Kirk Ferentz, motivation, and success

shonblatt

Kirk Ferentz is a really, really good program builder. He can take a team that is not expected to do much and coach them up and motivate them into winners.

But it's like he doesn't know what to do after that. He can build a program, but he can't maintain one.

I think Kirk requires that chip-on-the-shoulder, inferiority complex situation for him to be able to pull of his coaching magic successfully.

But not only is he not able to motivate/coach teams with expectations, but when the collapse begins, he's powerless to do anything about it.

This is what I see, anyway.

Discuss.

Kirk Ferentz is a really, really good program builder. He can take a team that is not expected to do much and coach them up and motivate them into winners.

But it's like he doesn't know what to do after that. He can build a program, but he can't maintain one.

I think Kirk requires that chip-on-the-shoulder, inferiority complex situation for him to be able to pull of his coaching magic successfully.

But not only is he not able to motivate/coach teams with expectations, but when the collapse begins, he's powerless to do anything about it.

Discuss.

Think that pretty well covers it.

We have a team that prides itself on a strong defense/running game.

Said team loses it's 3 top RB's and it's defensive coordinator; what exactly do you people think would happen?

Discuss.

We have a team that prides itself on a strong defense/running game.

Said team loses it's 3 top RB's and it's defensive coordinator; what exactly do you people think would happen?

Discuss.
That's a fair point - but has there been a season where Iowa has started off the year ranked in the top 10 and won more than 7-8 games?

Iowa always says "next man in", and during seasons where there are no expectations, Iowa seems to replace injured players just fine.

Discuss.

It does feel like the program gets to the edge of being there, but can't quite close the deal. 2005 was a disappointment after 2002-2004, added to by 2 years of backsliding. 2010 was a disappointment after 2008-2009. Here's hoping we don't repeat the 2 years of backsliding again. That would be hard to take, but I could see 7-5 coming again. Nebraska coming in. A recharged MSU. Michigan will have a new coach and new life. NW, who Iowa simply can't beat. It ain't going to get any easier, that's for sure.

I think you hit in on the head homes. He's going to have talent on the offensive side of the ball with almost all returning starters. D line wasn't dominant this year anyway...so as much as I"ve enjoyed cheering for Ballard and Claiborn they were far from dominant in ANY game with the exception of MSU this year.

I think the problem started with the players drinking the kool - aid. Then the coaches could not get them refocused and that is that. I agree something is happening been going on in the program since MSU game!

I think the downside to Kirk's "even keel" approach is that he couldn't turn the ship around when things started to go bad this year. Just kept trying to show up each day doing the same thing that got them this far. Today, Minnesota had their emotion turned up to 11 while the Hawks were playing at a 3.

Latest posts