Maryland gets Hammered by BigTen office

Their LACK of Class at Penn State is going to cost them.

Diggs hits a Ref in the face?? Are you kidding me?
Then, the not shaking hands..........that is just low, bad form.

Maryland is starting to make Rutgers and Nebraska look like regular schools.

I'm kinda ok with the refusal to shake hands. The B1G needs a villian. Now that Zooker is gone, Illinois hasn't been living up to their classless reputation.

What was their excuse for not shaking hands? I heard about this but have not heard the "why"?

Last edited:
Well the best medicine for a classless tool is a punch in the mouth over and over again. Thank God Greg Davis decided to throw it 56 times. Nothing hurts more than pass protectors backing up.

That being said, if they are on the schedule next year...there may be a circle around that game in Kinnick.

I'm sorry but the handshake thing is bush league. You follow tradition and sportsmanship prior to a game and at the coin toss. You can punch someone in the nuts on the first play if that what works for you but don't go all Miami Hurricanes at the coin toss...especially since you've never won anything in football to my knowledge.

I think Edsall is a bit of a tool too...didnt realize that until he opened his mouth the other day regarding Penn State. Wait to go Randy...you beat a school with 35 less schollies over the past two to three years. When Penn State gets a couple of years to recover...this is going to be painful for Maryland. I hate Penn State, but I'll be rooting for them in that matchup for years.

What was their excuse for not shaking hands? I heard about but have not heard the "why"?

Pregame scuffle. Maryland was trying to prove how "bad" they are.

The story seems to vary, but from I can determine... Maryland was on the field first and they setup some of their warmups right where Penn St comes out. (a not-so-subtle trick to disrupt Penn State's routine). So when Penn St took the field they ran through those Maryland players...pushing and shoving ensued. The Maryland punk actually shoved his hand in a ref's face. He was lucky they didn't toss him before kickoff.

Maryland fans claim Penn St is at fault for running through their guys
Penn St fans point out that Maryland set it up, by being where they knew Penn St would be running out.

My take: Maryland is (are) now the defacto punks of the BigTen

Penn State instigated the skirmish that led to Diggs trying to shove a player and hitting a ref.

Penn State brings just about everyone down to their level of classlessness. I wouldn't want to shake their hands either after they repeatedly disrupt Maryland's warmups.

Oh, and James Franklin completely disrespected Maryland this spring at one of his little booster events.

The story seems to vary, but from I can determine... Maryland was on the field first and they setup some of their warmups right where Penn St comes out. (a not-so-subtle trick to disrupt Penn State's routine). So when Penn St took the field they ran through those Maryland players...pushing and shoving ensued. The Maryland punk actually shoved his hand in a ref's face. He was lucky they didn't toss him before kickoff.

Penn St fans point out that Maryland set it up, by being where they knew Penn St would be running out.

That's not what I heard at all.

Also, James Franklin covered up a rape scandal, then joins a program coming off of a massive rape scandal...then tells the public that Maryland should just shut down their football program. He's a slimy piece of crap.

In case you're wondering were tensions were high, check out this quote from Franklin.

“I consider [Maryland] in-state. I consider New Jersey in-state,” Franklin said while speaking to the Penn State fans and alums assembled in Baltimore in early May. “[T]hey might as well shut them down because they don’t have a chance.”

All I'm saying is...if Wisconsin said that about Iowa, I wouldn't mind Iowa players not shaking their hands. I mean, Iowa fans are proud that Beliema trash talked ISU's head coach after a game as a player...it's stuff that happens in a rivalry. And after Franlkin's comments this spring, why wouldn't Maryland react?

The biggest story is that they didn't reprimand Penn State as well.

Maryland may be punks and they may get theirs but the Penn State football program will always be the b*tches of the B1G for harboring and enabling he whose name isn't worthy of being spoken.

I would not want to shake hands with people from a program that covered up the actions of pedophiles either. If nothing else but to show my opposition to the punishment being too light and ending too soon following such crimes. IMO they should have been kicked out of the Big Ten.

I'm sorry but the handshake thing is bush league. You follow tradition and sportsmanship prior to a game and at the coin toss. You can punch someone in the nuts on the first play if that what works for you but don't go all Miami Hurricanes at the coin toss...especially since you've never won anything in football to my knowledge.

Exactly. Just look at the NHL playoffs, teams beat up on each other for up to 7 games and after the series clinching game they always lineup for a handshake. Always.

We're not used to coaches talking smack in the B1G. However coaches swaping shots is commonplace in the SEC. Franklin learned it there. Its ok ....I guess.

Deserved. This is the B1G. Don't bring your east-coast privilege up in here. We ain't havin' it.

I would not want to shake hands with people from a program that covered up the actions of pedophiles either.
The PSU captains standing out in the middle of the field had absolutely nothing to do with the prior crap that went on. What's your line of demarcation on guilt by association? If you were in the stands at Kinnick when PSU was in town, would you refuse to shake hands with a visiting PSU fan?

No I don't think I would shake the hand of any Pedo state fan at the game. Guilt by association would extend to anyone associated with the program that was alive and old enough to reason at the time. So roughly anyone over the age of 14 now. The players on the team now also had free will to play somewhere else but chose not to be free of this tainted program.

No I don't think I would shake the hand of any Pedo state fan at the game. Guilt by association would extend to anyone associated with the program that was alive and old enough to reason at the time. So roughly anyone over the age of 14 now. The players on the team now also had free will to play somewhere else but chose not to be free of this tainted program.

Well, I refuse to associate with an Iowa Athletic Dept that allowed a guy like Pierre Pierce to wonder free in the dorms. Then there were the sexual assaults by the football players about ten years ago too.

What a moronic comment Hawknick...you are better than this.

It is not moronic to hold the Pedo State program accountable for what happened, and to not want to associate with them.

t
I would not want to shake hands with people from a program that covered up the actions of pedophiles either. If nothing else but to show my opposition to the punishment being too light and ending too soon following such crimes. IMO they should have been kicked out of the Big Ten.

Yeah, well the kids on the field in Blue and White had NOTHING to do with the Ped State
prior Admin enabling a child abuser.

That being said, I'm actually glad Maryland won. Why? Because it helps Hawkeye Strength of Schedule.
However--------not shaking hands is classless, boorish,ignorant and not necessary. Glad they got hammered by BigTEN.

Last edited:
I thought they were doing it to show support for victims of child rape. Didn't know there was a fight before the game.

Latest posts