New coaches bring less complacency?

clim3

this new group of young coaches might just be what our team needs. I'm not a Kirk hater but it does seem he and the staff got "comfortable " and only seemed to produce when that comfort was disrupted by the fan base the last several years. With Brian and the other young coaches looking to cement their futures maybe we can recruit and game plan more aggressively. My hope is the new crop brings an edge that we haven't seen for some time. Davis and his core seemed very comfortable. I. Don't expect a great season this year as I see 6-8 wins, but I hope we play to win instead of playing "not to lose". Recruit hard and coach hard........maybe we can get some swagger back. Time will tell.....

Any time Iowa has had a solid offensive line coming back and a good nucleus on defense...there is potential upside to the season. We need someone to step up at WR, IMO, otherwise it squeezes everything in the box. I think Wadley gives you some really, really interesting match ups. If I was Iowa, I'd try and isolate him on a LB all day long and use him more in the passing game. He should get 6-7 passes a game...one guy has absolutely no shot a Wadley in space.

I'm hoping BF and KOK realize they don't have to wait until third down to get the ball to Wadley in the passing game.

Less complacency....

And more unpredictability

Young ambitious energetic coaches can also be unfocussed and more likely to cross a line somewhere. More willing to try new things, but many new things end up failing.

But all in all, players like when you try new things. The coaches have mire energy and the players feed off that.

Any time Iowa has had a solid offensive line coming back and a good nucleus on defense...there is potential upside to the season. We need someone to step up at WR, IMO, otherwise it squeezes everything in the box. I think Wadley gives you some really, really interesting match ups. If I was Iowa, I'd try and isolate him on a LB all day long and use him more in the passing game. He should get 6-7 passes a game...one guy has absolutely no shot a Wadley in space.

I'm hoping BF and KOK realize they don't have to wait until third down to get the ball to Wadley in the passing game.

Lots of interesting possibilities... but I'm wary of putting all the eggs in the Wadley basket. No doubt he's our most dynamic offensive threat... but we need to spread the ball around a bit lest he be neutralized. I share your optimism that the new offensive brain trust will come up with some good stuff.

Lots of interesting possibilities... but I'm wary of putting all the eggs in the Wadley basket. No doubt he's our most dynamic offensive threat... but we need to spread the ball around a bit lest he be neutralized. I share your optimism that the new offensive brain trust will come up with some good stuff.

I'm excited to see what Toren and Toks can do as they both have a lot of talent. I think we will be able to keep Wadley fresh while still feeding him plenty.

Every team we play will put all emphasis on stopping Wadley until/unless we show some reason to stop. He is a stud, but even if we move him around and are "multiple", without finding/using other weapons...it concerns me.

The offense did not look promising in the spring game. A healthy MVB is a must this season. Without Meerkat defenses will stack the box all game and Wadley will probably not make it through the season healthy. If Brandon Smith is everything I hope he is we could have 2 competent outside WR's. It has been awhile since we have seen that.

I think the coaching staff has accomplished enough already. Their resumes are already complete. They don't need to prove anything to anyone anymore. This is Iowa Football.

The offense did not look promising in the spring game. A healthy MVB is a must this season. Without Meerkat defenses will stack the box all game and Wadley will probably not make it through the season healthy. If Brandon Smith is everything I hope he is we could have 2 competent outside WR's. It has been awhile since we have seen that.
The offense has never looked remotely promising in the spring game. Did you even watch it in 2015? Ferentz even says they look like crap every year. The spring game is nothing more than a fun kid event to hold people over till fall. It's vanilla offense, either A gap runs or play action rolling out beyond the hashes trying not to get sacked. And I don't know how you can say the offense didn't look promising when starters either didn't play or played just a few snaps total. LTG.

The offense has never looked remotely promising in the spring game. Did you even watch it in 2015? Ferentz even says they look like crap every year. The spring game is nothing more than a fun kid event to hold people over till fall. It's vanilla offense, either A gap runs or play action rolling out beyond the hashes trying not to get sacked. And I don't know how you can say the offense didn't look promising when starters either didn't play or played just a few snaps total. LTG.

I have watched every spring game for the last 6 years. No we don't ever look great, but rarely have we looked quite as hapless. In 2015 like you mentioned the QB play looked very promising. This year it did not. Your comments appear to me as you're saying the worse we look offensively the more confident of success you are.

I have watched every spring game for the last 6 years. No we don't ever look great, but rarely have we looked quite as hapless. In 2015 like you mentioned the QB play looked very promising. This year it did not. Your comments appear to me as you're saying the worse we look offensively the more confident of success you are.
No. What I'm saying is what I said in my first post.

1. The offense looks terrible every year in the spring.

2. Trying to even partially gauge the team's performance based on the spring game is like pissing in the wind. You can't do it without looking dumb. It's not the starting set, they run a tiny playbook, and they don't focus much on red zone play, 2:00 drills, and clock management which is how most games that aren't blowouts are won and lost. It's a fun walk through practice that's great for kids. That's it.

I'm all for it because it's free and the only time some families can afford to see football at Kinnick, but it's not a performance indicator at all.

No. What I'm saying is what I said in my first post.

1. The offense looks terrible every year in the spring.

2. Trying to even partially gauge the team's performance based on the spring game is like pissing in the wind. You can't do it without looking dumb. It's not the starting set, they run a tiny playbook, and they don't focus much on red zone play, 2:00 drills, and clock management which is how most games that aren't blowouts are won and lost. It's a fun walk through practice that's great for kids. That's it.

I'm all for it because it's free and the only time some families can afford to see football at Kinnick, but it's not a performance indicator at all.

You are overlooking the fact that a lot of preseason prognostications are based on spring games. They will of course be amended come summer camps, but you are wrong that they are not used as a performance indicator.