Lance Armstrong Dilema

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
tough not to think that he cheated during his career. Let's assume he did.

He has also raised hundreds of millions of dollars through his charity organization. That said, he has made untold millions due to winning those TDF's and being considered the greatest cyclist of all time.

Was it worth it?

Also, I suspect most all of the cyclists he was competing against were taking similar shortcuts...that sport is filled with them. So if everyone is taking the same shortcut, he still won seven of those suckers.

Not an easy question/debate.

He was tested over 500 times (I think that is the number I heard) and had 0 positive tests. If he cheated he knew how to do it. Without evidence I can't say anything to the negative.

Also, why don't they just let it go, he hasn't competed in the TDF in a few years and is retired, leave him alone.

Unfortunately we live in a world where instead of "innocent until proven guilty," the media makes a claim and now its "guilty until proven innocent." And then you must play damage control for the rest of your life...

He has passed every test thrown at him, yet they keep chasing after him. Also pretty ironic that one of Lance's biggest enemies is the guy leading this charge.

I'm of the opinion that pretty much everyone competing against LA was doing more or less the same thing he was and he still won over and over and over again. I don't care and trying to rewrite history is pointless, he's retired and they could never prove anything.

For me, it boils down to taking personal responsibility and offering a mea maxima culpa when & where appropriate.
Virtually no one believes LA didn't dope/cheat during his remarkable run; the only people still proclaiming his innocence are him and his inner circle. His teammates are on record stating that he's dirty.
If he doped/cheated, he needs to stop with the charade and publicly admit it and own it.
And then he needs to get back to helping with cancer research and shut up about cycling forever.

America loves it's heroes. We love to build them up, and then we take sick pleasure when one of them fails/flames out. See: Tiger Woods...Roger Clemens...DJK! ;)
But then we like the redemption stories afterward. As long as it isn't too blatantly phony, that is. :rolleyes:

His teammates are on record stating that he's dirty.

These teammates were caught cheating, LA was not. If everyone is doing it, why are some people getting caught and some not?
Everyone knows LA didnt make a lot of friends along the way, all these "testimonies" and "witnessing of doping" comments are all here-say.

He has also raised hundreds of millions of dollars through his charity organization. That said, he has made untold millions due to winning those TDF's and being considered the greatest cyclist of all time.

Was it worth it?

Also, I suspect most all of the cyclists he was competing against were taking similar shortcuts...that sport is filled with them. So if everyone is taking the same shortcut, he still won seven of those suckers.

any cyclist, to a man, will tell you that he outworked them all, out trained them all. legendary.

all the rest of the 'stuff' is circumstantial, at best. did he? didn't he? he passed every drug test and won all the cases against him, even with the 'mountain' of circumstantial evidence 'again' him.

the usada has an agenda. the usada has no jurisdiction on international cycling. they are assuming (hoping to god) that the UCI backs them up here.

He was tested over 500 times (I think that is the number I heard) and had 0 positive tests. If he cheated he knew how to do it. Without evidence I can't say anything to the negative.

Also, why don't they just let it go, he hasn't competed in the TDF in a few years and is retired, leave him alone.

Agree completely. No failed tests=no problem.

Is the whole case based on testimony from butt-hurt former teammates with their own personal grievances and petty jealousies. Several of these guys had positive tests, did the whole denial thing, then were caught again. The Tour De France was barely relevant after Lance won all those races.

He is of the same ilk as Bernie Madoff. Both are frauds and both deep down know it yet they took short cuts to for temporary gains.

I'm kind of surprised (and disappointed) at reading so many "it's ok to cheat as long as you don't get caught" sentiments.
C'mon Hawk fans - we're better than that.

Who cares other than the losers? he was dominant, whether he had help or not JDs question was about the morality of it in hindsight with the chain of events due to his immortality i wear a livestrong bracelet! i probably never would have known about the different types of cancer if it werent for LA. i dont care if he cheated, his legacy about what was done for cancer awareness is unmatched.

i do like robin williams' take on it - he cheated by using chemo as a PED

Was it worth it?

Absolutely it was.

Is the whole case based on testimony from butt-hurt former teammates with their own personal grievances and petty jealousies. Several of these guys had positive tests, did the whole denial thing, then were caught again. The Tour De France was barely relevant after Lance won all those races.

Exactly

He is of the same ilk as Bernie Madoff. Both are frauds and both deep down know it yet they took short cuts to for temporary gains.

tumblr_m8m3qpuOCI1qm2tkg.gif

I'm kind of surprised (and disappointed) at reading so many "it's ok to cheat as long as you don't get caught" sentiments.
C'mon Hawk fans - we're better than that.

I once felt this way. But story after story on dopers in sports has worn me down. I'm now 'Rhoid Weary. I no longer care if athletes wanna destroy their bodies for temporary gain. It's their call.

I wish I didn't feel this way.:(

I once felt this way. But story after story on dopers in sports has worn me down. I'm now 'Rhoid Weary. I no longer care if athletes wanna destroy their bodies for temporary gain. It's their call.

I wish I didn't feel this way.:(

I really couldn't care less if people do steroids.

Latest posts