OT, it time to rename the Lombardi trophy

BILLBUCKNER

to Belichick Trophy? He has to be the greatest NFL coach of all time. He has managed to keep his team relevant for over 10 years. Few coaches can say that in this modern era of football. Of course he has Tom Brady(probably the greatest NFL QB of all time) but all his other personel have changed.

Last edited:
Who the **** is Billicek?

I think the OP added an "e" by mistake. Brian Billick was a pretty good coach, OC for the 1998 Vikes that blew the NFC Championship, won a Super Bowl with the Ravens in 2001. But to say they should name the Super Bowl trophy after him may be a bit aggressive.

I would put him in the same category as Chuck Noll, Don Shula, Tom Landry and Bill Walsh. Maybe if Bellicek goes on to break Don Shula's all time record for coaching victories, then maybe its worth.

George Halas already has the NFC trophy named after him. The AFC has Lamar Hunt. Maybe they can rename the AFC trophy after Bellicek.

I think the OP added an "e" by mistake. Brian Billick was a pretty good coach, OC for the 1998 Vikes that blew the NFC Championship, won a Super Bowl with the Ravens in 2001. But to say they should name the Super Bowl trophy after him may be a bit aggressive.

He won a super bowl with Trent Dilfer as his starting QB, I'm alright with changing the name of the trophy based on this.

Good grief. What a terrible idea. Sure...let's name the super bowl trophy after a proven cheater. Nice.

Vince Lombardi....never had a losing season as head coach....5 NFL championships in 9 seasons at Green Bay (which had won a grand total of 1 game the year before he started). Took that 1 win team to the championship game his second year, and the title his 3rd. Won 3 NFL titles in a row...something no other team has done (Packers have done it twice). Only lost 1 playoff game as head coach.

thumbs-down-cropped.jpg

The Ferentz Trophy? For the head coach most focused on developing the building blocks of playoff teams?

Vince Lombardi was the greatest, and it is not even close. He would have won 5 Super Bowls if they had played it prior to Super Bowl I. And, he won without any evidence of cheating. The bum at New England is a cheater, and everyone knows it. When you cheat, it ruins the legacy.

I would argue the league was not nearly as competitive as it is today.. There was no free agency so Lombardi had essentially the same team for his run. As far as cheating.. give me a break there was no ESPN back then..NO 24 hour news cycle so you would no if someone had deflated balls. Everything is disected and beat to death now....

Since the arrival of head coach Bill Belichick in 2000, the Patriots have become one of the most successful teams in NFL history. They are tied with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys as the teams with the most Super Bowl appearances overall (eight each), and have the most appearances in the last 25 years. They have twelve AFC East titles in fourteen seasons since 2001, and have not had a losing season since 2000. Before Belichick arrived, the Patriots had only notched consecutive playoff appearances twice in their history. Between 2001 and 2010, the Patriots set a record for most wins in a decade (121, different from conventionally bounded decades, 2000–2009, 1990–1999, etc.; this record references any ten-year stretch; second is the 1984–1993 San Francisco 49ers, with 120 wins); they broke their own record in 2011 (2002–2011: 123 wins), and again in 2012 (2003–2012: 126 wins—nearly 13 regular season wins per season). Between 2001 and 2005, the Patriots became the second team in NFL history (after the Dallas Cowboys) to win three Super Bowls in four years (Super Bowl XXXVI, Super Bowl XXXVIII, and Super Bowl XXXIX), and the eighth to win consecutive Super Bowls. The Patriots, however, were defeated by the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII, after winning the first 18 games of their 2007 season. They were defeated again by the Giants in Super Bowl XLVI. During Belichick's tenure with the team along with quarterback Tom Brady, the Patriots have also compiled the longest winning streak consisting of regular season and playoff games in NFL history, a 21-game streak from October 2003 to October 2004.

Stop hating and give the man his due. I am only kidding about renaming the trophy,but what he has accomplished is worthy.

Why do Patriots fans keep wanting more attention. With the NFL and the media falling all over themselves promoting the Patriots you'd think they'd be happy. Any other team that would have multiple scandals on their record would be buried. Bill Belichick has had cheating allegations against him since 2001. I don't recall any cheating going on while he was with the Browns. Maybe his record there is more indicative of his coaching ability.

to Belichick Trophy? He has to be the greatest NFL coach of all time. He has managed to keep his team relevant for over 10 years. Few coaches can say that in this modern era of football. Of course he has Tom Brady(probably the greatest NFL QB of all time) but all his other personel have changed.

