Martin Named to Buster Posey Award Watch List

RobHowe

Administrator
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa senior Austin Martin has been named to the Buster Posey National Collegiate Catcher of the Year Award Watch List, it was announced Monday by the Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission. It is the second straight year Martin has appeared on the list.

Sixty catchers were nominated for the award by their coaches and the list will be updated to include additional candidates until May 6. The watch list will be narrowed down to the semifinalists on May 19 and three finalists will be announced June 3.

Martin is one of five catchers from the Big Ten Conference named to the initial watch list, along with Jacob Campbell (Illinois), Dillon Dingler (Ohio State), Zac Fascia (Purdue), and Michael Trautwein (Northwestern).

The Altoona, Iowa, native has started all 13 games this season, where he is hitting .277 with one double, one home run, nine runs, and three RBIs. His lone home run was a walk-off shot, sending the Hawkeyes to a 5-4, 10-inning victory over No. 20 North Carolina on Feb. 29 at the CambriaCollegeClassic in Minneapolis.

Iowa returns to action March 10, hosting Kansas in the first of a two-game midweek series at Duane Banks Field. First pitch is set for 4:05 p.m. (CT).

Anytime I see that name, I can't help but think of the commercial where the wife is giving birth and Buster Posey is there to catch the baby and the wife isn't having any of it and the husband says...."Honey, you're embarrassing me in front of Buster Posey!" :)

Latest posts