Offseason - Major Disappointment

NikeHawk21

It seems the shine of the supposed momentum from our tournament performance has already worn off and then some. This offseason has been quite frankly a disaster, and maybe that tournament was just some lipstick on a you know what.

-Dailey Transfer (not entirely unexpected, and certainly not a crushing blow, but the start of things to come)

-Cook declares (again, expected by many but still hurts losing a player like him early)

-Francis leaves on what appears to be a sideways move, and Iowa (likely) hires from within, when some fresh blood (defense / recruiting) was desperately needed. (Eldridge seems like a good guy and very deserving, I just think this was an opportunity to bring something new in when the program seems to be getting a little stale in some regards)

-Moss transfer (a multi-year B1G Starter transfers because he wants a bigger role, likely at a smaller school. Iowa was already light on guards, that one hurts)

-Transfer market washes up (Iowa could have used a sit transfer to balance classes, but loses out on Harvey to a team that went 0-18 in SEC play last year. With the Moss departure Iowa should look at a grad transfer guard, but doesn’t sound like there is any movement on that front. I understand this is a tough market, but the Harvey race was a two team race)

-2020 recruiting looks bleaker by the day (Iowa is all in on Foster, and it certainly won’t be for lack of effort there, but I wonder if he sees Nunge and Garza as an impediment for immediate playing time. Elsewhere Fran is throwing his name in on a ton of big fish, who occasionally say nice things about Iowa, but none seem realistic at this point. 4* guard Tyler Beard would like to visit, but the staff hasn’t set one up, so I’m thinking they might have cooled on him for some reason. PG Nijel Pack has a crystal ball to Iowa on 247 and many think he’s going to blow up with offers soon, but Iowa is yet to offer. The 2020 recruiting class is massive for Iowa, and it starting to feel like it’s going to be another disappointment)

Iowa b-ball desperately needs some good news, this offseason has been a rough one.

Your recruiting comments are exactly why I'm ready to move on from Fran. We desperately need guards and he hasn't freaking offered any. There's no reason why we shouldn't have offered Beard and Pack by now. We aren't getting Foster. I'm very confident of that. Not when blue bloods are sniffing around and likely to offer. I just don't understand what Fran is doing with recruiting.

Your recruiting comments are exactly why I'm ready to move on from Fran. We desperately need guards and he hasn't freaking offered any. There's no reason why we shouldn't have offered Beard and Pack by now. We aren't getting Foster. I'm very confident of that. Not when blue bloods are sniffing around and likely to offer. I just don't understand what Fran is doing with recruiting.
We have offered Beard and a handful of other 4* guards, but for some reason haven’t offered Pack (his best offer is Butler to date). The only thing I can think of on Pack is he is a smaller guard so would kind of be similar to Touissant.

I'm sure there'll be some fall-back guy with a high motor and sneaky athleticism that Fran can get to come here to assuage our doubts.

We have offered Beard and a handful of other 4* guards, but for some reason haven’t offered Pack (his best offer is Butler to date). The only thing I can think of on Pack is he is a smaller guard so would kind of be similar to Touissant.

I know all speculation on your part, but if true there is seriously something wrong. 90% of our team fits almost the same prototypical mold and skill set, but unfortunately I could see this line of thinking making perfect sense in Fran's world.

My concerns start with the Asst job. FM could hire an outside his realm young recruiter and coach. Not to denigrate Eldridge, this seems like a yes man hire.

Next year on the wing we have JBO, CJF, CM or possibly JW to drop down. Moss and Dailey did a pretty good job of d on the wing in 2018.
Fran needs to find a one year guy that can slash and defend. NOW.

The comment on recruiting for 2020 is spot on. That’s why his Asst hire is a top priority.

FM had momentum from a good year in 2018. The next few months are key for his future at Iowa. If he cares beyond 4 years.

My concerns start with the Asst job. FM could hire an outside his realm young recruiter and coach. Not to denigrate Eldridge, this seems like a yes man hire.

Next year on the wing we have JBO, CJF, CM or possibly JW to drop down. Moss and Dailey did a pretty good job of d on the wing in 2018.
Fran needs to find a one year guy that can slash and defend. NOW.

