Luck

WindsorHawk

Illinois is really good IMO and has 5 losses...doesn’t seem possible. Iowa is really good IMO and has 4 losses.

I look at Kenpom rankings almost daily. But I don’t ever look at the Luck ranking and decided to check.

Illinois #260
Iowa #267

So when it feels like things “only happen to Iowa.” It’s partially true...just bad luck.

Illinois is really good IMO and has 5 losses...doesn’t seem possible. Iowa is really good IMO and has 4 losses.

I look at Kenpom rankings almost daily. But I don’t ever look at the Luck ranking and decided to check.

Illinois #260
Iowa #267

So when it feels like things “only happen to Iowa.” It’s partially true...just bad luck.
The problem with that is: it doesn't ever stop.

1612065085217.png

Do or do not, there is no try. Teach defense better (hint that guy is still open in the corner) recruit better back court players.

That said........if luck means anything.....Iowa basketball comes up very short on it in it's better years.

Minnesota is #34. That’s probably part of the reason they also have 5 losses with what most would consider a lesser team.
Minnesota was like 334 last year, and may have been worse than that. Performance in close games determines a large amount of your luck factor.

Minnesota's luck is evening out. Iowa was one of the luckiest teams two years ago based mainly on the back to back buzzer beaters by JBo and Wiesy.

Minnesota was like 334 last year, and may have been worse than that. Performance in close games determines a large amount of your luck factor.

Minnesota's luck is evening out. Iowa was one of the luckiest teams two years ago based mainly on the back to back buzzer beaters by JBo and Wiesy.
Why doesn't it feel like that?

Here's a question. Can Kenpom dribble? Shoot? Play defense? Nope. I've never seen any player named Kenpom on any jersey. Or a coach named Kenpom. Luck. Good or bad happens and bad sometimes happens to Iowa at the worst possible times. I agree with Hayden, we need a better backcourt.

Why doesn't it feel like that?
Because its human nature not to pass any accomplishment off as good luck.

But its a lot easier to pass of a negative situation as bad luck. Ask Rutgers what they thought of Wieskamp' corner bank shot two years ago. They probably called it the luckiest shot they ever saw.

Speaking of buzzer beaters, anyone seen Portland's Damian Lillard sink the Bulls last night? Fadeaway three from at least 25, similar to the Northwestern State shot from 2006. And Portland had to hit another three from even further back just to make it a one possession game.

There are some dudes who can flat out shoot in that league, which is a big reason why many talented college players can't make it in the NBA.

Last edited:
Here's a question. Can Kenpom dribble? Shoot? Play defense? Nope. I've never seen any player named Kenpom on any jersey. Or a coach named Kenpom. Luck. Good or bad happens and bad sometimes happens to Iowa at the worst possible times. I agree with Hayden, we need a better backcourt.
Kenpom is my preferred ranking system and the one I always reference. You can take it or leave it. It’s not mandatory.

Because its human nature not to pass any accomplishment off as good luck.

But its a lot easier to pass of a negative situation as bad luck. Ask Rutgers what they thought of Wieskamp' corner bank shot two years ago. They probably called it the luckiest shot they ever saw.

Speaking of buzzer beaters, anyone seen Portland's Damian Lillard sink the Bulls last night? Fadeaway three from at least 25, similar to the Northwestern State shot from 2006. And Portland had to hit another three from even further back just to make it a one possession game.

There are some dudes who can flat out shoot in that league, which is a big reason why many talented college players can't make it in the NBA.
You just proved your own point with the Rutgers example. I'm sure their fans are still pissed about that Wieskamp shot, with absolutely no recollection of Geo Baker's lucky 3 right before that bounced around the rim and fell in.

The kenpom # that stands out to me is adjD where Iowa is 97th. I don't care that they are last in the Big Ten, but I do care if they are capable of getting that number down into the low 80's, high 70's.

Which would mean they wouldn't be playing stellar defense all the time, but would be getting stops at key moments in games.

Iowa is currently #6 in the net and they have 2 home games this week and people are losing their minds. Can’t wait to dunk on all the dumb dumbs on this site next week when Iowa gets serious love on the early NCAA first 16 show.

The kenpom # that stands out to me is adjD where Iowa is 97th. I don't care that they are last in the Big Ten, but I do care if they are capable of getting that number down into the low 80's, high 70's.

Which would mean they wouldn't be playing stellar defense all the time, but would be getting stops at key moments in games.
Somehow this sounds exactly the same as complaints posted regularly about the football team's offense.

Iowa is currently #6 in the net and they have 2 home games this week and people are losing their minds. Can’t wait to dunk on all the dumb dumbs on this site next week when Iowa gets serious love on the early NCAA first 16 show.
I have to admit. Three weeks ago I never would have thought our toughest game this week is OSU at home. I’m so glad they moved ahead of us in the AP. I dismiss the AP. But I’m sure the guys are aware.

Latest posts