New Tradition

I think this is a great idea. On a side note, am I the only one who doesn't care for Hawkeye Heaven? The account has some clever tweets but overall I think some of the content is a little different.

IMHO, I like the idea.

Keeping with the children's hospital theme, I would suggest the wave be done in conjunction with the games' already "Kid Captain" (KC) introduction and do right before the coin toss so they seem to be a simultaneous event. After the KC introduction and a short wave explanation, the Kid Captain would lead the wave to the hospital along with the former Hawk honorary game captain.

This would also increase the chances of the tradition being covered by TV when done in conjunction with the coin toss.

There, it didn't take a marketing genius to roll the wave out......keep it simple and don't overthink it.

IMHO, I like the idea.

Keeping with the children's hospital theme, I would suggest the wave be done in conjunction with the games' already "Kid Captain" (KC) introduction and do right before the coin toss so they seem to be a simultaneous event. After the KC introduction and a short wave explanation, the Kid Captain would lead the wave to the hospital along with the former Hawk honorary game captain.

This would also increase the chances of the tradition being covered by TV when done in conjunction with the coin toss.

There, it didn't take a marketing genius to roll the wave out......keep it simple and don't overthink it.
Love your idea. Getting it to be on TV and talked about is probably the marketing folks goal. Having it happen between quarters makes it kind of an in game deal. Pre game for whatever reasons aren't shown as much on TV. Unless there's a real special story TV never shows the kid captains you have to be at the game to get to see and feel that emotion when they go out to midfield.

IMHO, I like the idea.

Yeah, you are probably right. Keep it simple and just get it done. And don't worry about the TV. Make it real for the kids. The TV can show a replay whenever it fits.

This is a great idea, right up until the university tells me to stop what I am doing and wave. As long as it comes from the fans...great idea. I'm a cynic, but the whole corporate Heroes Trophy/Cy-Hawk Trophy wear black in this section, gold in that section, stop what you are doing while we present the Pioneer Hybred/Krause Family fan of the game has worn me down. Even the f'ing National Anthem is sponsored. I can see this turning into; "Ladies and gentlemen direct your attention to the east side of Historic Kinnick Stadium. on up to the Stead Family Children's Hospital... join your sponsor Blue Cross/ Blue Shield in waving to the children". Now on to the Panchero's pump you up video. And you know, right now there is some genius in the U of I marketing department trying to figure out how to sell advertising for this.

Rant over. Hope it happens and the athletic department stays out of it. I came to watch the game. Grumpy old fart that I am.

Last edited:
This is a great idea, right up until the university tells me to stop what I am doing and wave. As long as it comes from the fans...great idea. I'm a cynic, but the whole corporate Heroes Trophy/Cy-Hawk Trophy wear black in this section, gold in that section, stop what you are doing while we present the Pioneer Hybred/Krause Family fan of the game has worn me down. Even the f'ing National Anthem is sponsored. I can see this turning into; "Ladies and gentlemen direct your attention to the east side of Historic Kinnick Stadium. on up to the Stead Family Children's Hospital... join your sponsor Blue Cross/ Blue Shield in waving to the children". Now on to the Panchero's pump you up video. And you know, right now there is some genius in the U of I marketing department trying to figure out how to sell advertising for this.

Rant over. Hope it happens and the athletic department stays out of it. I came to watch the game. Grumpy old fart that I am.
A little grumpy, yes. But I hear you.

This is why it would have to be cued by a song. No PA announcer, no corporate sponsors, no list of names. Just a song blasted through the stadium to signal it is time to turn to the children and wave. Maybe a hint on the video boards: Something like TURN AND WAVE.

Yeah that crap I could sure do without... But as far as I can tell where I first heard about it it was from other fans. But that don't mean the corporate hacks wouldn't pounce when the opportunity fully comes up.

Nailed it.

Doing something like this would (intentionally or not) end up being about the TV exposure and a "look at our cool tradition thingy," not about a genuine concern for sick kids.

Just the fact that we're having a 2 page discussion on the who/what/when/where/hows shows that it'd be a staged, "look at me" thing. If it happened spontaneously and just became a thing people did over time then I guess it'd be okay, but you can't just decide to invent traditions. If you do that it's called a contrivance.

The owners of the Cubs didn't get together in a board room and just up and decide to sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" in the 7th inning stretch because it would be a cool thing to do and get a lot of attention, it just happened on its own and became tradition. Same thing with Jump Around in Wisconsin. It wasn't planned out because it'd be cool; it just happened on its own which, as dumb as it is, makes it their thing.

