NCAA Proposes End to Early Scholarship Offers

Interesting because coaches will still call/recruit and maybe even verbally offer. It'd be interesting to see if this would actually change anything

It probably wouldn't change a thing. I agree that it's an epidemic but the horse has left the barn.

I still support the move.

i completely agree with cydkar. wow, miracles do happen :)
happen to know a D-1 caliber player that is going into his junior year and he is showing signs of getting burned out by recruiting already. and he has two years left!

This is how I think recruiting should go. Schools can offer a scholarship whenever they want to who ever they want. But the offer is binding and irrevocable (until a class is filled). That is, if the 8th grader accepts it, he is going to get one of your allowed scholarships whether he ever develops the talent for it or not. This keeps the school honest by not wanting to take such big risks with so few resources.

Also, the recruit can agree to accept an offer in writing whenever they want. No signing period. But if the recruit later changes their mind, they lose 2 years of college eligibility. This eliminates the kid backing out of any offers. Should also cutback on some of this verbal commitment and then switching stuff. The recruit better be sure they know what they are doing when they sign that paper. Also, coaches receiving the commitment and those not are afforded some certainty as they try to fill their classes.

Essentially, I think you just make a commitment mean something. You could probably leave an exception in there for when there is a coaching change.

Latest posts