The comment on recruiting for 2020 is spot on. That’s why his Asst hire is a top priority.

FM had momentum from a good year in 2018. The next few months are key for his future at Iowa. If he cares beyond 4 years.
They are pretty interchangeable, but for clarification Wieskamp played the wing or “3” this season, he generally guarded the taller players as he is taller and has a longer wingspan than Moss, who was at the 2.

Joe will eat up 30+ minutes in that spot next year, but our issue now is at the guard spot. If Joe Toussaint and / or CJ Frederick aren’t the real deal I think we are in trouble.

Last edited:
Your recruiting comments are exactly why I'm ready to move on from Fran. .
We need a total bomb season. Like 8 wins total.

That's the one and only thing that will make donors' ears perk up. They're the final say in who the basketball coach is, not Gare Bear

We need a total bomb season. Like 8 wins total.

That's the one and only thing that will make donors' ears perk up. They're the final say in who the basketball coach is, not Gare Bear

Well it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility since this offseason has gone pretty much as poorly as possible.

Clearly "major disappointment" is over the top.
I bet 80% of the posters here had never heard of DJ before three weeks ago.
The Hausers were always a long shot.
TC and Daily leaving were expected and probably for the best.
IM leaving is totally weird. But the jury is out on whether it's for better or worse.
Francis leaving- sorry, can't get that upset about it. Unless the next asst coach hire is a bad choice.

A hair's breadth from the sweet sixteen in 2019. Reasonable chance we're back in the NCAA 2020. Senior season for the greatest shooter in Iowa history. Recruiting class still TBD.

It's not all roses but it's definitely not worth whining about.

Our only hope is to sign one or two players out there that haven’t made a commitment yet. Would love to land Jalen Suggs. 5 star combo guard that would also play football.

Wait until Joe W announces he's going pro. That will be the worst news of the offseason.
Hopefully, he can go pro and make a bunch of money. The guys security is more important than a college basketball team. If Nunge and Fredrick work out, which I think they will, next year could be pretty good. Iowa was pretty lucky in around four conference games that could of gone the other way last year. I hope the best for Tyler Cook, but with his shooting and turn overs that lead to probably around six or seven less possessions last year per game it did hamper the team. That is a lot to overcome. I think Nunge and Pemsl can take his place.

Hopefully, he can go pro and make a bunch of money. The guys security is more important than a college basketball team. If Nunge and Fredrick work out, which I think they will, next year could be pretty good. Iowa was pretty lucky in around four conference games that could of gone the other way last year. I hope the best for Tyler Cook, but with his shooting and turn overs that lead to probably around six or seven less possessions last year per game it did hamper the team. That is a lot to overcome. I think Nunge and Pemsl can take his place.
And Iowa was pretty unlucky in at least two conference games (Maryland, Nebraska) Usually, those types of games even out. Iowa, in the first eight years of the Fran era, wasn't even getting "luck" type games to even out. KenPom verifies this.

This wasn't luck as much as it was a way overdue correction to the mean.

Basketball is 90% recruiting. Always expect disappointment at Iowa. It’s the one thing we do constantly and well.

Wait until Joe W announces he's going pro. That will be the worst news of the offseason.

He's gonna go play for $30K somewhere instead of returning to Iowa for at least one more season, upping his profile for the NBA in the future, and getting his degree?

Nah, man, don't think so.

All I have to say is the guys that are in the way of Moss having a bigger role on the team better be better than Moss or Fran will have some major explaining to do. I can't think of a major conference program letting a 3-year starter walk in favor of true freshmen (sans maybe Duke or Kentucky).

I think you are joking but I really don't get this whole mindset. He is no where near that level. Yet perhaps. He tends to disappear against more athletic players which the NBA is full of.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the kid but he needs a couple more years of experience to strengthen his all around game.

I know this is the state of affairs in college basketball these days as it is a good way to get a free evaluation, but it makes me wonder if some of these kids get restless or worn down playing for Fran?

It's not been a great off season for news for the Hawks, no other way to really spin it. Losing Moss hurts, losing Cook hurts. Losing Dailey? Not as much. The only solace you can take is that Iowa did stash some pieces on the bench this off season and they are all players at positions I'd consider in need.

Latest posts