Lineup

ibahawkeye

With the roster we have....

Connor
JBo
Joe
Nunge
Garza

I just can’t see Joe T coming in to start immediately but he’ll get minutes as backup PG.

Kriener could get starter like numbers as I think he could play alongside Nunge and Garza. Pemsl likely gets minutes at the 4 too.

CJ needs to be good. He’ll likely need to log they back up minutes for the 2 and the 3. Good news is both JBo and Joe will be playing 30 min a game. Riley Till is a bit Baer like. I wonder if he could play some 3 if needed. Patrick maybe play the 3? Can’t play the 4 until he gets bigger.

Anybody else have thoughts on what it looks like next year with the roster?

And introducing our new coach...Adolph Rupp.

Rupp chose to have an all-white team because he was a racist and that was the culture anyway in southern basketball.

Fran has a mostly white team because three African-Americans are transferring (two understandable, one a head-scratcher) and because he's missed on several AA recruits, despite trying pretty hard to get them.

I heard Nunge is up to 250 lbs. I see Jokic of the Nuggets is 250 lbs. and that guy is a beast. They have the same profile now, or sort of do, so, well, one can hope Nunge is at least a poor man's Jokic.

(two understandable, one a head-scratcher) and because he's missed on several AA recruits, despite trying pretty hard to get them.
Sorry, but his shit sammich goes waaaaaaay beyond some transfers and missing on a couple of guys the last week or so.

When you end up with this kind of roster it’s a sign that you have a long-standing and pervasive inability to recruit. We can spin it however we want, but this squad is living proof than Francis hasn’t been able to do a good job of bringing players in. He doesn’t get to use the bad luck excuse.

Connor would have to make an exponential jump to be a B1G starting level guard, but maybe that doesn’t matter. If I was the coach this is what I’d go with:

1: Toussaint 25 min / JBo 15 min
2. JBo 15 min / Frederick 20 min / Wieskamp 5 min
3. Wieskamp 30 min / P Mac 10 min
4. Nunge 28 min / Pemsl or Till 12 min
5. Garza 25 min / Kriener 15 min

I would tell Touissant you are out there for defense and ball handling. We don’t need you to score. With another ballhandler (potentially 2 with CJF) in the mix I don’t see a role for Connor. Pat hopefully can provide some energy minutes at the 3 and play hard on defense. At the 4 spot if we are playing an athletic team I’d go with Till for the spot backup minutes, if we need some inside scoring I’d go with Pemsl. Garza and Kriener will once again be a strong combo at the 5.

Last edited:
I heard Nunge is up to 250 lbs. I see Jokic of the Nuggets is 250 lbs. and that guy is a beast. They have the same profile now, or sort of do, so, well, one can hope Nunge is at least a poor man's Jokic.

Nunge gonna run the point? That's almost what the Joker is because he's such a good passer the offense can run through him. He might have the most unique game in the league/

Maybe Al Hortford who's 6'10 245. Has some post up game but probably more comfortable facing up and shooting mid range jump shots and can hit a set 3.

Connor would had to make an exponential jump to be a B1G starting level guard, but maybe that doesn’t matter. If I was the coach this is what I’d go with:

I would tell Touissant you are out there for defense and ball handling. We don’t need you to score. With another ballhandler (potentially 2 with CJF) in the mix I don’t see a role for Connor. Pat hopefully can provide some energy minutes at the 3 and play hard on defense. At the 4 spot if we are playing an athletic team I’d go with Till for the spot backup minutes, if we need some inside scoring I’d go with Pemsl. Garza and Kriener will once again be a strong combo at the 5.

I'm not sure Connor is the best answer at PG but I'll be shocked if he goes from 18 minutes a game to not being in the rotation at all as you have it above. Unless Connor were to decide to just play baseball, he's not going to be in the rotation with his Dad as the head coach. I just don't see it.

Toussaint as Mr. Basketball in NY seems like a great thing but his recruiting rankings weren't all that high. Hopefully Fran found an underrated recruit.

I'm not sure Connor is the best answer at PG but I'll be shocked if he goes from 18 minutes a game to not being in the rotation at all as you have it above. Unless Connor were to decide to just play baseball, he's not going to be in the rotation with his Dad as the head coach. I just don't see it.

Toussaint as Mr. Basketball in NY seems like a great thing but his recruiting rankings weren't all that high. Hopefully Fran found an underrated recruit.
I didn’t say the lineup I expected to see I said the lineup if I were the coach. Connor is going to get minutes, that much I’m certain of, if I were the coach I’m not sure he would.

Connor would had to make an exponential jump to be a B1G starting level guard, but maybe that doesn’t matter. If I was the coach this is what I’d go with:

It will take about 15 minutes of Pat getting folded up like a lawn chair for him to never see the floor again. He doesn’t have a shot and can’t play defense. It’s the real deal in this league, dunking on HS juniors doesn’t cut the mustard anymore.

Sorry, but his shit sammich goes waaaaaaay beyond some transfers and missing on a couple of guys the last week or so.

