***Official Iowa Hangs 120 On The Upper Western Illinois State CC (Macomb Campus) Bulldogs Game Thread***

True, but Mr. Davis and company consistently shown they could be an NCAA tourney team. Mr. Davis has an Elite 8 (actually has 2 Elite 8s when looking at his complete resume) and 2 Sweet 16s (and countless NCAA tourney appearances).

As good as this current team could be (and likely is) they still have to earn it on the court. That is why I think Mr. Davis should still be considered Iowa's last consistently good coach (it has been inconsistent sense then, before Tom certainly even greater things happened). Fran could certainly change that this year....but it is the only thing that worries me about this team.....he has not shown he can put it together for an entire year that as resulted in equally or surpassing Mr. Davis's greatest accomplishments.
His Boston College Elite Eight team in 1982 was dynamite to watch, especially in the pre shot clock, slow it down era. With Michael Adams and John Bagley in the backcourt they were a matchup nightmare. They gave Phi Slama Jama (Houston) all they could handle in the regional final before succumbing. And Davis had a hell of a coaching staff. Gary Williams, Kevin Mackey, and a former student manager/mascot turned grad assistant named Bruce Pearl.

True, but Mr. Davis and company consistently shown they could be an NCAA tourney team. Mr. Davis has an Elite 8 (actually has 2 Elite 8s when looking at his complete resume) and 2 Sweet 16s (and countless NCAA tourney appearances).

As good as this current team could be (and likely is) they still have to earn it on the court. That is why I think Mr. Davis should still be considered Iowa's last consistently good coach (it has been inconsistent sense then, before Tom certainly even greater things happened). Fran could certainly change that this year....but it is the only thing that worries me about this team.....he has not shown he can put it together for an entire year that as resulted in equally or surpassing Mr. Davis's greatest accomplishments (or Lute's, Miller's, etc).
That said, I think this team looks the most loaded since those early Mr. Davis teams. I think Iowa's second unit alone could make a run for a post-season tourney barring injuries. We find out soon enough with some gigantic pre-season games and a very challenging Big Ten season.

Do you see how quickly they blow right by Bohannon?
I have counted the blow by incidents by specifically watching him on D this game. There has been one in each half. One was in a transition. Tough spot. Do you know he broke another record on assists tonight? I think #5 all time. And he is right up at the top in 3’s. Just to be clear, our opponents point guards are not great. I just do not get the amount of time spent on his imperfections.

Latest posts