Nebby tried to get a fill in non-conf opponent for Saturday then...

uihawk82

The Big Ten said no. Reporting shows that Nebby had already talked to Tenn-Chat to see if they would play.

So Nebby already wanting to change the agreed upon rules, they dont want to miss a home game and I am not sure if they are losing revenue because of Wisky not being able to play.

Why does Nebby seem to always want to play by their own rules and make noise when they are pretty lame in the league?

Interesting read on Yahoo: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nebraskas-messy-marriage-with-big-ten-getting-uglier-184855339.html

Personally I would hate seeing Nebraska leave the B10 as I like having a winnable game against a border state. But there is no denying the Nebraska fit into the B10 has been an odd one and it all started when Nebraska immediately lost their membership to the AAU soon after they were accepted into the B10.
Let nebraska cry their way home to the big 8, offer Notre Dame a ridiculously huge contract to come to the B1G West and make our division somewhat relevant, and trade Butgers for Pitt. Win/Win.

Nebraska isn't long for the B10 in my opinion. There is no way this relationship continues...when Frost has publicly attacked the commissioner already. The incessant whining has to be grating on the entire B10 front office. Now I understand why Texas and Oklahoma were glad to see them go. You put up with it if they are winning Championships and contending nationally as a top team...when was the last time that happened? 1997?

Nebraska has ALWAYS been this way. Always swimming the opposite direction. They tried to go rogue in the Big 12 too. They won't be happy anywhere.

Nebraska has ALWAYS been this way. Always swimming the opposite direction. They tried to go rogue in the Big 12 too. They won't be happy anywhere.

Nebraska has a state population of under 2 million people and that under the modern economic model they are not, and never will be, anywhere near the driver's seat.

Nebraska isn't long for the B10 in my opinion. There is no way this relationship continues...when Frost has publicly attacked the commissioner already. The incessant whining has to be grating on the entire B10 front office. Now I understand why Texas and Oklahoma were glad to see them go. You put up with it if they are winning Championships and contending nationally as a top team...when was the last time that happened? 1997?

If they were winning Championships they would be trying to run the B10. I'm glad they suck and I hope they continue to suck.

If a program leaves or is removed from their conference and ends up an independent because no one wants them; theoretically what would happen in the event everyone got tired of the bullshit and absolutely no one scheduled them? Would the NCAA (who in my opinion is as equally irrelevant in the realm of college football) step in and assign them a schedule?

I'm sure someone would schedule them as most teams are looking for winnable games against teams that are occasionally competitive, but what if?

It takes a balls and a lack of brains for a program, representing a conference in which all schools agreed that there would be no nonconference games scheduled, to attempt to schedule a contingency game without running it by the league first. Regardless of what I think about the BIG TEN putting themselves in this mess in the first place, it's completely inexcusable and disrespectful to an organization they're already treading on thin ice with. Fu## Frost, Fu## Nebraska, and applaud the league for shutting it down.

It takes a balls and a lack of brains for a program, representing a conference in which all schools agreed that there would be no nonconference games scheduled, to attempt to schedule a contingency game without running it by the league first. Regardless of what I think about the BIG TEN putting themselves in this mess in the first place, it's completely inexcusable and disrespectful to an organization they're already treading on thin ice with. Fu## Frost, Fu## Nebraska, and applaud the league for shutting it down.

I would be sympathetic to Nebraska's attempts to schedule another team if they had a gate to preserve, but with no gate, it's really a non-starter. They did a worse job of reading the room than I did when I told a vulgar Aristocrats joke at church and then concluded it with a massive Taco Bell and night before beer fart instead of saying "The Aristocrats." I mean, I thought it was hilarious, but wow, was my read of the room OFF.

If a program leaves or is removed from their conference and ends up an independent because no one wants them; theoretically what would happen in the event everyone got tired of the bullshit and absolutely no one scheduled them? Would the NCAA (who in my opinion is as equally irrelevant in the realm of college football) step in and assign them a schedule?

I'm sure someone would schedule them as most teams are looking for winnable games against teams that are occasionally competitive, but what if?