Personally I don't want the rest of the country thinking we're more cheesy than we already are; I'm there to watch football and our players are there to play football.

Imagine how god awfully cringy it would be if the Hawks were getting beat at home by Upper Southwest Poughkeepsie State and our players and coaches all have to stop and wave at the kids across the street. Play ball.

Last edited:
And the people in the east stands can just wave or shake the hand of the person next to them like in Church. Cause they can't see the hospital and the hospital cant see them. And I would bet if you go up in that building the people look like ants down there and could not see what anyone is doing. On the football field sure maybe you can tell somewhat what is going on but what people in the stands are doing I highly doubt it.

Nailed it.

Doing something like this would (intentionally or not) end up being about the TV exposure and a "look at our cool tradition thingy," not about a genuine concern for sick kids.

Just the fact that we're having a 2 page discussion on the who/what/when/where/hows shows that it'd be a staged, "look at me" thing. If it happened spontaneously and just became a thing people did over time then I guess it'd be okay, but you can't just decide to invent traditions. If you do that it's called a contrivance.

The owners of the Cubs didn't get together in a board room and just up and decide to sing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" in the 7th inning stretch because it would be a cool thing to do and get a lot of attention, it just happened on its own and became tradition. Same thing with Jump Around in Wisconsin. It wasn't planned out because it'd be cool; it just happened in its own which, as dumb as it is, makes it their thing.

Personally I don't want the rest of the country thinking we're more cheesy than we already are; I'm there to watch football and our players are there to play football.

Imagine how god awfully cringy it would be if the Hawks were getting beat at home by Upper Southwest Poughkeepsie State and our players and coaches all have to stop and wave at the kids across the street. Play ball.

^^This^^

The more I think about this idea, the more it starts to feel patronizing. Oh lets turn and wave at the poor little sick kids. We are such good people. Now we can feel good about ourselves, we did our good deed for the day. Ugh! Can't we just jump around instead?

SIGH. I think I may be a terrible person.

The more I think about this idea, the more it starts to feel patronizing. Oh lets turn and wave at the poor little sick kids. We are such good people. Now we can feel good about ourselves, we did our good deed for the day. Ugh! Can't we just jump around instead?

the more I think about it, the more I think it should happen before the game in conjunction with the Kid's Captain introduction.

I'm also surprised somebody hasn't chimed in with requisite "You just want sick kids to die" in response to some of the alternate suggestions.

We could model the whole thing after the "Krusty Telethon for Motion-Sick Children". That should make us all feel better...about ourselves, anyway.

Those of you that have liked the Hawkeye Heaven page on FB may already be well aware of this idea. It's been thrown out there that after the end of the 1st quarter for everyone in the stands (players & coaches too I hope) will all wave at the kids in the childrens hospital across the street. There are several rooms that have a view of the stadium. I think it'd be extremely awesome. Iowa does so much for kids and that hospital I don't see why they wouldn't. This would be a unique thing to Iowa and we all know those kids and their folks would appreciate it. I say spread the word and make it happen game 1 this year.
Sounds good, I'm all for it!

If it were to become some sponsored deal and corporate big wigs were to get involved than I'd not be a fan of it. I'm ok with something being contrived if it's truly a good thing. It should also be the players and coaches being involved too not just the fans. That's who the kids/folks would care more about doing it obviously. The stadium full of fans doing it would be gravy.

It should also be the players and coaches being involved too not just the fans.
Absolutely a terrible idea.

Fantastically bad.

If you think for a second it's as good idea for BF or Norm Parker to go into the sideline huddle between quarters and do the following...

"OK, hold up guys, come on in, come on in...we gotta get together here and do this wave thing for the hospital. Just wait for the music to come on and we're supposed wave up there. Everybody get over here. GUYS!!! Come on...We gotta hurry up and get this wave thing done. HEY!!! Somebody tell the receivers to get their asses over here. And tell Reese he's gotta hurry up talking to AJ."
"Are we done? No, I don't know how long this goes, guys. Kirk, are we good? LeVar, we're good to go, right?
"OK, let's go guys...huddle up...now where the hell were we?"

...then you are completely f'n loony toons. Like ISU fan loony tunes. Because that's exactly how it would go. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Big 10 players and coaches don't give two shits about anything other than the game at hand for those 3 hours. Any staged wave across the street would just be a distraction that they don't want to mess with while they're trying to focus on a football game. We can kid ourselves all we want that players and coaches give a shit, but they don't...I don't know how else to say it. Wave if you want, but keep the team out of it. Hawk fans want wins, leave the pool parties and Dilly Bars to the Iowa States and Minnesotas of the world.