When you end up with this kind of roster it’s a sign that you have a long-standing and pervasive inability to recruit. We can spin it however we want, but this squad is living proof than Francis hasn’t been able to do a good job of bringing players in. He doesn’t get to use the bad luck excuse.

I think Fran has had pretty good luck at Iowa. I mean considering where it started, I'd say he's had tremendous luck and pretty good recruiting. 4 out of the last 6 years to the NCAA, 4 All B1G 1st round selections and starting 3 4 star players at the same time last season. That seems pretty good for what is likely considered the 11th or 12th best gig in the conference? The roster now includes Joe Wieskamp, the schools best outside shooter of all time in Jbo and Luka Garza .... Not winning B1G titles but not exactly a shit sammich either. The cupboard isn't bare, I don't really get all the hand wringing but whateves.

I think Fran has had pretty good luck at Iowa. I mean considering where it started, I'd say he's had tremendous luck and pretty good recruiting. 4 out of the last 6 years to the NCAA, 4 All B1G 1st round selections and starting 3 4 star players at the same time last season. That seems pretty good for what is likely considered the 11th or 12th best gig in the conference? The roster now includes Joe Wieskamp, the schools best outside shooter of all time in Jbo and Luka Garza .... Not winning B1G titles but not exactly a shit sammich either. The cupboard isn't bare, I don't really get all the hand wringing but whateves.
To me it’s similar to football. If a guy has a losing conference record and has never even made a sniff of a conference title or semi-deep tournament run in almost a decade, it’s time to part ways. Add to it the flip outs and that tips the scales. Temper tantrums from people who are losing consistently indicate a cry baby, not someone who’s getting screwed over.

It’s like the guy in your bowling league with a 164 average who constantly bitches about the lanes while a bunch of other people carry 200+ averages. At some point it’s just being a whiny bitch.

To me it’s similar to football. If a guy has a losing conference record and has never even made a sniff of a conference title or semi-deep tournament run in almost a decade, it’s time to part ways. Add to it the flip outs and that tips the scales. Temper tantrums from people who are losing consistently indicate a cry baby, not someone who’s getting screwed over.

It’s like the guy in your bowling league with a 164 average who constantly bitches about the lanes when a while bunch of other people carry 200+ averages. At some point it’s just being a whiny bitch.

what if the guy who averages 164 replaced your whiney wife who averaged 99? And that guy consistently went above his average after several years of practice and showed some signs that he could get better?

I like the temper, I like the attitude. That's just me, but I like him as a big baby with a short temper. One of my favorite things about Fran is that he's a lunatic.

Last edited:
what if the guy who averages 164 replaced your whiney wife who averaged 99? And that guy consistently went above his average after several years of practice and showed some signs that he could get better?

I like the temper, I like the attitude. That's just me, but I like him as a big baby with a short temper. One of my favorite things about Fran is that he's a lunatic.
His crap recruiting negates signs that he’s getting better. That’s my main beef with the guy. If you don’t consistently bring talent in to work with not even Mike Krzewcsyzeksrwecrzyski could win conference titles. Wieskamp doesn’t count because he didn’t have to be recruited whatsoever.

I don’t not want Fran to succeed, but the Hawkeye media and homers chalk the recruiting failures up to bad luck which is homerish bs. This is big time sports and you either get the job done or you don’t.

The temperment is not an asset.

His crap recruiting negates signs that he’s getting better. That’s my main beef with the guy. If you don’t consistently bring talent in to work with not even Mike Krzewcsyzeksrwecrzyski could win conference titles. Wieskamp doesn’t count because he didn’t have to be recruited whatsoever.

I don’t not want Fran to succeed, but the Hawkeye media and homers chalk the recruiting failures up to bad luck which is homerish bs. This is big time sports and you either get the job done or you don’t.

See, I'm just not on the page you are. And that's ok, we don't have to be. But Fran had 4 straight 1st team All B1G performers in separate years at Iowa? Not sure that's been done before but maybe. Last season we started 3 4 star players and 2 of them were from out of state. If you don't give Fran credit for Wieskamp, then on the other end of the spectrum, can fans just not count 2 seasons ago? It doesn't work that way. Fran gets credit for Wiesy, and he also takes blame for 2 seasons ago. The coach gets all the good and all the bad that goes with it.

@Fryowa also, my main gripe with Fran is definitely NOT his temper or his recruiting. It's his X's and O's and overall coaching that I have WAYYY more issue with. He's recruited well enough, not coached well enough imo

It will take about 15 minutes of Pat getting folded up like a lawn chair for him to never see the floor again. He doesn’t have a shot and can’t play defense. It’s the real deal in this league, dunking on HS juniors doesn’t cut the mustard anymore.
I’ve been as down on him as any, I was hoping he would redshirt, but we only have 10 scholarship guys. He's going to get minutes, at the 3 spot hopefully he won’t have to do much banging.

Don't disagree with most of what you said, just pointing out that Rupp and Fran isn't a great comparison. One was a racist, the other isn't.