Megan Gustafson

judzeehawk

needs only 15 rebounds to tie the record and needs 157 points to tie the scoring record. Hawks play Robert Morris today at 2:00 in Carver. This game should allow the Hawks to regain some semblance of a basketball team. It's alright to blow out bad teams but the Hawks need to start playing respectful basketball against good teams instead of folding like a cheap lawn chair. Play hard and fast Hawks like you want to be playing this game instead of timid and scared. Yes I'll be at the game in full support of the Hawks but maybe just not as energetic. Ice cream sounds pretty good. Go Hawks!

I wish I could watch womens basketball I really do it'd be easier. ESPN tries ramming it down our throats quite a bit along with the BTN. But I'd rather go sit in the bleachers and watch junior high boys play... The womans game is just unwatchable for me

I wish I could watch womens basketball I really do it'd be easier. ESPN tries ramming it down our throats quite a bit along with the BTN. But I'd rather go sit in the bleachers and watch junior high boys play... The womans game is just unwatchable for me
It's not for everyone and if you don't care for it that's really alright. It's the people that need to take upon themselves to make it miserable for the one's that do follow women's basketball. The women's game has come along ways and will keep evolving. The better athletes are going to college instead of passing on it. Believe it or not TV is helping grow the women's game and attendance is on the rise across the board. 17,000 were on hand to watch Louisville vs. UConn last week. People do care. As far as ramming it down your throat that's not possible. That can only happen if you watch it. I don't care for soccer but I'm not on here complaining about it. By the way Congrats Megan on setting a new record in the B1G for the Iowa Hawkeyes! Quite the accomplishment. G.O.A.T.!

It's not for everyone and if you don't care for it that's really alright. It's the people that need to take upon themselves to make it miserable for the one's that do follow women's basketball. The women's game has come along ways and will keep evolving. The better athletes are going to college instead of passing on it. Believe it or not TV is helping grow the women's game and attendance is on the rise across the board. 17,000 were on hand to watch Louisville vs. UConn last week. People do care. As far as ramming it down your throat that's not possible. That can only happen if you watch it. I don't care for soccer but I'm not on here complaining about it. By the way Congrats Megan on setting a new record in the B1G for the Iowa Hawkeyes! Quite the accomplishment. G.O.A.T.!
The networks are clearly trying to ram it down the publics throat. I doubt there's a clammering for it from consumers. What are the ratings that they get compared to the mens? Or about anything else they could air in those same time slots? If I and other consumers would rather be watchin something else instead but that's what they have on then turning TV off is the only protest to it. They could play past mens games instead or more of their talk show stuff and get the same or better ratings I bet then they can with womens live sports. (I can't watch soccer either for similar reasons. I just don't like it. Mens or womens. There's no entertainment in it for me But I'm not a huge fan of most Olympic sports for similar reasons too. As far as how consumers look at it it's a global game and I have no clue how the ratings are for it)

Look at it this way. When Michigan and OSU play each other in football or basketball do you or would you watch? A whole lot of casual football/basketball fans that are not fans of either of those schools do. As they do within other matchups in the mens games. Would you ever flip on a womans game between Indiana and Nebraska and get into it? It's such a small nitchy thing I have a tough time believing the ratings could be any good. Singling out UConn is fine they are the cream of the crop for sure. But even their program loses $. Their whole athletic department is in the red. But the drop off after them to everyone else is what?

Strange that you would open a thread titled Megan Gustafson if you find women's basketball to be so offensive.

The networks are clearly trying to ram it down the publics throat. I doubt there's a clammering for it from consumers. What are the ratings that they get compared to the mens? Or about anything else they could air in those same time slots? If I and other consumers would rather be watchin something else instead but that's what they have on then turning TV off is the only protest to it. They could play past mens games instead or more of their talk show stuff and get the same or better ratings I bet then they can with womens live sports. (I can't watch soccer either for similar reasons. I just don't like it. Mens or womens. There's no entertainment in it for me But I'm not a huge fan of most Olympic sports for similar reasons too. As far as how consumers look at it it's a global game and I have no clue how the ratings are for it)

Look at it this way. When Michigan and OSU play each other in football or basketball do you or would you watch? A whole lot of casual football/basketball fans that are not fans of either of those schools do. As they do within other matchups in the mens games. Would you ever flip on a womans game between Indiana and Nebraska and get into it? It's such a small nitchy thing I have a tough time believing the ratings could be any good. Singling out UConn is fine they are the cream of the crop for sure. But even their program loses $. Their whole athletic department is in the red. But the drop off after them to everyone else is what?
To each his own, but I wouldn't presume to say that because a sport doesn't have high ratings it isn't worth airing. Also, women's basketball in the State of Iowa is so good that Iowa, Iowa State and Drake all will likely be hosting NCAA games.

Strange that you would open a thread titled Megan Gustafson if you find women's basketball to be so offensive.
I never said it was 'offensive' that's your word. I find it unwatchable compared to the mens game and not entertaining. I'm sure this Megan gal is a great player for a female but would she have a scholarship to play mens basketball if that was her only route to go to college? (Not just her any female player)

I never said it was 'offensive' that's your word. I find it unwatchable compared to the mens game and not entertaining. I'm sure this Megan gal is a great player for a female but would she have a scholarship to play mens basketball if that was her only route to go to college? (Not just her any female player)
This Megan gal is one of the best players in the country. I'm going to assume you have never seen her play since women's basketball is so unwatchable. Broaden your horizons a little and try it. Watch them play Michigan State on Thursday:)

To each his own, but I wouldn't presume to say that because a sport doesn't have high ratings it isn't worth airing. Also, women's basketball in the State of Iowa is so good that Iowa, Iowa State and Drake all will likely be hosting NCAA games.
For sure. To each their own. Some people like pineapple and anchovies on their pizza too. I'm not presuming to tell others what to like for themselves at all. What you say about the ratings mattering or not is the interesting part of it. Because I feel they are airing it instead of other things that could do better. I wonder why they go that route? Just to be 'fair' to them or 'nice'?

