KF and Dr.Tom

Saginawbay

Everyone wanted to get rid of Dr.Tom could not take Iowa to next level and decade later still not good.

KF just needs some fresh ideas but is a solid overall coach.

I made a thread about this last night trying to compare the two coaches and situations. I agree that there needs to be some philosophy changes in our football program. If only Ferentz could take some of that Mr. Davis aggressive play into some of our football games. And if only Mr. Davis knew when to play a little more conservative at times.

I think change is where both coaches struggle. Being able to adapt the base philosophy when it does not work against the opposition.

KF is a GREAT coach. Didn't we win the Orange Bowl last season? I know everyone is disappointed with the loss yesterday but, for Christ's sake, this is not last year's team. We have some weaknesses on both sides of the ball, and special teams, but have won 7 games so far with tOSU coming to town next week. Our defense is not as strong as last year because our LBs are not Edds and Angerer. Not knocking the LBs, because I think they'll be fine in another season, but they aren't quite there yet. And despite what everyone here thinks, we are not loaded with a lot of great talent. More than NW and Indiana? Yes, but upsets and close games do happen. Our coaching staff makes the most with what they have and give Iowa a chance to win every single game. What more can you ask for? The positives. of our coaching staff (all of them) far outweigh any negatives.

I for one loved Tom Davis.

I have never really warmed up to KF, I don't know why? He is a great representative for the state and the Univ and he can stay as long as he wants to but, I have always had issues with him as a head coach.

I go back to the McCann Banks days. The fans had to boo McCann off the field before KF would make a change. That was a terrible disservice to McCann. This same scenario happened with Christiansen.

Look at Nebr this year... they had a returning starting QB in Zach Lee... a very Stanzi like solidly avg QB. Nebr insert Martinez and arguably they are a much better team having him run the offense.

If Iowa had a Martinez, do you think he would even see the field under KF? Not a chance....I really don't think KF is a great coach when it comes to putting the best possible team on the field

I really like what KF has done with the Iowa program, and i don't think any resonable fan could disagree.

But it is a lot like the Mr. Davis coached teams. We had success under Mr. Davis, finished well in the big 10, and made the dance more times than not, and always got to the 2nd round.

But when you build up excitement and expectations, the fans are going to wonder "hey, why can't we contend for a big10 title?" or "why can't we get out of the 2nd round?"

What is it going to take? Most of us thought Alford would be that guy. He could recruit better than Mr. Davis, and take us deeper into the tourney.

We were wrong. I still think Alford could do it, but he really soured his relationship with the fans with his attitude and learning on the job.

I think a majority of us fans are wondering what could KF and staff do differently to get us over the hump? I feel that Iowa is now at a level that could compete for a big10 title every year. And we definitely could have this year, but we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Iowa football cannot be taken seriously when it loses to NW, and Indiana more than it wins under KF. We should have lost to Indiana this year and last year, but luck was on our side.

We are all paying for a quality product, i think we're getting it for the most part. But what will our coaches say or do to show the fanbase that they have what it takes to beat these lower tier teams in the big 10?

Our schemes work great against most of the teams, because they have the athletes to run a traditional offense. The lower schools don't have the star power, so they make up for it in scheme.

WI, OSU, PSU, and at one time Michigan don't lose to IN, NW, MN, and Purdue. They just don't. But Iowa struggles against these teams? Why? Cause their schemes give us fits.

Other schools adapt and change their scheme to make sure they don't get embarrassed.

Just fed up with losing these type of games. You can't tell me that NW, IN, AZ are all better than us. They beat us cause we play a scheme that has us playing so tight that we can't make small mistakes. Feels like even if we have ONE penalty on a given drive, we're going to punt cause we can't make that difference up.

We have too much talent to feel like that. If we get beat straight up because we couldn't match our opponents....so be it. But to lose because we had a penalty, or ANOTHER mistake with the game clock, it's just too much.

I say this loosely, because i'm not sure if i even believe it anymore, but I do "trust" KF can right this......even though we have 10 years of the same mistakes being made.

He's adapted to playing freshman, changed recruiting habits, and there's no denying his staff is one of the best at teaching and developing talent.

It's time Iowa adapts and plays a little more loose. Not so predictable and boring on offense, and a willing to match what the offense is doing on defense. Not doing what we do because that's what we do.

Our defense made for stopping 2 min offenses, and it never will if we continue with bend but don't break. I'm fine with it, just switch it up when we need it.

KF is a GREAT coach. Didn't we win the Orange Bowl last season? I know everyone is disappointed with the loss yesterday but, for Christ's sake, this is not last year's team. We have some weaknesses on both sides of the ball, and special teams, but have won 7 games so far with tOSU coming to town next week. Our defense is not as strong as last year because our LBs are not Edds and Angerer. Not knocking the LBs, because I think they'll be fine in another season, but they aren't quite there yet. And despite what everyone here thinks, we are not loaded with a lot of great talent. More than NW and Indiana? Yes, but upsets and close games do happen. Our coaching staff makes the most with what they have and give Iowa a chance to win every single game. What more can you ask for? The positives. of our coaching staff (all of them) far outweigh any negatives.

