Noah Hutchins

I posted previously that I think Hutchins is at least on-par with Carton, and is a real nice find on the part of the staff. I really like his skill set.

That said, this video actually makes me wonder about his personality. It's pure speculation, but any player that gets off showing off for a crowd has prima donna potential. You want a little cockiness and edge in your athletes, but there's a line that can be crossed.

That said, this video actually makes me wonder about his personality. It's pure speculation, but any player that gets off showing off for a crowd has prima donna potential. You want a little cockiness and edge in your athletes, but there's a line that can be crossed.
tumblr_m2c6uvaTNV1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

I posted previously that I think Hutchins is at least on-par with Carton, and is a real nice find on the part of the staff. I really like his skill set.

it also shows supreme confidence. it's something that you'd have to let play out or have way more access to the kid. i would point out that "cockiness" does not come through in his videos. Very high confidence does and I damn sure want that in my pg. Carton has it. watch his videos closely and you will see a huge amount of confidence. not cockiness, but confidence. I don't see either as prima donna. I would also say that Hutchins needs to try and open more eyes on the recruiting trail. carton doesn't.

I see what your getting at. I just can't say I know enough about him to make any sort of judgment there. I mean all these kids make productions of themselves be it like that or on their signing days or just asking a girl to prom. Look at it this way. Coach K at Duke used to avoid the one and done kids with a passion till he realized that he was going to be left in the dust if he kept doing that. I think kids doing those sort of things isn't how I'd raise my own to be but it's not the worst thing ever

I see what your getting at. I just can't say I know enough about him to make any sort of judgment there. I mean all these kids make productions of themselves be it like that or on their signing days or just asking a girl to prom. Look at it this way. Coach K at Duke used to avoid the one and done kids with a passion till he realized that he was going to be left in the dust if he kept doing that. I think kids doing those sort of things isn't how I'd raise my own to be but it's not the worst thing ever

if we had the technology 35 years ago that's available today AND we could do that kind of thing...yeah, it's be on the internet. I ain't going to claim no moral high ground on this one. :) I mean, it's pretty damn cool. Now, if he included in his tweet "yeah, i'm a mf'ing bad*ss so everyone better shut up and take notice." yeah, the would be in that theme.

it also shows supreme confidence. it's something that you'd have to let play out or have way more access to the kid. i would point out that "cockiness" does not come through in his videos. Very high confidence does and I damn sure want that in my pg. Carton has it. watch his videos closely and you will see a huge amount of confidence. not cockiness, but confidence. I don't see either as prima donna. I would also say that Hutchins needs to try and open more eyes on the recruiting trail. carton doesn't.
Absolutely, you want that confidence and even a little bit of "an air," especially at the PG position, or, even the QB position in football. The challenge is finding that characteristic in someone who is still grounded and a good leader.

Hutchins may not fit the prima donna stereotype at all, it's just that putting on this kind of self-promotional show represents a bit of a red flag. Some of that is simply the nature of today's selfie and video promo world. I'm sure many of the old school coaches find it a bitter pill to swallow, but that's the reality.

It's a fine line, for sure. I read an article recently that discussed the challenges recruiting and coaching today's athletes. It was an interesting read and focused on football, but is easily applicable to any sport. Interestingly, it wasn't necessarily critical, more of an analysis of the need to adapt. One coach actually thought the change in communication styles was a benefit. On a side note, Dez King is in one of the pictures.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...otball-struggles-to-bridge-the-generation-gap

Last edited:
Absolutely, you want that confidence and even a little bit of "an air," especially at the PG position, or, even the QB position in football. The challenge is finding that characteristic in someone who is still grounded and a good leader.

Hutchins may not fit the prima donna stereotype at all, it's just that putting on this kind of self-promotional show represents a bit of a red flag. Some of that is simply the nature of today's selfie and video promo world. I'm sure many of the old school coaches find it a bitter pill to swallow, but that's the reality.

i really do get you sentiment. but i think (my opinion) that hutchins is trying to increase his recruiting circle. and I think Fran needs to hurry up on this one, unless he has some "other" unknown who's even better than hutchins ready to commit. which i doubt.

i really do get you sentiment. but i think (my opinion) that hutchins is trying to increase his recruiting circle. and I think Fran needs to hurry up on this one, unless he has some "other" unknown who's even better than hutchins ready to commit. which i doubt.
I'm sure that's part of it. I think the challenge for these athletes is to promote without coming off as self-centered or overly cocky.

Paradoxically, going too far can be a turn off for programs and your options could actually decrease. It's the same in the business world - you want to have a nice, impressive resume, but if you go overboard, it elicits a chuckle and promptly gets tossed.

I'm sure that's part of it. I think the challenge for these athletes is to promote without coming off as self-centered or overly cocky.

Paradoxically, going too far can be a turn off for programs and your options could actually decrease. It's the same in the business world - you want to have a nice, impressive resume, but if you go overboard, it elicits a chuckle and promptly gets tossed.

you're right. the lack of life's experiences that can help you develop the right amount of humility can cause you problems.

I’m getting tired of waiting for Carton’s rejection - sign Noah up.

i think an open period is starting in the next week or so. i hoping we offer noah then. i'm guessing fran needs to show he's clawing for carton, even though, we have no shot. in-state 5* pg. can't be the one to walk away.

Latest posts