we must be able to win at trench warfare, and we will never, ever be able to do that unless we stretch the field vertically.

Latest posts