Kirk’s best coaching staff?

ibahawkeye

Is this his best?

I know Norm and Reese Morgan are legends but Greg Davis was a train wreck. We have had some bad years on special teams and

We still have KOK on staff from an offensive standpoint. Facilities are good. Recruiting has been improving and it shows with the depth.

There is the one who left for the lucrative career with Culver’s. I think he is back in coaching.

No, '99 to '02
This x 1000. What the staff accomplished in the first 4-5 years compared to all the rest of the years cannot even be compared. Light years better in terms of coaching, personnel, accomplishments. And don’t bring up the 12-0 year because that was shown to be a fraud. Philbin, Aiken, Morgan and Parker were the best coaches Ferentz ever had to go along with the other parker. Throw doyle in and that’s the reason for all of his “success”. That, and gary barta and his art of scheduling...with an assist to Delaney and the b10 west invention

This x 1000. What the staff accomplished in the first 4-5 years compared to all the rest of the years cannot even be compared. Light years better in terms of coaching, personnel, accomplishments. And don’t bring up the 12-0 year because that was shown to be a fraud. Philbin, Aiken, Morgan and Parker were the best coaches Ferentz ever had to go along with the other parker. Throw doyle in and that’s the reason for all of his “success”. That, and gary barta and his art of scheduling...with an assist to Delaney and the b10 west invention

How was 12-0 shown to be a fraud? They won every game on their schedule. They represented well in the Big Ten Championship game. Got drilled by McCaffery in a game they were hoping to not be playing in. 12-0 is 12-0.

How was 12-0 shown to be a fraud? They won every game on their schedule. They represented well in the Big Ten Championship game. Got drilled by McCaffery in a game they were hoping to not be playing in. 12-0 is 12-0.
Agreed, one shitty game (And it was shitty) doesn’t make the whole season a fraud. It was a letdown game with unfavorable travel. The only thing that got exposed was a lack of speed on defense, or at least too many DBs with hangovers.

I like Copeland and foster over Kennedy and white. I like KOK coaching QBs over derp derpvis.

Reese Morgan is a monstrous loss, but hopefully his recruiting can be replaced by newer guys recruiting high character guys from Indy and the b-list from Georgia.

Some dude named named Bret was also on that '99 staff, as well as the tail end of the Fry era, and was primarily responsible for recruiting the Florida talent that flourished from 2002-2004.

If the bowl game exposed the 15 team as frauds, then I guess the 02 team was a fraud too.
The ‘02 team was light years more talented on both sides and had a significantly better coaching staff. The game for a half to three quarters was a push and USC may have been the most talented team or top 2-3 in the country that year. The ‘15 team got completely exposed as a fraud by stanford, played an incredibly weak b10 west schedule and like always with ferentz/barta...played no one out of conference. Fraud/wildly overrated

Yeah, it's no different than the Dolphins and their undefeated season in '72 with respect to difficulty of opponents. You play the games you win the games. Period.

Agreed, one shitty game (And it was shitty) doesn’t make the whole season a fraud. It was a letdown game with unfavorable travel. The only thing that got exposed was a lack of speed on defense, or at least too many DBs with hangovers.

I have said it before. I was in Indy for the BT championship game and saw Iowa leave every drop of energy they had on the field in one of the hardest fought games I have ever seen. I hate that we got beat up in the Rose Bowl, but I am convinced we were just plain burned out.

I enjoyed the 2012 season immensely and still look back on it fondly, but it wasn’t an undefeated season unless you put a big huge asterisk on it. And asterisks are for Barry Bonds.

The Hawks lost the two most important games in Hawkeye football history, both in the same year, in a row.

Tough games, tough opponents, and it sucked bad, but saying we were undefeated is like saying OJ didn’t kill anyone from 1947 through 1993.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the 2012 season immensely and still look back on it fondly, but it wasn’t an undefeated season unless you put a big huge asterisk on it. And asterisks are for Barry Bonds.

The Hawks lost the two most important games in Hawkeye football history, both in the same year, in a row.

Tough games, tough opponents, and it sucked bad, but saying we were undefeated is like saying OJ didn’t kill anyone from 1947 through 1993.
Here’s to hoping recruiting trends give us enough talent to be competitive in a New Years Six bowl again. This year would be nice, would be great for Papa Ferentz to have something like ‘02, ‘04, or ‘09 before he passes the baton to son.

I gotta admit BF seems to be growing each year and building towards....something. Hopefully it continues, but I'm not about to say they're the best staff

Of course next year we have to break in a new QB so it could be back to square one as well