One of the biggest games ever for Iowa this weekend?

LaxGoHawks

I know these boards have been lighting up lately about each game is just as important as the next and they all have been the biggest game of the year and I agree with that to a point. But this road game against a second place Big 10 team (Michigan State) could:

1) keep us undefeated (nice)
2) keep us in 1st place alone (big)
3) set us up for the last 4 games where 3 of them are at home (huge)
4) put us at 8-0 in 8 games for the first time ever to start a season (historical)

I think I have studied enough Iowa football history now to know that this situation does not come around too often for the University of Iowa, like never. I do not count 1899 and 1900 because there were ties in between starting 7-0 and 8-0. 1921 and 1922 were undefeated seasons but there were only 7 games (which we have matched). The 1920-1923 win streak wont be touched, but that is another topic.

If Iowa wins this Saturday of course next week's game will replace this week's game in historical significance, but we can discuss that next week hopefully.

Every weekend from here on out are the biggest games ever for Iowa as long as we stay undefeated and it looks like our boys are playing that way as well. This weekend is HUGE, just as the last three have been. The more we win, the more important each game becomes.

I agree this is a huge game......lets just hope we can get the top 10 curse off our backs.......idk if we have won a game under ferentz while ranked in the top 10........

Every weekend from here on out are the biggest games ever for Iowa as long as we stay undefeated and it looks like our boys are playing that way as well. This weekend is HUGE, just as the last three have been. The more we win, the more important each game becomes.

Absolutely. If we win this weekend we're in unchartered territory...it'll be up to the coaching staff to keep our guys' heads from expanding. They did it in 2002 with superior talent...I hope they can do it with this bunch.

I saw a post saying that Wisconsin was the biggest game... I would say all games from here on out are the "biggest" games of the season... we need to win them all.

I saw a post saying that Wisconsin was the biggest game... I would say all games from here on out are the "biggest" games of the season... we need to win them all.

Yep. If they win this weekend, Indiana will be the biggest game of the season, so on and so forth.

That being said, it's easy to think that even with a loss, Iowa would still in the drivers seat for the conference championship - but without OSU on the schedule, and PSU having to go to East Lansing, Sparty would look to have the inside track if they come out on top Saturday night.

I wouldn't say Iowa has a top 10 curse though. They were ranked #10 heading into Wisky game in 2002, won 20-3. Killed Northwestern on Senior Day. And then we all know how the Minny game went that year. Granted, that was 2002.

I have to echo everyone else on this thread. Michigan State was the third "tough game" on the schedule, because pundits thought they, Penn State, Wisconsin and Ohio State would all be much better than they have been. Once we beat Penn State, that was our best win. Then we beat Michigan at home, and that validated the win at Happey Valley. Now we've beaten Wisconsin in Camp Randall, which validated the other two. The game in Sparty's house will validate the other three, as would a win at the 'Shoe.

Yes, every game is a big game, and will bode toward where the Hawks go in January. (Note that I said "January" and not "December," because I expect at least a Jan. 1 bowl game somewhere.)

I have to agree with most of the other posts, as long as we keep winning, the next game only gets bigger and more intense. Enjoy it because we don't see seasons like this too often.

I think that what you all are saying is true only to a point. The Wisc. game proved to be larger IMO, due to the hawks needing to prove to themselves that they can in fact win a big game on the road. They did and they/we are getting some of the latent respect that is due them/us. If we have a letdown here this week, well, it's a bummer in the NC scenarios and uncharted record books, but not the end of the world for BCS and Big Ten titles. It would certainly put more pressure on for the OSU game. I just think that win this past weekend was huge in so many respects.

The biggest game for Iowa this weeekend, and all weekends to come, is the mental one. If they stay hungry, anything after this weekend is historical for Iowa.

I think that what you all are saying is true only to a point. The Wisc. game proved to be larger IMO, due to the hawks needing to prove to themselves that they can in fact win a big game on the road. They did and they/we are getting some of the latent respect that is due them/us. If we have a letdown here this week, well, it's a bummer in the NC scenarios and uncharted record books, but not the end of the world for BCS and Big Ten titles. It would certainly put more pressure on for the OSU game. I just think that win this past weekend was huge in so many respects.

Hadn't they done 2 times before the Wisconsin game? The ISU game was huge when you consider what happened the week before against UNI, and the Penn State was huge because it opened the doors for all the possibilities that lay before Iowa now.

This is the game I have been worried about most since the beginning of the season. Ok, although that statement is really true, I'm actually really trying to see if my account is working. ;)

This game is important because it is the next game, same with Indiana and Northwestern. The defining game of the season is Ohio State, assuming we win the next 3. Which is a big assumption. Beat Ohio State and we win the Big 10 and go to a BCS bowl no matter what happens vs Minnesota.

Biggest game ever? Didn't we go through this before the Michigan game? And then the Wisconsin game? And now the Mich St game? Why do we have to re hash this on a weekly basis?

Unless the year is 1985 and It's #1 Iowa against #2 Michigan then NO it is not the Biggest game in Iowa Football history. The only way to surpass that game is a NC game. IMHO of course.

This game is important because it is the next game, same with Indiana and Northwestern. The defining game of the season is Ohio State, assuming we win the next 3. Which is a big assumption. Beat Ohio State and we win the Big 10 and go to a BCS bowl no matter what happens vs Minnesota.

That be true.

If the Hawks can beat Ohio State, they can lose a game and still win the Big 10. It would be great to win out, though.

+1

We are under extreme pressure from here on out and I believe EVERY game from now on is our biggest game of the year. Hopefully Captain Kirk and the team can deal with the pressure and keep this going. MSU is going to be a hard game but I think our guys know how to handle the pressure and adversity that goes with being a top 10 team. I cannot say enough about the leadership I have seen on this team this year.......

Latest posts