Maybe We Do Have Things to Talk About

Can you imagine how many thousands of former players suffer through this?

I have mixed feeling about this topic. I feel that concussions were not handled properly on many levels in the past where it be misdiagnosis or just a rush back to play due to pressure or just the competitive nature of some people. I also feel that anyone in any type of sport has agreed to some assumption of risk and cannot be held completely unaccountable for any sides affects they may suffer from due to normal play, (dirty plays, fights, or play outside the realm of normal is not included).

There are people that suffer through various aches and pains as well as other serious physical ailments as a result from their jobs or extracurricular activity. I guess my point is there is always a choice and sometimes they are difficult ones but regardless you need to ultimately live with the choices you make as an individual.

I have mixed feeling about this topic. I feel that concussions were not handled properly on many levels in the past where it be misdiagnosis or just a rush back to play due to pressure or just the competitive nature of some people. I also feel that anyone in any type of sport has agreed to some assumption of risk and cannot be held completely unaccountable for any sides affects they may suffer from due to normal play, (dirty plays, fights, or play outside the realm of normal is not included).

There are people that suffer through various aches and pains as well as other serious physical ailments as a result from their jobs or extracurricular activity. I guess my point is there is always a choice and sometimes they are difficult ones but regardless you need to ultimately live with the choices you make as an individual.
I agree. There are risks that everyone understands on some level. Some coaches do put a lot of pressure on players to play through pain and injury, til this day. It's a bad situation.

In my opinion, this whole concussion thing is going to play out similar in nature to how the tobacco lawsuits played out.

On one side, you've got a multi-billion dollar business making it's money by ruining the health and well-being of others....and lied and covered up it's knowledge of the extent of the health repercussions On the other hand, you've got the people affected by it that pretty much knew what they were getting into....the risks involved....and chose to do it anyway. Tobacco lost the argument....and I think the NFL ultimately will as well.

To me the main issue is that the NFL spent millions of dollars trying to prevent, discredit and hide any and all studies on concussions in the NFL because they were afraid of what the consequences could mean. Kind of like the tobacco industry attempted to do with cigarettes or the catholic church did with child abuse. When you're being compared to those other scandals...you did something very wrong.

I love the NFL but when it comes to this issue the NFL deserves to be punished severely.

Wasn't it almost a badge of honor to see how fast you could "clear the cobwebs" out of your head as soon as possible after "getting your bell rung"?

And some coaches were teaching their players to "bury their face mask in someone's sternum?

The times have changed. Spider, I've been making your argument on several threads since I started posting. As much as money talks, I think doctors, lawyers, insurance companies, and most of all an outraged public are eventually going to speak louder. The NFL collective bargaining agreement gets renegotiated after the 2020 season and this may be when the truth comes out as to what the NFL has been hiding all these years.

Things sure have changed. In high school, I got knocked out from the catcher's face mask when he tossed it after a 3rd strike passed ball. I remember sitting along the base line not knowing what happened or where I was. Do you think anybody checked me out to see if I was ok? Nope, I did get chewed out for not getting up and running to 1st base though. The whole hour bus ride home I was in a weird haze and not a popular person due to not running to 1st lol.

Things sure have changed. In high school, I got knocked out from the catcher's face mask when he tossed it after a 3rd strike passed ball. I remember sitting along the base line not knowing what happened or where I was. Do you think anybody checked me out to see if I was ok? Nope, I did get chewed out for not getting up and running to 1st base though. The whole hour bus ride home I was in a weird haze and not a popular person due to not running to 1st lol.
What were you doing swinging at that low outside slider in the dirt?:p

You didn't read the article. it was about kids. Like under 14 mostly or that has been what the articles on the news lately have been about.

Minors can't really make those choices.

What has also changed is that for sure I can remember my head pounding and getting my bell wrong. What my son's (all of them) have experienced is far and away above that. Something has changed.

You didn't read the article. it was about kids. Like under 14 mostly or that has been what the articles on the news lately have been about.

Minors can't really make those choices.

What has also changed is that for sure I can remember my head pounding and getting my bell wrong. What my son's (all of them) have experienced is far and away above that. Something has changed.
That's a key point, or counterpoint, for people on the NFL side of the debate.

They point out that NFL players are grown men who know the risk while high school kids are minors who need their parents signatures on consent forms and medical physicals in order to play on the first place.

They aren't always making those choices on their own.

We as a society have not done anything to stop "adults" from smoking and drinking to excess so if you are old enough I guess you make up your own mind and decisions. Then you sue for damages later.

But yes, minor children should be protected and if football and headers in soccer turn out to be dangerous to young brains then they need to take out the collisions. I have no problem with football becoming skills based flag football until kids are 18. I love watching the sport, there can be camps for blocking and tackling drills on dummies and there could still be college and pro football. And college and pro football needs to start kicking players out for more than a game when they lead with their head or body to an opponents head.

We as a society have not done anything to stop "adults" from smoking and drinking to excess so if you are old enough I guess you make up your own mind and decisions. Then you sue for damages later.

But yes, minor children should be protected and if football and headers in soccer turn out to be dangerous to young brains then they need to take out the collisions. I have no problem with football becoming skills based flag football until kids are 18. I love watching the sport, there can be camps for blocking and tackling drills on dummies and there could still be college and pro football. And college and pro football needs to start kicking players out for more than a game when they lead with their head or body to an opponents head.

Why wouldnt some hits be criminal battery?

Talking about the grossly flagerant ones.

Why wouldnt some hits be criminal battery?

Talking about the grossly flagerant ones.
Case in point. Tom Wilson of the Washington Capitals left his feet, launched himself at a Pittsburgh Penguins player who suffered a broken jaw and concussion.

On a hockey rink Wilson received three games. On the street he could get the slammer.