More bowl games

Good God, I can only eat so many cocktail weenies, chips and salsa, and drink so many beers in December/January.....This means I'll never get that damn bathroom done upstairs....:p

Well we are up to 42......84 of 128 D-1 teams will qualify for a bowl. If you are a HC in a power 5 conference and you can't get your team to a bowl game 2 out of every 3 years you should be fired.

Likewise, if you don't have a winning record against a team who has only won 3 bowls in their entire history you should be fired.

I have to agree with the above posters. It would be humiliating to not get into a bowl at least every other year. There shouldn't be any excuses. In 1995 there were 18 bowl games. Now 42. It doesn't mean as much. When Hayden was leading us to bowl games it was special. I don't know how many bowl games were around at the time but it was something to get excited about. Now I like hearing about the extra practice as much as the game.

Iowa will probably make it to the Cannabis Global Initiative Bowl in Denver.....I guess, my point being is every year there are new names, new locations, and I agree w/Doc, when Hayden was here, going to a bowl was exciting and special....can't wait to hear the new names of these....more football to watch, kind of reminds me of the Iowa High School playoffs now....darn near every team can get in

Iowa will probably make it to the Cannabis Global Initiative Bowl in Denver.....I guess, my point being is every year there are new names, new locations, and I agree w/Doc, when Hayden was here, going to a bowl was exciting and special....can't wait to hear the new names of these....more football to watch, kind of reminds me of the Iowa High School playoffs now....darn near every team can get in

Yeah they've really devalued the playoffs in Iowa High School Football. Used to be that you really had to have a good (8+ regular season wins) in most classes below 4A to get in, with 7-2 and a lotta luck on occasion. Now it's watered down so much that they should hand out participation ribbons to everyone.

With the bowl games I get it that all these new cities see those tourism $$$ and want their slice of the pie. But that pie can only get so big. Unless a team's fans travel well there's gonna be some unhappy faces on these Chamber of Commerce types putting on these bowls of 6-6 schools.

Outside the playoff bowls, the bowl system is so watered down now that it's irrelevant and hard to get up for the games. This proves the old adage that more is not always better. No team should go 6-6 or worse & be in a bowl game.

This is why I shake my head when people say "Just make a bowl, and I'm happy". Simply making a bowl doesn't mean a lot anymore, when 2/3 of the teams in the country will be playing in one.

It's getting to the point where you can go 6-6, maybe even 5-7, and still be a bowl team. So you could finish with a losing record. That's not a good season (however you want to define "good") in my book.

Latest posts