No way the NCAA would get involved. Absolutely no way. It would be up to Nebraska to wield their checkbook to find games. As I mentioned above, they simply don't understand that Iowa, Northwestern and Nebraska are wholly at the mercy of the conference. Northwestern has power because they are a charter member of the B1G and cannot be removed without consent, but they understand their role in the conference. Iowa and Nebraska are in really small population states and materially dilute the monetary pool available to the rest of the members. Thankfully, programs like Michigan, OSU and PSU need some victims who at least look like they have a pulse so Iowa has some utility to them, but if Nebraska football tails off into total irrelevance, given their location and insanely small population base, they should be very worried.

With this season being nothing but an asterisk anyway I don't see why not. Like what's the BIGs reason? The kids deserve to play I think. If you can get ducks in a row with another school to make it work then why the heck not? I'm no NE apologist by any means take the name of the school out of it. If it was us I'd want to play. Now their tactic of trying to get it done and asking for forgiveness instead of permission not withstanding when looking at the bottom like of it all to me I think they should get to play. What on earth does it hurt?

So to you it's mostly because of who they are that you'd rather they not play? If it were us you'd be cool with trying to find a way to play someone else? From the kids angle they are getting shafted. Frost and their AD I couldn't care less about. It's easy to see why the league isn't doing them any favors but it sucks that the players are involved get the short end of the stick ultimately.

I would be sympathetic to Nebraska's attempts to schedule another team if they had a gate to preserve, but with no gate, it's really a non-starter. They did a worse job of reading the room than I did when I told a vulgar Aristocrats joke at church and then concluded it with a massive Taco Bell and night before beer fart instead of saying "The Aristocrats." I mean, I thought it was hilarious, but wow, was my read of the room OFF.
As long as you were considerate of deaf folks who may have been in the room. Was the smell accurate enough for them to understand the joke?

So to you it's mostly because of who they are that you'd rather they not play? If it were us you'd be cool with trying to find a way to play someone else? From the kids angle they are getting shafted. Frost and their AD I couldn't care less about. It's easy to see why the league isn't doing them any favors but it sucks that the players are involved get the short end of the stick ultimately.

I'd honestly rather take a bye week and practice than play some shitbag team. We need it. Nebraska needs it. Illinois needs it. It's actually doing them a favor.

The other angle of this is how much BIG revenue is lost without Neb playing? For the BIG to shoot this down is them stepping on their own dick costing themselves money right? At a time when every school, program, and league is hemorrhaging money why would they do that? Don't say Covid risk BS and different schools/leagues have different protocals. Oh blah. If the schools test kids prior to games and schools agree then let em play. This feels like it's just an ego power play by the league who is just as sick of Neb as they are of the BIG. Which is too bad. I just hope now this isn't a precedent. Because it's only going to happen again sooner then later and probably more often...

I'd honestly rather take a bye week and practice than play some shitbag team. We need it. Nebraska needs it. Illinois needs it. It's actually doing them a favor.
Ya think coaches and kids would? We aren't playing a full season as it is and most likely not a bowl game so to me I'd rather they play anyone just about. You can't simulate a lot of game situations very well in practice. This yr has a big fat asterisk on it. It just doesn't matter so I'd rather they play then not. But that's just lil ole me

With this season being nothing but an asterisk anyway...
To me since the season is an asterisk they could have just made it a 7 game schedule with 2 bye/covid dates and let the East and West champs play in a combination B1G title/bowl game. Let whatever bowl game it is double as the B1G championship. 7 games with 2 byes only extends the season by a week and allows ample time for covid whoopsies.

Entirely off base. It's not an all parts equal equation. Iowa didn't come out and threaten to go outside the conference when the conference shutdown. Iowa didn't take a we'll play anyone approach trying to flex their muscles at the BIG TEN only to pull a complete 180 and whine like bitches when they got hammered with the schedule they received (whether a fair or unfair move by the league). Finally Iowa didn't agree with the terms stipulating that they would only play a conference schedule and then go about reaching out to a potential opponent without going through the league first.

Do I feel bad for the kids absolutely. But professionalism and integrity mean something to me and unfortunately I see very little of that coming from Lincoln. So I guess to me it's not because they're a rival and Nebraska, but because they're a program that has this underlying sense of entitlement that the rules don't apply to them and that the conference owes them something.

Latest posts