No effing way. Chuck Noll was better. That Patriots coaches character is a bit suspect, too, I might add. In case you've forgotten, the Steelers won 4 Super Bowls in 6 seasons. Beli-whoever has 2 losses. Chuck Noll is undefeated. Period.

I would argue the league was not nearly as competitive as it is today.. There was no free agency so Lombardi had essentially the same team for his run. As far as cheating.. give me a break there was no ESPN back then..NO 24 hour news cycle so you would no if someone had deflated balls. Everything is disected and beat to death now....

Since the arrival of head coach Bill Belichick in 2000, the Patriots have become one of the most successful teams in NFL history. They are tied with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys as the teams with the most Super Bowl appearances overall (eight each), and have the most appearances in the last 25 years. They have twelve AFC East titles in fourteen seasons since 2001, and have not had a losing season since 2000. Before Belichick arrived, the Patriots had only notched consecutive playoff appearances twice in their history. Between 2001 and 2010, the Patriots set a record for most wins in a decade (121, different from conventionally bounded decades, 2000–2009, 1990–1999, etc.; this record references any ten-year stretch; second is the 1984–1993 San Francisco 49ers, with 120 wins); they broke their own record in 2011 (2002–2011: 123 wins), and again in 2012 (2003–2012: 126 wins—nearly 13 regular season wins per season). Between 2001 and 2005, the Patriots became the second team in NFL history (after the Dallas Cowboys) to win three Super Bowls in four years (Super Bowl XXXVI, Super Bowl XXXVIII, and Super Bowl XXXIX), and the eighth to win consecutive Super Bowls. The Patriots, however, were defeated by the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII, after winning the first 18 games of their 2007 season. They were defeated again by the Giants in Super Bowl XLVI. During Belichick's tenure with the team along with quarterback Tom Brady, the Patriots have also compiled the longest winning streak consisting of regular season and playoff games in NFL history, a 21-game streak from October 2003 to October 2004.

Stop hating and give the man his due. I am only kidding about renaming the trophy,but what he has accomplished is worthy.

And I would argue that free agency makes it easier. From 1969 to 1974, Chuck Noll drafted...DRAFTED these Hall of Famers: Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Mel Blount, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Mike Webster, Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. Lambert, Webster, Swann and Stallworth ALL drafted in 1974. That is 9 Hall of Famers through the draft with no free agency. You can't afford to make a mistake because there was no free agency to fix it. Seriously, it isn't even close. That is almost an average of 2 Hall of Famers per draft for 5 straight drafts.

And I would argue that free agency makes it easier. From 1969 to 1974, Chuck Noll drafted...DRAFTED these Hall of Famers: Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Mel Blount, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Mike Webster, Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. Lambert, Webster, Swann and Stallworth ALL drafted in 1974. That is 9 Hall of Famers through the draft with no free agency. You can't afford to make a mistake because there was no free agency to fix it. Seriously, it isn't even close. That is almost an average of 2 Hall of Famers per draft for 5 straight drafts.

Jeebuz..he also got to keep them.

He might be the biggest cheater of all time in the NFL, that is about all i would give that scum bag.

He might be the biggest cheater of all time in the NFL, that is about all i would give that scum bag.

Put your jealousy aside.. I pointed out earlier in this thread there was no ESPN or 24 hour news cycle searching for dirt.. As they say in the sec ,if you aint cheatin ,you aint tryin. Don't tell me ST Lombardi was above getting any advantage he could get.

Jeebuz..he also got to keep them.

billy, unfortunately, you've let another grounder get between your legs for an error. So, you're saying that it isn't important that Chuck Noll drafted 9 HOF'ers in 5 drafts, but that he got to keep them? Really?

billy, unfortunately, you've let another grounder get between your legs for an error.

Speaking of this, have you ever seen this? Watch from about 1:00 to 1:30.

[video=youtube;zycD4gctBQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zycD4gctBQE#t=61[/video]

Latest posts