***Official Phonetics 101 "Is It CO Burn or COCK Burn?" Game Thread***

ISU had a fullback with the last name KOCH and he pronounced it COOK. Not really relevant to tonite's basketball game, but I thought I would contribute early.

ISU had a fullback with the last name KOCH and he pronounced it COOK. Not really relevant to tonite's basketball game, but I thought I would contribute early.
It's because it's German. A native American English speaker seeing something spelt "koch" would be inclined to pronounce that either like "cock" or "cawsh", but the original German pronunciation is closer to something between "coke" and "cook".

Cockburn, to my knowledge, is pure English weirdness as far as it being == "coburn" for no apparent reason other than it being very common in British English to ignore inconvenient letters in a word in order to make it fewer syllables or otherwise quicker/easier to say. Like Folkestone == "fokstun" or Leicester == "lester".

It's because it's German. A native American English speaker seeing something spelt "koch" would be inclined to pronounce that either like "cock" or "cawsh", but the original German pronunciation is closer to something between "coke" and "cook".

Cockburn, to my knowledge, is pure English weirdness as far as it being == "coburn" for no apparent reason other than it being very common in British English to ignore inconvenient letters in a word in order to make it fewer syllables or otherwise quicker/easier to say. Like Folkestone == "fokstun" or Leicester == "lester".

The K in Koch is silent when speaking German.

Latest posts