Michigan vs. Iowa by the numbers

99topdawg

I was looking through a few stats and trying to figure out if we have a chance and ran into these numbers and found that we're not all that different. Everyone's scared of them because of the OSU game. Can they put together 2 near perfect games in a row? If they do, we're screwed. If they play like they've played the rest of the season, we'll be right in it.

Common opponents—Our score listed first:

Ind. 34-6 29-7

Md. 51-14 59-18

PSU 23-20 21-17

Neb. 28-21 32-29

Total average of all conference games: 26.7 – 16.6 35.3 – 15.8

The two games that are not as similar:

Wis. 27-7 38-17

NW 17-12 33-7

In the Wisconsin game, the obvious difference is the points against Wisconsin’s defense. We lost 3 fumbles. As we know, every drive is precious because we’re not a quick strike team and we have to hope that we score on a certain percentage of our drives.

Michigan got 3 TO’s from Wisconsin and started at Wisconsin’s 33, 35, and 3. All 3 of those turnovers led to scores.

Iowa had 210 yards of total offense, Michigan had 270.

Against NW, we scored 17, they scored 33. In total offense, we were 96 yards apart. The biggest difference was in rushing yards (109 yards difference), but we had 185 yards so, as we know, NW’s rushing defense was the worst in the Big Ten by 57 ypg.

In 9 conference games, the teams UM played averaged 23 ppg. Michigan held them to 19.1 ppg. They played 5 of the bottom 6 in ppg.

The teams they played averaged allowing 27 ppg. Michigan scored 34 ppg. The played the bottom 6 and 7 of the bottom 8 in points allowed.

My biggest worry has been their pass rush against our OL. We have given up 2.5 per game and they get 2.7.

What everyone is worried about is that they beat OSU. Their Super Bowl. Yes, they did run up and down the field against them. No doubt.

They are the #1 rushing offense in the Big Ten. They have played 6 of the bottom 8 rush defenses in the Big Ten. Against the 1st and 4th rush defenses, they averaged 129 rushing yards per game. We’re ranked 3rd. If we hold them to 129 yards rushing, I like our chances.

So, in summary, what am I saying (if anyone is still reading)? I'm in a meeting and am bored as hell.

I was looking through a few stats and trying to figure out if we have a chance and ran into these numbers and found that we're not all that different. Everyone's scared of them because of the OSU game. Can they put together 2 near perfect games in a row? If they do, we're screwed. If they play like they've played the rest of the season, we'll be right in it.

Ind. 34-6 29-7

Md. 51-14 59-18

PSU 23-20 21-17

Neb. 28-21 32-29

Wis. 27-7 38-17

NW 17-12 33-7

In the Wisconsin game, the obvious difference is the points against Wisconsin’s defense. We lost 3 fumbles. As we know, every drive is precious because we’re not a quick strike team and we have to hope that we score on a certain percentage of our drives.

Michigan got 3 TO’s from Wisconsin and started at Wisconsin’s 33, 35, and 3. All 3 of those turnovers led to scores.

Against NW, we scored 17, they scored 33. In total offense, we were 96 yards apart. The biggest difference was in rushing yards (109 yards difference), but we had 185 yards so, as we know, NW’s rushing defense was the worst in the Big Ten by 57 ypg.

In 9 conference games, the teams UM played averaged 23 ppg. Michigan held them to 19.1 ppg. They played 5 of the bottom 6 in ppg.

The teams they played averaged allowing 27 ppg. Michigan scored 34 ppg. The played the bottom 6 and 7 of the bottom 8 in points allowed.

My biggest worry has been their pass rush against our OL. We have given up 2.5 per game and they get 2.7.

What everyone is worried about is that they beat OSU. Their Super Bowl. Yes, they did run up and down the field against them. No doubt.

They are the #1 rushing offense in the Big Ten. They have played 6 of the bottom 8 rush defenses in the Big Ten. Against the 1st and 4th rush defenses, they averaged 129 rushing yards per game. We’re ranked 3rd. If we hold them to 129 yards rushing, I like our chances.

So, in summary, what am I saying (if anyone is still reading)? I'm in a meeting and am bored as hell.
Eff work!!!
GO HAWKS!!!

sometimes I get the feeling that Iowa will never get a first down (like against wisconsin). That isn't true. Iowa will move the ball on some drives. On other drives they'll try 3 plays and gain 3 yards and punt. Still Iowa will move the ball. I just hope they don't give up too many negative plays.

The thing they gotta do is score when they get inside the 30 - unlike against Nebraska.

Whats most important is keeping michigan below 25 points

It's coming down to the offensive line for the obvious two reasons. My message to the o-line if I had to give a speech. Individually just go out beat your man on every play, win the match on every play. If a unit does that every play they are going to succeed.

Everybody has to have in their head before each snap, I'm going to beat my guy this play!

It's coming down to the offensive line for the obvious two reasons. My message to the o-line if I had to give a speech. Individually just go out beat your man on every play, win the match on every play. If a unit does that every play they are going to succeed.

