No surprise to see Alfredo Parrish back in the mix

I'm guessing he'll come off looking snazzier than DJK's previous representation.

1209_SPO_DJKINITIAL01WEBREZ.jpg

In the end, all Alfredo is going to try to do is plea bargain it down to a suspended sentence/probation. DJK is already on record as waiving his Miranda rights and signing off on a statement admitting guilt to certain things. The only thing Alfredo can do at this point is try to keep DJK out of jail.

I though this was a recruit when I saw the thread. DJKs other lawyer looks like Al Davis's grandson.

I doubt it. Maybe if the family is fairly poor, but I've always had the impression that the Koulianoses are pretty well off. My guess is it'll cost them a pretty penny.

Could be the case. I know he has taken several former athletes' cases pro bono so I assumed he probably did for PP and DJK.

Could be the case. I know he has taken several former athletes' cases pro bono so I assumed he probably did for PP and DJK.

You sure that ain't a violation of some NCAA illegal benefits rule? Seems to me like there are a lot better causes to take on pro bono than an athlete getting nailed for a crime who has then admitted to doing the crime.

You sure that ain't a violation of some NCAA illegal benefits rule? Seems to me like there are a lot better causes to take on pro bono than an athlete getting nailed for a crime who has then admitted to doing the crime.

No kidding.

I know Alfredo. He's doing this for one reason: Publicity. He'll plea it down. Really, as you're well aware, there isn't much leeway here given DJK's admissions.

Oh, and also because he'll get paid. DJK's family ain't poor.

A lot of attorneys will take cases pro bono or at a very discounted rate that involve a high profile client. It's a resume builder. Not saying that is the case here, but it does happen frequently. I believe Mark Geragos took Scott Peterson's case pro bono or very cheaply.

Geragos contributed for a network before he took the case and said it was unwinnable. With DJK, it's a big name athlete that will bring publicity regardless if it is just a plea bargain.

Last edited:

Probably if he was a NCAA Football player but basically his career and elligibilty are over. You can't violate a rule that doen't pertain to you.

No kidding.

I know Alfredo. He's doing this for one reason: Publicity. He'll plea it down. Really, as you're well aware, there isn't much leeway here given DJK's admissions.

Oh, and also because he'll get paid. DJK's family ain't poor.

Of course he's doing it for publicity. The mistake high profile criminals make is to hire a "great defense attorney" when the evidence is completely stacked against them and they are going to have to plea. You ALWAYS hire someone local who golfs and goes drinking with the people in the County Attorney's office who can get you a good deal, if they fail to secure a good deal and you have to go trial, then you hire someone like Parrish. If I worked for the County Attorney, I would play hardball with Parrish because I would know (a) I would rarely have to deal with him again, (b) he ain't cheap so his threats of trial (especially with these facts) would be pretty outrageous and an additional punishment to the accused and (c) I would love to make a name for myself by rolling one of the most popular criminal defense attorneys in the state if he did take it to trial (only way DJK gets off is with a successful motion to suppress, not through a smooth talking trial lawyer). I'd take that guy who showed up wearing a JCPenney coat and looking like he killed a bottle of Popov the prior night long before I'd hire Alfredo in this case. Bad move DJK.

Of course he's doing it for publicity. The mistake high profile criminals make is to hire a "great defense attorney" when the evidence is completely stacked against them and they are going to have to plea. You ALWAYS hire someone local who golfs and goes drinking with the people in the County Attorney's office who can get you a good deal, if they fail to secure a good deal and you have to go trial, then you hire someone like Parrish. If I worked for the County Attorney, I would play hardball with Parrish because I would know (a) I would rarely have to deal with him again, (b) he ain't cheap so his threats of trial (especially with these facts) would be pretty outrageous and an additional punishment to the accused and (c) I would love to make a name for myself by rolling one of the most popular criminal defense attorneys in the state if he did take it to trial (only way DJK gets off is with a successful motion to suppress, not through a smooth talking trial lawyer). I'd take that guy who showed up wearing a JCPenney coat and looking like he killed a bottle of Popov the prior night long before I'd hire Alfredo in this case. Bad move DJK.

You do that. I will take success over buddy buddy. What if the prosecuter wants to run for a public office or a promotion? What better way to win that office then humiliating your "friend" who would do the same thing to you in this situation, all while taking a high profile case. You believe buddy buddy all you want, but attorneys are attorneys and they will do whatever they need to to win and step on anyones back to do it. So DJK made the Right move.

A lot of attorneys will take cases pro bono or at a very discounted rate that involve a high profile client. It's a resume builder. Not saying that is the case here, but it does happen frequently. I believe Mark Geragos took Scott Peterson's case pro bono or very cheaply.

Geragos contributed for a network before he took the case and said it was unwinnable. With DJK, it's a big name athlete that will bring publicity regardless if it is just a plea bargain.

Yeah and Scott Peterson was indigent and facing the death penalty. DJK's probably looking at a very minimal amount of jail time, community service, probation and is probably going to be making close to 7 figures in the League in a few months. One of those is truly in the spirit of providing pro bono legal services and one isn't. People at my shop represent the homeless, victims of domestic violence, people on death row, people with 6 figures of medical bills due to an illness, 501(c)(3)s that feed people, etc. -- people who are actually broke and dealing with serious or life threatening issues.

You do that. I will take success over buddy buddy. What if the prosecuter wants to run for a public office or a promotion? What better way to win that office then humiliating your "friend" who would do the same thing to you in this situation, all while taking a high profile case. You believe buddy buddy all you want, but attorneys are attorneys and they will do whatever they need to to win and step on anyones back to do it. So DJK made the Right move.

What you fail to grasp is that the best springboard to higher office or whatever is to roll Alfredo Parrish in a trial, thus the prosecutor will say two things (i) I'm going to make an example out of DJK and (ii) I want the opportunity for this to go trial so I can crush Alfredo Parrish.

The defense lawyer can only do so much with those facts. I would take any one of my friends who are a few years removed from LS who prosecute misdemeanors and the State's facts in this case over OJ's dream team, plus Alfredo Parrish, plus half the faculty at Harvard Law with DJK's facts in this case. DJK has no defense on the facts. The only defense the guy can mount is that the search warrant was bad, that he was coerced into confessing, etc. If I'm the prosecutor, I suddenly feel like you've brought a Howitzer to a sparring session. It's fine to bring a Howitzer, but you better make damn sure you actually have the leverage to use the thing. Unfortunately, DJK has no leverage.

Yeah and Scott Peterson was indigent and facing the death penalty. DJK's probably looking at a very minimal amount of jail time, community service, probation and is probably going to be making close to 7 figures in the League in a few months. One of those is truly in the spirit of providing pro bono legal services and one isn't. People at my shop represent the homeless, victims of domestic violence, people on death row, people with 6 figures of medical bills due to an illness, 501(c)(3)s that feed people, etc. -- people who are actually broke and dealing with serious or life threatening issues.

I would bet my life savings Geragos' motives for taking that case had nothing to do with the financial well-being of Peterson even if he said to the contrary.

Latest posts