This Megan gal is one of the best players in the country. I'm going to assume you have never seen her play since women's basketball is so unwatchable. Broaden your horizons a little and try it. Watch them play Michigan State on Thursday:)
Let me add what you left off to that sentence. For a girl. I've watched some womans basketball before. I saw that tall gal at Baylor a few years ago do her thing when she was dunking here and there. She was like 6'8 and could barely dunk a girls ball. Even that was tough to watch.

Let me add what you left off to that sentence. For a girl. I've watched some womans basketball before. I saw that tall gal at Baylor a few years ago do her thing when she was dunking here and there. She was like 6'8 and could barely dunk a girls ball. Even that was tough to watch.
Well now you are making it sound like being female is inherently inferior instead of just different. And that "tall gal" from Baylor I'm going to assume is Brittney Griner who had 18 dunks in her college career and 748 blocks along with a huge number of other stats and awards. Of course, she is only a girl.

In a perfect world it would be wonderful to program just the things that a person would like to watch. On a message board it's quite simple. When you see a thread about a female basketball player just scroll on by that way you won't be offended that a female is getting recognition for being a great female basketball player. After all nobody was comparing her to any male basketball players.

Well now you are making it sound like being female is inherently inferior instead of just different. And that "tall gal" from Baylor I'm going to assume is Brittney Griner who had 18 dunks in her college career and 748 blocks along with a huge number of other stats and awards. Of course, she is only a girl.
I'm not 'making it sound like' anything. I'm bluntly stating the obvious. Yes woman are different then men. And by different they are not as good. Are you debating that women are as good as men at basketball? I'll take the 3rd best HS mens team in the US and put them up against the female Olympic team. The talent gap is just too much. The mens size, speed, skill, all of it would make it a joke. The worst mens D1 basketball team would beat an all star group of any womans team you could put together.
Yes Griner is who I saw. If a 6'8 long armed gal with any hand eye coordination and athleticism at all couldn't block a lot of shots and rebound against other 5'10 girls then yeah she didn't deserve to be out there. How would she do against other 6'8 men on the same college scholarship?

Last edited:

It's obvious you don't know very much about the women's game which is alright. Nothing wrong with that but the rest of the women's team s has closed the gap on UConn. Heck they haven't even won a title the last 2 years and probably won't win one this year. You don't like the women's game that's perfectly fine just don't come on a thread that is praising a female Hawkeye basketball player ( that could turn out to be a National Player of the Year ) and post a bunch of negative stuff when you shouldn't of even been on the thread because you dislike women's basketball. I would like to thank you for posting and bringing further attention to the thread. I'm sure someone else will put in their negative $0.02 also.

I'm not 'making it sound like' anything. I'm bluntly stating the obvious. Are you debating that women are as good as men at basketball? I'll take the 3rd best HS mens team in the US and put them up against the female Olympic team. The talent gap is just too much. The mens size, speed, skill, all of it would make it a joke. The worst mens D1 basketball team would beat an all star group of any womans team you could put together.
Yes Griner is who I saw. If a 6'8 long armed gal with any hand eye coordination and athleticism at all couldn't block a lot of shots and rebound against other 5'10 girls then yeah she didn't deserve to be out there. How would she do against other 6'8 men on the same college scholarship?
You seem to be the only one that keeps trying to compare the 2 games with each other. They are a separate game and have never been meant to cross the lines of the 2. I know you will bah humbug this but women's teams are actually getting taller across the board. Everybody has several 6ft. 3 or 4 players. Some teams have 3 or 4 6ft. 6 players and their are now quite a few of 6ft. 9 ladies out there. Iowa might just pick up a 6ft. 9 player this year. Tennessee is the first team this year not to have a single player under 6ft. Like I said earlier it's evolving but I don't think you're ever going to see teams where everybody is at least 6ft. 4 or better. You might 30 years down the road but I doubt it. Height isn't everything anyway. It's the athleticism. That is getting better also. No it's not as good as the men's. Nobody but you are comparing the 2.

You seem to be the only one that keeps trying to compare the 2 games with each other. They are a separate game and have never been meant to cross the lines of the 2. I know you will bah humbug this but women's teams are actually getting taller across the board. Everybody has several 6ft. 3 or 4 players. Some teams have 3 or 4 6ft. 6 players and their are now quite a few of 6ft. 9 ladies out there. Iowa might just pick up a 6ft. 9 player this year. Tennessee is the first team this year not to have a single player under 6ft. Like I said earlier it's evolving but I don't think you're ever going to see teams where everybody is at least 6ft. 4 or better. You might 30 years down the road but I doubt it. Height isn't everything anyway. It's the athleticism. That is getting better also. No it's not as good as the men's. Nobody but you are comparing the 2.
You don't have to defend women's sports to someone like this. It doesn't matter what he thinks. His opinion is just that;an opinion......and an uninformed one at that. GO HAWKS!!!!

Latest posts