Kirk on McCall redshirt possibility from 11/15

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Q. If he wanted to red shirt now, could he?

COACH FERENTZ: Yeah. He's been out a ton. He's got an X-ray that would prove a pretty legitimate injury. The real surprise is that he has a chance to come back, and we'll just see how things go.

That can't be true I have seen a ton of posters on this site and others that say he can't redshirt now!!!! Maybe Kirk just hasn't been reading the forums to know whats going on???;)

Jon

I am hell bent about this soooo I called the NCAA and talked to a very nice lady that was very helpful.

In a nutshell...she told me that what this situation is going to come down to is if the medical staff and doctors and show that McCall was "incapacitated for playing the rest of the season" I said, there is some debate about what this exactly means. She said that basically it means that the player cannot play the rest of the season by any means. I said well what if he just sits out because the coach wants to save him a year, she said that that is why the documentation is needed from trainers and doctors so coaches cannot take advantage of this rule in certain situations. I said well what if the player can only get cleared for the bowl game but decides to sit out to get another year. She said that she wasnt sure if even then they would give a medical hardship.

I said what if this player is giving full release to play and practice by week 7, she said that in that case (with documentation proving this) that the player would not meet the requirements for a medical hardship waiver.

I know I will still be questioned and some will choose not to believe me, but this is what a lady told me from the NCAA.

Jon if you want to call its pretty easy to get in contact with someone and they were very helpful.

why people take anything KF says publicly as fact is beyond me. i dont even bother reading or listening to his press conferences.

Like many Hawk fans, I just want to know McCall's status. It sounded before like he was cleared to play, now he "has a chance to come back," and "we're going to see."

Not taking anything as fact, just curious what the answer is, as it seems to have big future eligibility ramifications (hate to use the "R" word and get get another thread going with the NCAA rules).

Jon

I am hell bent about this soooo I called the NCAA and talked to a very nice lady that was very helpful.

In a nutshell...she told me that what this situation is going to come down to is if the medical staff and doctors and show that McCall was "incapacitated for playing the rest of the season" I said, there is some debate about what this exactly means. She said that basically it means that the player cannot play the rest of the season by any means. I said well what if he just sits out because the coach wants to save him a year, she said that that is why the documentation is needed from trainers and doctors so coaches cannot take advantage of this rule in certain situations. I said well what if the player can only get cleared for the bowl game but decides to sit out to get another year. She said that she wasnt sure if even then they would give a medical hardship.

I said what if this player is giving full release to play and practice by week 7, she said that in that case (with documentation proving this) that the player would not meet the requirements for a medical hardship waiver.

I know I will still be questioned and some will choose not to believe me, but this is what a lady told me from the NCAA.

Jon if you want to call its pretty easy to get in contact with someone and they were very helpful.

You have problems.

obviously I am basing all of my arguement based on the fact that I know that McCall is practicing with contact now and that KF said he is cleared to play since Minney.

Jon

Oh My 'Lanta.

Like many Hawk fans, I just want to know McCall's status. It sounded before like he was cleared to play, now he "has a chance to come back," and "we're going to see."

Not taking anything as fact, just curious what the answer is, as it seems to have big future eligibility ramifications (hate to use the "R" word and get get another thread going with the NCAA rules).

i bet our opponent would like to know as well.

The point is, they can decide whether he is cleared to go or not. They have the x-ray showing the break and he hasn't played since. Who cares if Ferentz said previously that he was ready to go...maybe he tried to give it a go full contact in practice and realized he wasn't ready after all. Maybe the doctors observe him running and say he isn't ready. There is no way to prove anything one way or the other.

The fact is, he broke a bone and he hasn't played since. I'm guessing the rest relies on whatever the coaches and doctors decide they want to do.

Ferentz is banking on being able to use the X-Ray to prove it was an incapacitating injury. However, he has gone on record saying McCall is practicing.

It'd be interesting to see the paperwork that Iowa would have to come up to show he was out for the season.

The rules are clear when it comes to these injuries.

The point is, they can decide whether he is cleared to go or not. They have the x-ray showing the break and he hasn't played since. Who cares if Ferentz said previously that he was ready to go...maybe he tried to give it a go full contact in practice and realized he wasn't ready after all. Maybe the doctors observe him running and say he isn't ready. There is no way to prove anything one way or the other.

The fact is, he broke a bone and he hasn't played since. I'm guessing the rest relies on whatever the coaches and doctors decide they want to do.
This is true, the doctors will have to be able to construct a good enough story, with evidence, that will show he could not play again the rest of the year. They might even be able to show an X-Ray from November where the bone wasn't completely healed.

The entire point I have made from the start is that if the doctors classified him as "full participation", that will be on the documents, and at that point he cannot get a medical hardship waiver. It won't happen.

However, none of us will ever know what is on the documentation. Or the story Iowa presents the NCAA. Again, if McCall is healthy enough to play and has been documented as such, it's over for a medical hardship waiver.

This.

The whole thing is a game coaches play. Michigan is trying to play it right now with Gardner who Rodriguez stupidly played last year. The claim is a shoulder injury. McCall can and should get the redshirt at this point. I am going to be ****** if they play him now after they have already blown the season.

This is true, the doctors will have to be able to construct a good enough story, with evidence, that will show he could not play again the rest of the year. They might even be able to show an X-Ray from November where the bone wasn't completely healed.

The entire point I have made from the start is that if the doctors classified him as "full participation", that will be on the documents, and at that point he cannot get a medical hardship waiver. It won't happen.

However, none of us will ever know what is on the documentation. Or the story Iowa presents the NCAA. Again, if McCall is healthy enough to play and has been documented as such, it's over for a medical hardship waiver.

can you provide one example of this scenario happening in the history of college football?

can you provide one example of this scenario happening in the history of college football?

Most coaches will not file for the hardship if the player is healthy enough to come back. Most, if not all, the medical hardship waivers are filed for season-ending injuries.

Can you give me an example of where a player was healthy enough to come back middle of the season, get full participation, not play, and still received the medical hardship waiver after showing proof that the player was healthy?

Jon

You need a job

Jon

Seriously? You have issues.

I'm gonna call the NCAA and ask why fOSU is only loosing 5 schollies over the tattoo thing. Does anyone have a question they want me to ask?

Latest posts