Kirby to Illinois

A floating rumor (that I believe) is that Kirby already had his mind up BEFORE the visit. Thus, that would filter his perception of the visit big-time.

I'm willing to bet that the fact that his buddy Williams is leaning to the Illini certainly was an extra factor that helped to seal the deal.

Another victim of the Zook mindwarp.

unkydave -

It depends on what position Kirby wants to play.

Coach Vic Koennig's D will seem pretty attractive to a lot of recruits.

Oddly enough, quite apart from being a starter as a rookie ... Spievey's move from CB to safety possibly hurt Iowa's chances for some guys who want to be a NFL CB.

Recruits already knew that Iowa was excellent at developing safeties ... however, Iowa's rep at CB development could have used Spievey sticking at CB.

Anyhow, Iowa will simply have to go out and recruit guys who project ambiguously at DB and simply trying to develop them like we did with Bradley ... who is the lone guy who has stuck at CB.

And, FWIW ... I think that Nick Law is going to end up looking like the "genius" of the recruiting class. He's setting himself up pretty perfectly at safety at Iowa ... that is, assuming he throws himself into our system, works hard, and EARNS a starting gig.

I don't care where the guy ends up and such but it wasn't very classy how he plastered that crap about IC on his facebook page. He's getting a trip on the university's tab, the least he could do is be gracious to his hosts.

I realize this. It was just an opportunity to make a joke at the Zookster's expense. Besides, Iowa is just way to A$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

unkydave -

Oddly enough, quite apart from being a starter as a rookie ... Spievey's move from CB to safety possibly hurt Iowa's chances for some guys who want to be a NFL CB.

Recruits already knew that Iowa was excellent at developing safeties ... however, Iowa's rep at CB development could have used Spievey sticking at CB.

Anyhow, Iowa will simply have to go out and recruit guys who project ambiguously at DB and simply trying to develop them like we did with Bradley ... who is the lone guy who has stuck at CB.

I know recruits wouldn't see it this way, but I don't think it's a slight against our player development that our corners move to safety in the NFL. Our corners, particularly recently, have been taller players. Tall corners in college typically don't have the necessary fluidity in their hips to turn and run with NFL receivers, so they get moved to safety. Fletcher has done a terrific job at corner for the Rams, but even he is there out of necessity. He could be an even better safety.

unkydave -

I don't know how much that really affects the recruits, but I think that Lowery (freshman) and incoming Campbell really are CB recruits, not DB recruits. And it sounds like Taylor, Pitts and Carter are all true CBs. I think that Hendy is more of a Safety prospect.

hawkfarmer -

Iowa only has a chance to land Pitts if we go after him as a RB.

Aside from that ... Taylor and Carter are "true" CBs. However, for now, I anticipate that Carter ends up at Arizona.

As for Hendy ... I'm not quite certain where we're projecting him at. I think that we could be in the market for an ATH ... particularly providing us with a little bit more of an infusion of speed at WR.

I know recruits wouldn't see it this way, but I don't think it's a slight against our player development that our corners move to safety in the NFL. Our corners, particularly recently, have been taller players. Tall corners in college typically don't have the necessary fluidity in their hips to turn and run with NFL receivers, so they get moved to safety. Fletcher has done a terrific job at corner for the Rams, but even he is there out of necessity. He could be an even better safety.

Unfortunately, perception often trumps reality ... and recruiters like Bielema and Zook exploit that. At least Zook tends to stick to positive recruiting tactics. I absolutely hate the negative recruiting strategies that BB uses.

Champaign-Urbana is the worst "big-time" college town that I have ever been to and I have been to a lot. What a horrible place to spend 4 years. I would rather do time in Leavenworth than go to school there.

Champaign-Urbana is the worst "big-time" college town that I have ever been to and I have been to a lot. What a horrible place to spend 4 years. I would rather do time in Leavenworth than go to school there.

Yeah, but Ron Zook can bench press 400 lbs and yuck it up with the teenagers.

I don't care where the guy ends up and such but it wasn't very classy how he plastered that crap about IC on his facebook page. He's getting a trip on the university's tab, the least he could do is be gracious to his hosts.

Except for when the host is Matty Cakes :D Then he can talk crap all he wants.

If Iowa City is boring, I'd like to know that kid's impression of fun. It sure as heck isn't Champaign. If he has his mind made up, he shouldn't have even come to IC!

If Iowa City is boring, I'd like to know that kid's impression of fun. It sure as heck isn't Champaign. If he has his mind made up, he shouldn't have even come to IC!

Well, lets be honest. Kid was here when students had finished finals and gone home. Not to mention DT IC sucks now that the city council had its way with it. Throw in some ****** weather, it really wasn't gonna be much fun unless he likes bowling or going to a movie.

I'm not condoning what he said, but laying out some facts...

With 5 non-winning seasons out of six and Iowa's recruiting class rated higher than Zook's - I think we can RETIRE Zook's "GENIUS RECRUITER" label.

Per the rivals ticker. Since Iowa is boring and all.
You had him visit on 12/17. That is the week after finals week, when all the students have scattered home for Christmas. How is boring not a good term? That has to be the worst week to bring in a recruit. Unless they were going to go to Iowa all along, you are not going to sway a kid on that weekend.

You had him visit on 12/17. That is the week after finals week, when all the students have scattered home for Christmas. How is boring not a good term? That has to be the worst week to bring in a recruit. Unless they were going to go to Iowa all along, you are not going to sway a kid on that weekend.

He and williams were on an unofficial visit during the PSU game.

Latest posts