Everybody has to have in their head before each snap, I'm going to beat my guy this play!
This is why guys like Lindy are so different. They don't think about beating their assignment, they think about embarrassing them every single play.

If only it were that easy. Iowa hasn't been able to really steadily block a 3-4 in almost half a decade. You tell the linemen to win against their man every play, but there are 7 guys in the box, no one knows which one is going to be the 4th rusher and two guys are standing around.

If only it were that easy. Iowa hasn't been able to really steadily block a 3-4 in almost half a decade. You tell the linemen to win against their man every play, but there are 7 guys in the box, no one knows which one is going to be the 4th rusher and two guys are standing around.
I've watched a lot of highlights this week, and Michigan is not afraid to go 3-4 at the drop of a hat for certain plays, with Hutchinson at NT. Obviously the NT idea wouldn't be super feasible against Linderbaum, but setting Hutchinson up out side where Pottebaum or LaPorta might have to pick him up is a disaster waiting to happen.

I've watched a lot of highlights this week, and Michigan is not afraid to go 3-4 at the drop of a hat for certain plays, with Hutchinson at NT. Obviously the NT idea wouldn't be super feasible against Linderbaum, but setting Hutchinson up out side where Pottebaum or LaPorta might have to pick him up is a disaster waiting to happen.

Correct. I'd kill to have Daivyon Nixon or Gholston in practice this week just so we could work on scheming that. I suspect we'll get a steady dose of 3-4 on 3rd and 8 and they'll bring 5 rushers. This game is gonna be a chess match.

Correct. I'd kill to have Daivyon Nixon or Gholston in practice this week just so we could work on scheming that. I suspect we'll get a steady dose of 3-4 on 3rd and 8 and they'll bring 5 rushers. This game is gonna be a chess match.
Yes it will

The hawk defense has been giving up opening drive scores and early scores the last few games even in a winning streak. We cant get 10 or 14 behind mich early because of that running game and they have enough weapons in the playaction pass game.

Not only the Hawk Offense but if the defense can hold them down the first few drives that bodes really well because our defense as you know just gets better during the game with adjustments.

................. but if the defense can hold them down the first few drives that bodes really well because our defense as you know just gets better during the game with adjustments.

This^ Last two games it took a few drives before the defense asserted. That cannot happen this game. Phil needs to have his boys ready from the git-go............

This is why guys like Lindy are so different. They don't think about beating their assignment, they think about embarrassing them every single play.

Yes, I have twin boys that play football. I've told both of that the same thing all the years they played tackle football up until now. Before the snap be thinking I'm going to beat this guy and do my assignment. First and foremost, do your assignment, and second as you put it, dominate your guy!

But, it starts with the line and they have to have that in their head. It's a start. If they are doing their job and it's not working, then it is on the coaches scheming and not putting the players in the correction position to succeed. What you are saying above is a scheming issue.

My point is that they know Hutchinson is going to be a bear to handle along with prob a couple other down linemen. The players have got to go into the game with the mindset that they work just as hard or harder and are just as good as who they are facing. Krist, they are all D1 players. Go in with confidence. If they don't, they are already defeated.

What's the magic number? I think first to 17-20 pts wins this thing... If Iowa can somehow get up early 10-14 (very unlikely I know) that would have us not sweat it out as bad.

The thing to hope for is they are coming down off the high of beating OSU and they aren't as mentally locked in and good to go early on in the game. That to me is when we have to catch them and be opportunistic. I know we've gotten away with slow starts and playing the field position game all yr but this Michigan team is for real. They have all the marbles to be playing for too. Expecting a Neb like collapse from them is unrealistic. If we piss away possessions in the 1st half and get down by a score or two I don't like our chances all that much...

Last edited:
The hawk defense has been giving up opening drive scores and early scores the last few games even in a winning streak. We cant get 10 or 14 behind mich early because of that running game and they have enough weapons in the playaction pass game.

Not only the Hawk Offense but if the defense can hold them down the first few drives that bodes really well because our defense as you know just gets better during the game with adjustments.

Yea, Iowa is not going to be able to chase points at all this game. This ain't Nebby who breaks down in special teams or shoots themselves in the foot.

Ind. 34-6 29-7

Md. 51-14 59-18

PSU 23-20 21-17

Neb. 28-21 32-29

Wis. 27-7 38-17

NW 17-12 33-7

One Big thing, OSU kept shooting themselves in the foot with false starts... and other penalties it happened all game long ... and I think they somehow lost track of # 97 as he lined up all over the Dline .... and on offense osu is so quick strike that the osu D was on the field a lot! and they got tired and very poor angles and tackling was the result!

One Big thing, OSU kept shooting themselves in the foot with false starts... and other penalties it happened all game long ... and I think they somehow lost track of # 97 as he lined up all over the Dline .... and on offense osu is so quick strike that the osu D was on the field a lot! and they got tired and very poor angles and tackling was the result!
Yep. They had 10 penalties. A lot of them were huge.

Latest posts