Not to be total Debbie downer but...

Hawkfnntn

Saw a stupid thing on where a ranking of returning BIG QBs was being done and guess where Petras was? Dead last. So that kinda sucks to think that a dude that might be a 3 yr starter is rated that poorly... (yet correctly) So here's to hoping we hear some good things coming out of spring ball as it gets going. That position has to improve and improve significantly.

Thanks for reminding us! :rolleyes: Not impossible that he can work on the footwork and many can quicken their drop and the foot speed. Petras certainly looks like he can quicken the feet a bit if he works on it correctly and if he can read and make decisions faster it could come together for him. If you do the work it can happen. It doesn't happen for some but for many the game slows down and it comes together for them. Let's hope it is gonna happen for him but just took longer.

Saw a stupid thing on where a ranking of returning BIG QBs was being done and guess where Petras was? Dead last. So that kinda sucks to think that a dude that might be a 3 yr starter is rated that poorly... (yet correctly) So here's to hoping we hear some good things coming out of spring ball as it gets going. That position has to improve and improve significantly.

Would you rather have Graham Mertz or Spencer Petras?

I have seen at least one pretty reliable source where Petras was middle of the pack. Who knows. We can only hope for some steady improvements and the usual, for most guys, hey, this my last go around so memories and legacy are much more important. He is, after all, a pretty nice young man who has been open and honest in his press interviews. And, effort has never been an issue. Team mates have seemed to go out of their way to support him. And he has been, after all, on the high end in wins.

Thanks for reminding us! :rolleyes: Not impossible that he can work on the footwork and many can quicken their drop and the foot speed. Petras certainly looks like he can quicken the feet a bit if he works on it correctly and if he can read and make decisions faster it could come together for him. If you do the work it can happen. It doesn't happen for some but for many the game slows down and it comes together for them. Let's hope it is gonna happen for him but just took longer.
Usually a QBs improvement can improve significantly between there 1st and 2nd yrs of starting. I'm not so confident that'll be the case for him between yrs 2 and 3. I suppose it's not impossible though. Depending how the Qb battle plays out that might be what we are all rooting for.

I have seen at least one pretty reliable source where Petras was middle of the pack. Who knows. We can only hope for some steady improvements and the usual, for most guys, hey, this my last go around so memories and legacy are much more important. He is, after all, a pretty nice young man who has been open and honest in his press interviews. And, effort has never been an issue. Team mates have seemed to go out of their way to support him. And he has been, after all, on the high end in wins.
Dude is a GREAT guy from everything I've ever seen and read on him too. Teammates and coaches say everything you want to hear about him. The only things I'm critical of with him are on the field. It'd be a hell of a story if he did have a great year. None of us would be rooting against that. I'm just not sure what to expect based on what he's done so far

I have posted before that if the running game can get fixed (and with a lot of experience on the line and downhill RBs I think it can), Petras will look better. He is decent in play action and good when in rythym. I am not expecting a huge jump, but I am expecting him to be better. That is not much of an expectation.

I hope Labas gets some meaningful snaps. Put some running packages together for him. Get creative, Brian.

He may not be the starter but I agree with you and have said there have to be some hip flexor and other exercises he can do to quicken his first two steps.

I have seen the replay of his QB draw for a TD against Indiana last year. His first step or two are just not that explosive with the acceleration but it was a 7 yard td run from shotgun so by the time he took two steps I thought he was moving fast enough. But we have all seen those runners who seem to go from zero to full speed in one stride like a great base stealer.

I have posted before that if the running game can get fixed (and with a lot of experience on the line and downhill RBs I think it can), Petras will look better. He is decent in play action and good when in rythym. I am not expecting a huge jump, but I am expecting him to be better. That is not much of an expectation.

I hope Labas gets some meaningful snaps. Put some running packages together for him. Get creative, Brian.

I agree with you and would even say Petras gets into a rhythm and he can look very good, not great, but throwing fast balls thru the defense on target.

I would say if he can increase his consistency to being above avg most of the time and if he has another second of pass protection then he will succeed.