Next time you're in Kinnick look across the stadium to your mirror image seat. Tell me if you can see that guy waving at you, and then tell me if you think a kid three times as far away and a hundred feet in the air could see a coach waving at them down on the field.

You know what James Franklin and Urban Meyer are going to be doing after the 1st quarter? They're going to be coaching their football players on what's working and what isn't, and how to stomp a hole in our asses, and we better be doing the same.

Last edited:
Absolutely a terrible idea.

Fantastically bad.

If you think for a second it's as good idea for BF or Norm Parker to go into the sideline huddle between quarters and do the following...

"OK, hold up guys, come on in, come on in...we gotta get together here and do this wave thing for the hospital. Just wait for the music to come on and we're supposed wave up there. Everybody get over here. GUYS!!! Come on...We gotta hurry up and get this wave thing done. HEY!!! Somebody tell the receivers to get their asses over here. And tell Reese he's gotta hurry up talking to AJ."
"Are we done? No, I don't know how long this goes, guys. Kirk, are we good? LeVar, we're good to go, right?
"OK, let's go guys...huddle up...now where the hell were we?"

...then you are completely f'n loony toons. Like ISU fan loony tunes. Because that's exactly how it would go. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Big 10 players and coaches don't give two shits about anything other than the game at hand for those 3 hours. Nada. Any staged wave across the street would just be a disingenuous distraction that they don't want to mess with while they're trying to focus on a football game. We could kid ourselves all we want that those players and coaches do in fact give a shit, but they don't. I don't know how else to say it. Wave if you want yourself, but keep the team out of it. Hawk fans want wins, leave the pool parties and Dilly Bars to the Iowa States and Minnesotas of the world.

Next time you're in Kinnick look across the stadium to your mirror image seat. Tell me if you can see that guy waving at you, and then tell me if you think a kid three times as far away and a hundred feet in the air could see a coach waving at them down on the field.

You know what James Franklin and Urban Meyer are going to be doing after the 1st quarter? They're going to be coaching their football players on what's working and what isn't, and how to stomp a hole in our asses, and we need to be doing the same.
Look I’ll give you this. If the players/coaches are to be involved, doing it prior to kickoff is best if you were to want to make a huge deal of it. If it’s to be between quarters than just a quick turn and wave is all that they’d have to do. They wouldn’t have to stay involved all 3 mins if they were get a song involved with fans or whatever. But look at how the Wisconsin players are in on their jump around deal. They stay pretty engaged with that and the fans during it. That’s a couple of mins at the least right? I think your blowing this up into something more than it is. I suppose you don’t like the Tiger Hawk at midfield either…

Look I’ll give you this. If the players/coaches are to be involved, doing it prior to kickoff is best if you were to want to make a huge deal of it. If it’s to be between quarters than just a quick turn and wave is all that they’d have to do. They wouldn’t have to stay involved all 3 mins if they were get a song involved with fans or whatever. But look at how the Wisconsin players are in on their jump around deal. They stay pretty engaged with that and the fans during it. That’s a couple of mins at the least right? I think your blowing this up into something more than it is. I suppose you don’t like the Tiger Hawk at midfield either…
I honestly don't care if fans or whoever want to do it, but you can't make it a disruption for players/coaches in a game. I don't know why I'm even arguing the point because 1) there's no way in hell the team would do something like that during a game, and 2) no one could see it from the hospital anyway. So in that respect, you win because it's a moot point. It was just so far out in left field I thought I'd comment.

And I love the Tigerhawk.

I honestly don't care if fans or whoever want to do it, but you can't make it a disruption for players/coaches in a game. I don't know why I'm even arguing the point because 1) there's no way in hell the team would do something like that during a game, and 2) no one could see it from the hospital anyway. So in that respect, you win because it's a moot point. It was just so far out in left field I thought I'd comment.

And I love the Tigerhawk.
It wouldn't be a disruption to the players... If you think a 10-15 second gesture is a disruption that would give the other team a huge advantage then ok. But you know what else it might be instead? It might just be a motivational boost that when the players each time they were to do it would know that they are being looked at as heros to those kids up there....
I'm only speaking for myself here but when I was young I looked at Iowa football players as the celebrities A list actors and Michael Jordan are looked at as. I bet some of those kids up there just might as well...
Maybe to meet you halfway if they were to do it coming out after halftime... I could get down with that as well.

Latest posts