NET Rankings (with updates)

ssckelley

It's time we start paying attention to this. Iowa is 17 games into the season with 14 games left to play, this ranking starts to matter. Iowa is currently ranked 19th which has them solidly in the tournament at this point.

Iowa has no Quad 1 wins yet, the win over Indiana is the closest but they are ranked 34th (need to be top 30 for home wins). They are 0-4 against Quad 1 opponents but, OTOH, they are 4-0 against Quad 2.

Upcoming schedule:

January 19th @ Rutgers - Quad 2 (#116)
January 22nd PSU - Quad 3 (#88)
January 27th Purdue - Quad 1 (#7)
January 31st @PSU - Quad 2 (#88)

FWIW the RPI has Iowa ranked 40th but I don't know how much the committee even looks at RPI anymore if at all.Capture.PNG

Last edited:
It's time we start paying attention to this. Iowa is 17 games into the season with 14 games left to play, this ranking starts to matter. Iowa is currently ranked 19th which has them solidly in the tournament at this point.

Iowa has no Quad 1 wins yet, the win over Indiana is the closest but they are ranked 34th (need to be top 30 for home wins). They are 0-4 against Quad 1 opponents but, OTOH, they are 4-0 against Quad 2.

Upcoming schedule:

January 19th @ Rutgers - Quad 2 (#116)
January 22nd PSU - Quad 3 (#88)
January 27th Purdue - Quad 1 (#7)
January 31st @PSU - Quad 2 (#88)

FWIW the RPI has Iowa ranked 40th but I don't know how much the committee even looks at RPI anymore if at all.

RPI is dead. If you look at the NCAA tourney seeding since they rolled out NET, at least for the top 8 seeds it hews pretty close to the NET ranking. I've seen some negativity around this Iowa team but I don't get it - haven't lost to anybody bad, great NET, outstanding legacy player in Keegan, and barring a meltdown will be in the tourney after losing a ton of talent after last year. It's a good team, it's not a great team, but few are.

RPI is dead. If you look at the NCAA tourney seeding since they rolled out NET, at least for the top 8 seeds it hews pretty close to the NET ranking. I've seen some negativity around this Iowa team but I don't get it - haven't lost to anybody bad, great NET, outstanding legacy player in Keegan, and barring a meltdown will be in the tourney after losing a ton of talent after last year. It's a good team, it's not a great team, but few are.

I actually think this team is pretty exciting to watch. They are more athletic and turn teams over. The Murray brothers are just athletic freaks. I can't waif for a game where they are both on at the same time and scoring over 20 and seeing what the opposing team tries to do. It might not happen all too often, but I think it's gunna happen at some point.

The Murray brothers are just athletic freaks. I can't waif for a game where they are both on at the same time and scoring over 20 and seeing what the opposing team tries to do. It might not happen all too often, but I think it's gunna happen at some point.
You know what I think? I think if Keegan ever gets in foul trouble, at the next timeout when players are huddled around they should switch jerseys and shoes. There ya have it. Keegan now gets 10 fouls per game.

You know what I think? I think if Keegan ever gets in foul trouble, at the next timeout when players are huddled around they should switch jerseys and shoes. There ya have it. Keegan now gets 10 fouls per game.
That would be a tough sell as Keegan is predominantly R handed and Kris is left.

Someone in the Indiana site in a thread seriously questioned if it was possible that the two switched jersey's at half. I wished I was set up in their site as I would have responded that Kris is a lefty.

That would be a tough sell as Keegan is predominantly R handed and Kris is left.

Someone in the Indiana site in a thread seriously questioned if it was possible that the two switched jersey's at half. I wished I was set up in their site as I would have responded that Kris is a lefty.
$10 says in the heat of the game no officials or enemy team personnel catch on.

$10 says in the heat of the game no officials or enemy team personnel catch on.

Oh the coach and team definitely would. When you scheme for a team or opposing players, you know exactly who is R or L handed. Hell, we did that in high school! Now fans, yea I agree with ya.

Last edited:
The loss dropped Iowa 6 spots to #25, wasn't a huge set back.

Next up is PSU on Saturday and their NET ranking is 85 which makes it a Quad 3 game. Pretty much HAVE to win the next one, a win doesn't do much for Iowa but a loss would really hurt.

capture.jpg

I've thought about that. Even a DNA might not work!

As expected beating Penn State did not move the needle much, Iowa moved up 2 spots to #23 but that's mostly because teams above them dropped (like Iowa State). Iowa will have a huge opportunity to land a quad 1 win with Purdue (#8) coming to Carver on Thursday.

capture.jpg

Oh, and start wearing Covid masks....that'll hide em even better.

I have watched them both play enough that I can tell them apart even without numbers. Parents and teachers can usually tell identicals apart as there are always mannerism differences. Kris lopes when he run and his shoulders are more hunched. Keegan is more fluid in everything he does. But the lefty righty thing would kill this plan after the first shot was taken. Plus, the way Kris is playing, I want him out there too!

Last nights loss didn't move the needle much. Iowa is ranked 22nd even though they are now 0-5 against quad 1 opponents.

Next up is at PSU on Monday, it's tough to be a team twice with both games only 9 days apart. It's a win they really need.

capture.jpg

Would appear based on today's NET rankings that Iowa's chances for a Quad 1 win would be with these remaining games:

OSU/away, MI/away, MSU/home, and IL/away

..........if I interpret Quad definitions correctly.

I appreciate these NET reports as well. I am pretty sure that both the Indiana and the Virginia games went to Q1 wins over the weekend. So, now Iowa has 2 at the current.

Latest posts