I think we can ask for our coaching staff to coach better than the NW and IN of the big ten.

Yes, their coaching style keeps us in every game, but keeps EVERY team we play in the game unless the perfect storm happens. This year that's been twice, ISU and MSU. Otherwise we get a lead and we tank it, and they took it to new levels this year. PSU game gave us a glimpse of this tactic and a lot of us were upset even with that win.

As I said in my other post, no one is upset with what KF has built, no one. What's maddening is the lack of sound decision making that has plagued this staff since day one.

Iowa cannot run a 2 min offense (though get lucky once and a while). The defense struggles against passing teams, especially teams that have talented QBs who can make the 7-10 yard throw. Special teams are not good at all, which has gotten worse about every year since 2005.

I will not agree with the mindset of "they've given us so much, we're lucky". We did win the Orange Bowl last year, but it was due to lucky breaks throughout the season.

This season has been almost identical to last years, except we're not getting those same breaks. We're not getting a ball bouncing off of 5 different players and into Sash's hands for a 95 yard return.

Now we're leading almost every game going into the 4th Q and we're losing because of poor clock management, costly turnovers, and just ultra conservative play calling on offense.

I truly believe if we could fix the clock mgmt, and the conservative play calling, no one would be complaining about our defense.

The big question is, what is it going to take for Ferentz to change things up? Who is going to be that guy to say, you know what, changes need to be made. Barta?

The success Ferentz has had can be both a blessing and a curse. He has been just successful enough that he is virtually untouchable. That has brought the football program many good things, but might hinder further development of the program.

I think it's gotta come from the players. they are busting their butts and they are being let down.

KF i think showed a lot of humility after the WI game in his presser. He knows his staff blew that game.

And i think/hope that this season has been a wake up call to them, in that they have the talent, but it's not enough. Sometimes you have to change your ways in order to get a win.

The big question is, what is it going to take for Ferentz to change things up? Who is going to be that guy to say, you know what, changes need to be made. Barta?

The success Ferentz has had can be both a blessing and a curse. He has been just successful enough that he is virtually untouchable. That has brought the football program many good things, but might hinder further development of the program.

This.

To answer your question.... no one. To me people are content with the status quo. KF's seat will never be warm enough for him to make philosophical changes. The Iowa program is a 9-3/8-4 top 25 program nothing more, nothing less.

I am a sheeple and have accepted what the program is. I have too much of an emotional investment and followed the program for too long to be otherwise.

Christ, I can hardly stand to read any more of this garbage.

Where were we picked to finish in the Big Ten last season? 5th? We took the 5 time defending champs to the brink, in the Horseshoe, with our backup freshman QB and missed winning the title by an eyelash.

We then went to the Orange Bowl and won our first BCS bowl since the '50s. That was about 10 months ago.

We are one game out of first place during one of the most competitive seasons in the Big Ten in years.

Christ...what do you want? This season has crushed my soul, too, but what the hell do you people want? Read the first four paragraphs again.

It's not like we have some coach who is refusing to recruit black players or won't incorporate the forward pass into our wishbone offense.

Who are you people and how do you form these opinions?

This.

To answer your question.... no one. To me people are content with the status quo. KF's seat will never be warm enough for him to make philosophical changes. The Iowa program is a 9-3/8-4 top 25 program nothing more, nothing less.

I am a sheeple and have accepted what the program is. I have too much of an emotional investment and followed the program for too long to be otherwise.

Ferentz has won 10 or more games four times and could still make it five this year. I know some people get on here and try to remind fans about 70s, but what good is that if we can't even remember what happened TEN FREAKING MONTHS AGO?!

You cannot seriously compare a sustained record of second round NCAA tourney exits to four top-10 finishes and two conference titles. That's nonsensical.

Christ...what do you want? This season has crushed my soul, too, but what the hell do you people want?
I want this team to HANDLE teams that it should. The top-tier teams in the conference don't seem to have too much trouble with Indiana or NW. Something needs to change.

Mose, which top tier teams are you referring to?

Michigan? Wisconsin? Penn State? Michigan State? Are you really saying we need to make a change to emulate these teams, most of which we've dominated recently? Or we need to make a change to keep pace with Ohio State, which is enjoying an unprecedented run?

Are you just drinking and angry? That's ok, too. I was there yesterday. But let us help you through this.

Nobody is calling for KF to be fired. I'm just asking that we stop making the same mistakes year after year after year. Can we run a two minute offense without calling time outs with the clock stopped. Can we play a radical new defense called the nickel in 3rd and long instead of covering the slot with our MLB. Somehow other teams are able to do this.

Latest posts